Select Page

15th November 2021

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held virtually via teleconferencing on Monday 15th November 2021

Present:          Cllr Dewi Owen – Chair

Councillors:     Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis

                        Cllr Gareth Jones

                        Cllr Catrin O’Neill

                        Cllr Megan Reynolds

                        Cllr Bob Tyrrell

                        Cllr Dave Williams

                        Cllr Simon Worman

AGENDA ITEM 1 – Apologies

CL/101/15.11.21

Cllr Kelly, Cllr Owens

AGENDA ITEM 2 – Chairman’s Announcements

CL/102/15.11.21

The Chair reported that the Remembrance Sunday events were very successful with many people in attendance. Once again the weather was kind and it was dry and calm. The Council agreed that David and Gay Richardson should be thanked for all their hard work in making the events so successful in a Covid-safe manner. 

Action: Clerk to thank David and Gay Richardson.

AGENDA ITEM 3 – To receive and confirm minutes of meeting 20th October 2021

CL/103/15.11.21

Proposed: Cllr O’Neill             Seconded: Cllr Worman

Unanimously agreed

AGENDA ITEM 4 – Matters arising

CL/104/15.11.21

Page 34

M/51/(15.06.20) request for drinking water fountain.

It was agreed that the preferred site for the fountain is outside the Tourist Information Centre and to seek a site meeting with Snowdonia National Park to confirm it’s position, then go back to Gwynedd Council with our final proposal.

Action: Clerk to contact Mr. Jones

Page 35

M/107/(16.11.20) Subway improvements

The Clerk reported that the Streetworks department have informed her that it would not be possible to have artwork in the subway, due to ongoing maintenance and upkeep required.

40

The Clerk replied to them, asking if the project could go ahead if Community Council agreed to take on this responsibility, but has not heard back. It was agreed to contact them again, reiterating our willingness to take on the upkeep of the subway, if they keep responsibility for the lighting and electrics.

Action: Clerk to contact Gwynedd Council Streetworks team again.

M/166/(15.03.21) Football goalposts

These are due to be installed this week.

M/25/(17.05.21) Bus shelter

Has been installed

M/139/(18.02.21) Crack in sea wall

The Chair reported that he has been told that Gwynedd Council will be repairing this in the next few months.

M/42/(21.06.21) Bollards in Neuadd Dyfi car park

It was agreed that these needed to be stainless steel with padlock locking, so further research is needed before a decision can be made. It was also agreed to check the number of posts that need replacing now and possibly just replacing bollards as and when required.

Action: Chair and Clerk to meet and discuss which bollards need replacing now and report to next meeting

Action: Clerk to research stainless steel bollards with padlocks.

Page 36

M/56/(19.07.21) Parking problems on Seaview Terrace

Clerk has had an email outlining the process of applying for residents-only parking but the email was missing an attachment so the clerk asked for the attachment to also be sent. She is still waiting for this.

Action: Clerk to contact the parking department again to ask for the attachment.

M/76/(20.09.21) EV charging points

The Chair reported that this was discussed at the meeting with Gwynedd Council this morning and reported that they haven’t made a decision yet where they plan to install chargers. 

Page 37

M/91/(20.10.21) Community Needs Survey

The Clerk reported that the survey has now been translated and reminded the Council that they agreed at the last meeting to pay for this service, which is approximately £800. The Clerk will distribute it as soon as it is received and will arrange for it to be hosted on the Council website. She will also ask Deio Jones, the author to attend our December meeting to give a short presentation on the report.

Action: Clerk to distribute the survey report and arrange hosting on the website

Action: Clerk to invite Deio Jones to December Council meeting

41

Page 38

M/92/(20.10.21) Village Toilets

It was agreed that the toilets are not being maintained as the Council would like but Gwynedd Council are not interested in improving these facilities. The Clerk has asked Scrubadub to deep clean them once now and then again before the main season begins at Easter. It was agreed to keep a tally of the numbers on the counters in order to have evidence if / when something is done with the toilets. The Chair reported that many other Councils have reported similar and worse problems than those experienced in Aberdyfi and Gwynedd Council have agreed to look into the situation.

Cllr Bradbury-Willis asked if the Council should consider paying to have the toilets by the Neuadd Dyfi open during the winter though acknowledged it is probably too late to do it this year, but perhaps something that should be considered for next year. 

Action: Clerk to keep reading the counters at the beginning of the month.

Action: Clerk to provide counter figures at the next meeting.

Action: Clerk to check when the toilets by the Neuadd Dyfi will be closed and to ask how much it might cost to keep them open during the winter.

Page 39 

M/97/(20.10.21) Tywyn Minor Injuries Unit

Cllr Reynolds informed the Council that a meeting was due to be held recently, as they are now supposed to be happened every month, but the most recent one was cancelled due to illness. She will report when she has more information.

AGENDA ITEM 5 – Treasurer’s Report

CL/105/15.11.21

Proposed: Cllr Williams                      Seconded: Cllr Jones

AGENDA ITEM 6 – Gwynedd Council Report

CL/106/15.11.21

Harbour Users meeting last week and the harbour took more money than normal this year, so is in surplus unusually. A contractor has been appointed for the Harbour Wall Project is TMS Maritime Ltd, based in Cornwall and who have done many projects like this in the past, according to their website. The work is due to commence in February for possibly 4 or 5 month, but no other details are available yet. This work will have a huge impact on the village. The contractors will come to the village on 30th November for a meeting with interested parties, eg. Community Council, RNLI, Yacht Club, Outward Bound etc. and the Chair will also ask them to attend an open meeting sometime in December to enable the public to attend and ask any questions they might have. 

The Chair also informed the Council that the contractors will need storage space for portacabins, machinery etc. and he has been informed that this will be in the main car park, which will cause even more problems for the village.

All Councillors agreed that it is imperative that the work is done as soon as possible, despite the problems it will cause.

Action: Chair and Clerk to attend the meeting on 30th November and organise an open meeting in December. 

Action: Clerk to distribute plans to the councillors

42

Gwynedd Council Tourism meeting this morning. The Chair reported that it was estimated that there has been an increase in motorhomes visiting Gwynedd this year of 70%, with associated access and waste problems. Wild camping has also caused major problems in the National Park this year with rubbish etc. It was also reported that many people didn’t follow the Covid Rules that the Welsh Gov has put in place. One positive outcome has been that most attractions in Gwynedd saw a marked increase of 50% in visitor number this year. There was a shortage of accommodation this year, partly due to visitor numbers and partly due to hotels etc. being understaffed and some accommodation had to close part of each week due to no staff being available. There will be another meeting in a month to try to solve some of the problems faced by communities this year.

One issue has been that there have been many events happening in the National park that local and District Councils have been unaware of. One example is this last weekend in Aberdyfi, where a running event was held. The Chair had complaints this weekend from various farmers whose land the people were running through, as they were climbing gates marked ‘private’ and not following footpaths. The Clerk had no notification of the event either. It was agreed to write to the organisers, asking for information to be given to the Council before any future events.

Action: Clerk to contact the organisers

Cllr Jones informed the council about a large number of mountain bikes that came through the village recently and the Chair reported on groups going gorge-walking without permission and no-one knows who is organising these events. 

It was reported that there has been a trailer blocking parking bays at BrynGwylan for many months and the whole area looks a mess. It was agreed to complain to Adra regularly about this issue.

Action: Chair to contact Adra and Clerk to email Adra about this issue.

AGENDA ITEM 7 – Planning

CL/107/15.11.21

No applications were received this month

The Clerk reported that Snowdonia National Park have been in contact with the owners of the sheds being let on AirBnB and have asked them to submit a planning application.

AGENDA ITEM 8 – To consider purchasing extra waste bins for the village

CL/108/15.11.21

The Clerk reported that she emailed Steffan Jones asking how much it would cost to have extra bins in the village and he replied suggesting a meeting on site about waste and recycling in the village. The Clerk has agreed to this and is waiting on a date.

Action: Clerk and Chair to meet with Steffan Jones and report back

AGENDA ITEM 9 – To consider purchase of bollards for the Neuadd Dyfi car park

CL/109/15.11.21

Has been covered earlier in the meeting

43

AGENDA ITEM 10– To consider and approve budget for 2022/23

CL/110/15.11.21

Proposed: Cllr Owen                          Seconded: Cllr Tyrrell

Unanimously approved

AGENDA ITEM 11 – Correspondence

CL/111/15.11.21        

  • Gwynedd Council Local Development Plan

The Councillors did not have any comments on the plan

  • Snowdonia National Park Conservation Areas Project

The Park asked if it would be possible to attend one of the Council meetings to discuss this project.

Action: Clerk to give them dates of meetings

  • Fairbourne flood survey report

It was agreed to write to them explaining the problems in Aberdyfi on the wharf area, golf course, railway and sea wall. 

Action: Clerk to write to Arthog Community Council

  • Tree surgeons have cut down the trees in the playing field and new trees will be planted along the side of the playing field, the side of the recreation ground and by the golf-club car park. The hedge in the Neuadd Dyfi car park will also be extended to the full length of the fence.

AGENDA ITEM 12 – Items for consideration at future meetings / urgent business

CL/112/15.11.21

The Clerk asked the Council to approve the cost of attending a conference on Wednesday in relation to the pilot project of the Council Toolkit, of £45+VAT. It was unanimously agreed to fund this for the Clerk.

  • Community Needs Survey
  • Equipment for hybrid meetings
  • Bollards 
  • Report from meeting with Steffan Jones
  • Container
  • Potential cutting of path between cemetery and Gas Works.
  • Harbour project
  • Cutting hedge between OB and Picnic Island
  • Sand build up in village already 

AGENDA ITEM 13 – Items for release / Rushlight / website / Facebook

CL/113/15.11.21

  • RNLI Operations Manager
  • Reminder Rushlight on website and Facebook
  • Council need to be made aware of any activities in the village
  • Christmas Tree and Fireworks.
  • Advent windows

44

AGENDA ITEM 14 – Date of next meeting

CL/114/15.11.21

Monday 20th December 2021 at 7pm

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9:10pm

18th October 2021

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held virtually via teleconferencing on Monday 18th October 2021

Present:          Cllr Dewi Owen – Chair

Councillors:     Cllr Megan Reynolds

                         Cllr Dave Williams

                         Cllr Simon Worman

AGENDA ITEM 1 – Apologies

CL/82/20.10.21

Cllr Bradbury-Willis, Cllr Jones, Cllr Kelly, Cllr O’Neill, Cllr Owens, , Cllr Tyrrell

As the meeting was inquorate, it was rescheduled to Wednesday 20th October at 7pm.

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held virtually via teleconferencing on Wednesday 20th October 2021

Present:          Cllr Dewi Owen – Chair

Councillors:     Cllr Brian Kelly

                        Cllr Catrin O’Neill

                        Cllr Dai Owens

                        Cllr Megan Reynolds

                        Cllr Dave Williams

                        Cllr Simon Worman

AGENDA ITEM 1 – Apologies

CL/83/20.10.21

Cllr Bradbury-Willis, Cllr Jones, Cllr Tyrrell

AGENDA ITEM 2 – Chairman’s Announcements

CL/84/20.10.21

The Chair confirmed that this meeting was being held as the original council meeting on the 18th was inquorate.  He noted that the work has now finished at Nyth Robin but the road closure last week caused significant problems to those who needed to go towards Machynlleth from Aberdyfi. He also noted that there are currently four sets of traffic lights between Aberdyfi and Tywyn.

AGENDA ITEM 3 – To receive and confirm minutes of meeting 20th September 2021

CL/85/20.10.21

Proposed: Cllr Kelly                Seconded: Cllr Reynolds

Unanimously agreed

AGENDA ITEM 4 – Matters arising

CL/86/20.10.21

Page 26

M/51/(15.06.20) request for drinking water fountain.

Clerk has had a reply from Barry Davies, suggesting the drinking water fountain be placed under the canopy between the doors to the two public toilets and asking who would be responsible for the cleaning and maintenance of the fountain, also suggesting not to have a mouth fountain, instead one just to fill bottles, as this would present less of a health hazard.

It was agreed that the Community Council will take responsibility for the cleaning and maintenance and not to have a mouth fountain. It was agreed to re-visit the site and consider the location at the next meeting in November.

Action: Councillors to visit site before next meeting and Clerk to put on November agenda

34

M/107/(16.11.20) Subway improvements

Clerk hasn’t heard back from the streetworks department.

Action: Clerk to contact Gwynedd Council streetworks department again.

M/166/(15.03.21) Football goalposts

Barry Griffiths will install the football posts as soon as possible.

M/25/(17.05.21) Bus shelter

Clerk has been told the bus shelter will be installed in the next day or two.

M/139/(18.02.21) Crack in sea wall

Clerk reported that the responsibility for the crack below the shelter on Terrace Road is in dispute between Coastal Defence department and Highways department of Gwynedd Council. Cllr Worman pointed out that there is an erosion hole in the road in that area which could potentially have been caused by this crack. 

M/150/(15.02.21) CCTV

Cllr Kelly reported that the electrician is not responding to emails and attempts to contact him, so he is meeting with another electrician this week to discuss the work. Cllr Worman asked if responsibility for GDPR rests with the electrician or the owners / operators and contractors installing the cameras need a special licence for GDPR issues. It was unclear, although Cllr Kelly said it was the owners / operators. Cllr Worman will investigate and confirm if this is the case.

Action: Cllr Kelly to meet with the electrician this week. 

Action: Cllr Worman to clarify the GDPR situation.

Page 28

M/28/(17.05.21) Litter and bin problems

It was agreed there are still problems with litter in the village and to ask the person responsible for litter attend one of our meetings.

It was reported that there are still businesses who have already been reported to Gwynedd Council, that are still telling their customers to put their rubbish in the bins on the car park.

Action: Clerk to chase up enforcement team 

Action: Council to consider purchasing more bins before the season next year.

Action: Clerk to ask Gwynedd Council to check if Gwynedd Council requires businesses to provide proof that their rubbish is being collected before exemption is approved.

Action: Chair to ask Steffan at Gwynedd Council to attend one of our meetings

Page 20

M/42/(21.06.21) Correspondence

Bollards in Neuadd Dyfi car park

Clerk is still trying to source more robust bollards

Action: Clerk to source more robust bollards

35

Page 28

M/56/(19.07.21) Parking problems on Seaview Terrace

Clerk has phoned and left messages for the parking department twice asking how we progress getting resident-only parking in the village but has not heard back. 

Action: Clerk to contact the parking department again and copy in CEO of Gwynedd Council

Page 30

M/76/(20.09.21) To discuss EV charging points in the village

The Chair reported that Gwynedd Council have not yet reached a decision and the Clerk reported that the consultation is still live on their website.

Action: Chair to contact Gwynedd again

Page 32

M/78/(20.09.21) Picnic Island bridge

The Chair reported that the bridge work is still progressing well but Gwynedd Consultancy are being very slow in giving their permission for works to go ahead and Al Crisp told the Chair it is hoped that the bridge will be within budget and will be installed March / April next year. 

Action: Clerk to put in Rushlight

Action: Chair to impress on Gwynedd Council and Network Rail to work together positively for a quick installation.

AGENDA ITEM 5 – Treasurer’s Report

CL/87/20.10.21

Proposed: Cllr Williams                      Seconded: Cllr Reynolds

It was noted that the finance committee needs to meet before the next council meeting to prepare the budget for next year.

AGENDA ITEM 6 – Gwynedd Council Report

CL/88/20.10.21

The Chair reported that there was a meeting of the full council on 7th October and Gwynedd Council are trying to encourage younger people to apply for the elections in May and they will be losing 6 Councillors in the May elections, going down from 75 to 69 councillors.

Gwynedd Council have spent over £130k on equipment for hybrid meetings and it is hoped that many of their meetings will be hybrid going forward.

The Chair has received a request for the Council and the AA&I to support a FLAG project to develop the compound opposite the Trefeddian Hotel that is used by the fishermen. It is hoped to install a 40ft square hard standing with water and electricity. FLAG are willing to provide 62% of the cost, but are asking for support of up to £8k from the Council and AA&I. It was agreed to support the project and decide the split between the Council and AA&I once final costs are known.

Cllr Williams pointed out that the project needs to be mindful of the people who live next door to the compound as there may be some smell from the fisherman’s work.

Proposed: Cllr O’Neill                         Seconded: Cllr Kelly

Action: Clerk to contact FLAG 

36

The Chair reported that he had a meeting on Monday about home carers in Tywyn, as Gwynedd Council has recently taken over all the home caring for Tywyn as a pilot project. It was reported that the pilot has worked extremely well, with 35 carers organised by a coordinator based locally in Tywyn. Gwynedd are hoping to roll out this model elsewhere and are keen for feedback from people who the carers have visited. 

It was agreed that this has been a very positive and successful initiative by Gwynedd Council. One slight problem is that many of the carers were unable to find anywhere to park at times, so Gwynedd Council are looking into giving them parking permits.

Action: Chair to chase up parking permits for carers.

The Chair reported that it is hoped to name a contractor for the harbour project this week, with work starting in February for approximately 7 months, which is not good news for the village next summer, but it was acknowledged that this work needs done for the sea defence or Aberdyfi, so it is essential it is done. It was noted that the Community Council needs to have a discussion with the contractor, yacht Club, Outward Bound and the RNLI to discuss what exactly the plans are. 

Action: Chair to liaise with the relevant organisations to arrange a meeting as soon as possible.

AGENDA ITEM 7 – Planning

CL/89/20.10.21

NP5/50/L214 3 Nantiesiyn, Aberdyfi LL35 0NB

            Demolition of exisiting outhouse and erection of rear extension

No objections raised

            NP5/50/363F  Aberdyfi Lodge Park, Aberdyfi LL35 0RG

            Construction of 2 chalets in lieu of unconstructed chalets approved previously

No objections raised

            NP5/50/578B 4 Treflan, Aberdyfi LL35 0PN

            Erection of balcony on side elevation

No objections raised

AGENDA ITEM 8 – To consider purchasing equipment for hybrid meetings

CL/90/20.10.21

The Clerk informed the council that she and Cllr Kelly have discussed the issue and it would cost approximately £350 for a Television and webcam to allow the council to run hybrid meetings. Cllr Williams asked if purchasing a projector might be more portable and flexible.

Action: Clerk to research options and costs for projectors

AGENDA ITEM 9 – To discuss ‘Our Area 2035’ consultation

CL/91/20.10.21

It was agreed to set up a meeting with Gwen Evans for all the councillors to attend

Action: Clerk to arrange meeting with Gwen Evans and send invite to councillors.

Cllr O’Neill informed the Council that the Community Needs Survey results have now been collated but they need to be translated and asked if the Council would be willing to fund this 

37

translation. She also asked if the council would be willing to host the report on the website and to invite Deio Jones, the author of the report to give the Council a presentation on the report.

It was agreed to accept all three proposals.

Action: Clerk to liaise with Cllr O’Neill to arrange translation of the report and invite Deio Jones to a council meeting.

Action: Clerk to contact the web developer to arrange for the report to be hosted on the website

AGENDA ITEM 11 – To discuss condition of village toilets

CL/92/20.10.21

It was noted that Gwynedd Council have informed the Council that there is no money for them to upgrade the toilets, only for maintenance, so it was agreed to ask Scrubadub to deep clean the toilets now and again in the Spring before the main season starts at Easter. 

Action: Clerk to contact Scrubadub

AGENDA ITEM 12 – To consider purchase of programmes for the office computer

CL/93/20.10.21          

The Clerk reported that she needed to purchase applications such as Microsoft Word etc. for the computer and has been quoted £7.90 + VAT / month. Cllr Kelly informed her that there was a much cheaper way to buy what she needs. It was agreed to leave the decision for this purchase to the Clerk and Cllr Kelly.

Action: Cllr Kelly to liaise with the clerk to purchase programmes

AGENDA ITEM 13 – To consider quotes for work on allotment retaining walls

CL/94/20.10.21

It was agreed to accept the lower quote using wooden posts.

Action: Clerk to contact contractors

AGENDA ITEM 14 – To discuss pavement subsidence at bottom of Gwelfor Road

CL/95/20.10.21

Cllr Kelly informed the council that he has concerns about the depth of the subsidence of the pavement on the main footpath at the bottom of Gwelfor Road. It was agreed to inform Gwynedd Council of these concerns.

Action: Clerk to report the subsidence and Council’s concerns to Gwynedd Council.

AGENDA ITEM 15 – To discuss joining the pilot of the self-assessment toolkit for councils

CL/96/20.10.21

It was agreed that it would be useful to join the pilot scheme being run by OneVoice Wales

Action: Clerk to register interest in joining the scheme.

AGENDA ITEM 16 – Correspondence

CL/97/20.10.21

  • Consultation on dangerous use of personal watercraft

Action: Councillors urged to complete the survey and encourage others to do so.

38

  • Councillor survey on the role of a councillor and public perception of the role.

Action: Councillors urged to complete the survey

  • Excessive noise of grounds contractor

It was agreed to talk to him about the noise of his equipment.

Action: Clerk to speak to the ground’s contractor

  • Tywyn Minor Injuries Unit

It was noted that the Unit will open again and the GP service and other services in the hospital will all be run by Betsi Cadwallader Health Board from early next year.

Action: Clerk to put in Rushlight

  • Email concerning holiday let accommodation at Plas Panteidal

Clerk has given them details of Gwynedd Council and recommended they contact the health and safety department.

  • Guide to taking part in the Queen’s Jubilee celebrations

It was agreed to discuss this closer to the time

  • Tree sculpture update

The Clerk has met with the sculptor and agreed how much of the tree to leave and has contacted the tree surgeon to arrange a meeting to discuss when the trees will be taken down.

  • Tree planting update

The Clerk has been in contact with Snowdonia National Park and it Is hoped that the trees round the playing field will be planted in November sometime and it is hoped to involve some of the children from Aberdyfi.

  • Day on the Quay

Neil Storkey has asked if the Day on the Quay can be held in the playing field next year, given that the wharf will probably be unusable due to the work on the wharf happening at that time. 

It was agreed that this will be acceptable.

Action: Clerk to contact Neil Storkey

AGENDA ITEM 17 – Items for consideration at future meetings

CL/98/20.10.21

Community Needs Survey

AGENDA ITEM 18 – Items for release / Rushlight / website / Facebook

CL/99/20.10.21

Picnic Island Bridge

50th Anniversary of O’Neill’s Hairdresser’s

GP practice not closing

Booster jabs

Drop-in centre

Remembrance Sunday

AGENDA ITEM 15 – Date of next meeting

CL/100/20.10.21

Monday 15th November 2021 at 7pm

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9:05pm

39

20 September 2021

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held virtually via teleconferencing on Monday 20th September 2021

Present: Cllr Dewi Owen – Chair

Councillors:

Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Brian Kelly

Cllr Catrin O’Neill

Cllr Dai Owens

Cllr Megan Reynolds

Cllr Bob Tyrrell

  Cllr Dave Williams

Cllr Simon Worman

AGENDA ITEM 1 – Apologies

CL/67/20.09.21

Cllr Jones

AGENDA ITEM 2 – Chairman’s Announcements

CL/68/20.09.21

The Chair remarked how busy the summer has been and how nice it was to see people in the village, particularly for the businesses, although it did cause problems with rubbish and parking. He also remarked how nice it was to see traffic wardens in the village at 7am and suggested the council write to the traffic wardens thanking them for this and asking them to come more often, particularly on Sundays. It was agreed to do this.

Action: Clerk to write to the traffic wardens.

AGENDA ITEM 3 – To receive and confirm minutes of meeting 19th July 2021

CL/69/20.09.21

Proposed: Cllr Kelly Seconded: Cllr Reynolds

Unanimously agreed

AGENDA ITEM 4 – Matters arising

CL/70/20.09.21

Page 17

M/51/(15.06.20) request for drinking water fountain.

It was agreed to write to Mr. Jones at Snowdonia National Park confirming that the Community Council will pay for 100% of the water bill and drainage for the Tourist Information Centre and to write to Gwynedd Council asking for permission to site the fountain next to the Tourist Information Centre.

Action: Clerk to write to Mr. Jones and Gwynedd Council

26

Page 18

M/107/(16.11.20) Subway improvements

It was agreed to contact the streetworks department of Gwynedd Council  to seek permission for artwork in the subway, as suggested by Mr. Adrian Williams. 

Action: Clerk to contact Gwynedd Council streetworks department. 

M/166/(15.03.21) Football goalposts

2 quotes were considered and one for £320 was accepted. Quotes had also been submitted for work on the allotments, one of which quoted using recycled plastic posts and one using wooden posts. It was agreed to ask the cheaper one to resubmit using plastic posts instead of wooden ones and for the quotes to be discussed at the next meeting.

Action: Clerk to appoint Barry Griffiths to install the football posts and to ask to quote again using plastic posts. 

M/25/(17.05.21) Bus shelter

Clerk has ordered a bus shelter for the bus stop by the Neuadd Dyfi and it will be installed in the next month or so. The clerk asked Gwynedd Council if it would be possible to install a bus shelter at the stop opposite St. Peter’s church, but they replied that there isn’t enough room for wheelchairs and the shelter is too close to the sea, so there would be maintenance problems. 

M/139/(18.02.21) Crack in sea wall

Cllr Reynolds reported that she has been told by the harbourmaster that Gwynedd Council will not do anything until something changes in the sea wall. 

Action: Chair to contact Gwynedd Council to clarify

M/150/(15.02.21) CCTV

Cllr Kelly reported that the electrician is not responding to emails and attempts to contact him. It was suggested we install the cameras ourselves as it does not involve electrical work. It was agreed for Cllr Kelly to keep trying to contact the electrician.

Action: Cllr Kelly to contact Ron Thomas 

M/24/(17.05.21) New Dyfi Bridge project

The Chair reported that he has been told that the project will be delayed by at least 10minths due to difficulties in obtaining materials. 

Page 19

M/26/(17.05.21) 20mph proposals

Clerk has spoke to Iwan ap Trefor and has been told that in 2023 all minor roads in Aberdyfi will become 20mph and before that time, Gwynedd Council will consult with the Community Council about which sections of the main road will become 20 mph. 

The clerk also took the opportunity to ask him to change the waiting limit in the village from 45 minutes to 1 hour, as this was causing major problems for local residents. He will consult with his team and consider our request.

Action: clerk to follow up 

27

M/28/(17.05.21) Litter and bin problems

Clerk passed 2 quotes to Gwynedd Council and has had permission to instruct Dylan Jones to replace the fence by the fire station. She is currently waiting for a date when the work will be carried out.

It was noted that the street cleaners had been working extra hours and working very hard over the summer to keep on top of the rubbish problems in the village. It was agreed for the clerk to contact them to pass on the thanks of the Community Council for all their hard work.

Action: Clerk to contact the street cleaners with thanks. 

It was noted that many second homes, holiday lets and even some businesses do not pay for their recycling and put it in the main rubbish bins. The clerk and chair both reported that they have both spoken to Gywnedd Council and have been told that they will sort it for next year.

The Chair reported that the CEO of Gwynedd Council is keen to attend one of our meetings and he suggested that this would be a good time to express our concerns over the rubbish problems to the CEO. 

Page 20

M/42/(21.06.21) Correspondence

Bollards in Neuadd Dyfi car park

Clerk is still trying to source more robust bollards

Action: Clerk to source more robust bollards

Gwelfor Road subsidence

Clerk has spoken to Iwan ap Trefor and asked if a weight limit can be put on Gwelfor Road. She was told they will send an engineer to inspect the road and they will decide on their recommendation. The Chair reported that the builders have told him that they are not even half way through the concrete work on Balkan Hill, so there is a lot of concrete stull to go up Gwelfor Road.

Action: clerk to contact Iwan ap Trefor for an update

Page 22

M/56/(19.07.21) Parking problems on Seaview Terrace

Clerk has emailed the parking department twice asking how we progress getting resident-only parking in the village but has not heard back. It was agreed to talk to the CEO of Gwynedd Council about this as well. 

Action: Clerk to contact the parking department again.

Page 23

M/63/(19.07.21) Overnight camping at Morfa Gypsies

Clerk purchased and put 4 No Camping signs high up in the trees on Morfa Gypsies but they 

were taken down within a week. Cllrs reported that most people camping there were 

28

responsible campers and did not leave any rubbish in the area, though there is concern over Morfa Gypsies becoming a focus for people camping. It was agreed to talk to the CEO of Gwynedd about this and for the clerk to clarify who is responsible for this area of land. 

Action: Clerk to contact the legal department of Gwynedd Council to clarify the situation.

AGENDA ITEM 5 – Treasurer’s Report

CL/71/20.09.21

Proposed: Cllr Kelly Seconded: Cllr Tyrrell

Cllr Tyrrell noted that the clerk seems to be doing more than her contracted hours and proposed that it be formalised that the Clerk logs the hours she works and is paid for those each month. It was unanimously agreed to use this system.

Proposed: Cllr Tyrrell Seconded: Cllr O’Neill

AGENDA ITEM 6 – Gwynedd Council Report

CL/72/20.09.21

The Chair reported that there hasn’t been a meeting of the full Gwynedd Council, so there is nothing to report. Cllr Williams suggested that the full Council discuss what lessons Gwynedd Council have learned from the last 6 months and what they plan to do differently going forward to solve the problems. 

AGENDA ITEM 7 – To consider co-opting a new councillor

CL/73/20.09.21

The Chair wished to extend the thanks of the whole Community Council to James Bradbury-Willis for all his work on the Council over the past 7 years. He was extremely helpful with setting up the website and helping with IT issues in particular and he will be missed. 

As there are elections next May, the final meeting of this Council will be in March, so it was agreed not to co-opt a councillor at this time and to add to Rushlight that there is a vacancy but we will not be co-opting as so close to the elections, but look forward to receiving applications in May. The Clerk reported the changes to council applications that are being considered by One Voice wales. 

Action: Clerk to add this to Rushlight

AGENDA ITEM 8 – Planning

CL/74/20.09.21

NP5/50/738 Medley Cottage, Rhoslan, Aberdyfi, LL35 0NS

Erection of single storey garage and extend exisiting patio

No objections raised

NP5/50/L442A Argoed, Aberdyfi, LL35 0LE

Construction of front and side extention, including front balcony

No objections raised

NP5/50/147P Nyth Robin Campsite

Notice of appeal to the Welsh Minister

It was agreed to offer Nyth Robin more support if required

Action: Celrk to contact Nyth Robin and offer ongoing support

29

NP5/50/734 Cartref, Aberdyfi, LL35 0NR

Change of title of application

No objections raised

12 Penhelyg Road – the Clerk has been told by Snowdonia National Park that they will allow this development as they would have allowed a planning application to go through had one been submitted.  Cllr Bradbury-Willis asked if there is still a local occupancy clause on this house, as it seems to be being let out as a holiday let and it is unclear if this is allowed.

Action: Clerk to clarify the situation

The Clerk reported that she has contacted Snowdonia National Park about sheds in gardens being let out on AirBnB and was told that they would need planning permission to do this so SNPA will write to the owners.

AGENDA ITEM 9 – To consider returning to face to face meetings

CL/75/20.09.21

It was agreed to hold the October meeting remotely as we need to obtain equipment in order to run hybrid meetings before going back to face to face. It was agreed to get quotes for this and to discuss at the next meeting. It was noted that face to face meetings could be held in the Neuadd Dyfi initially and everyone could do lateral flow tests beforehand. 

It was agreed to leave the final decision to the Chair and Clerk

Action: Clerk to obtain quotes for hybrid meeting equipment. 

AGENDA ITEM 10 – To discuss EV charging points in the village

CL/76/20.09.21

The Chair is still waiting to hear from Gwynedd Council where they intend to site Electric Chargers in the County, so will contact them again for an update. He reported that the Neuadd Dyfi is planning to apply for a grant to install electric chargers there and Cllr Williams reported that they have a solution which will not impact on any of the parking spaces in the Neuadd Dyfi car park.

Action: Chair to contact Gwynedd Council

AGENDA ITEM 11 – To consider taking control of the children’s playground in Mase Newydd

CL/77/20.09.21

It was agreed not to pursue this at this time and revisit once the main playground project has been completed.

AGENDA ITEM 12 – Correspondence

CL/78/20.09.21

Benches

The Clerk reported that she had a very positive meeting with Bryn Hughes from Gwynedd Council and it was agreed that the concrete benches on SeaView Terrace will be removed and the wooden benches will be spread out along the terrace. Mr Hughes confirmed that the benches on the promenade are their responsibility and will be removed in the winter for 

30

maintenance and put back in the spring. He confirmed that the concrete benches in the playground are the responsibility of the Community Council to remove and the ones in the wharf area are the responsibility of the maritime department. 

It was agreed to spray the wooden benches to stop mould growing on them.

Action: Clerk to ask Aled to spray the benches

Cllr Tyrrell reported that the planters in the wharf gardens were disintegrating and it was agreed to put this on the agenda for the October meeting. 

Request for support

It was agreed to write a letter of support and give other support if needed.

Action: clerk to contact the resident and find out what support they would like. 

Toilets

Clerk has had various emails complaining about lack of locks, hand driers not working and the general state of the toilets. She has passed the comments onto Gwynedd Council but has been told that there is no money for improvements, only maintenance. 

Road closure

The Clerk reported on the road closure in October. It was noted that it will cause major problems in Happy Valley, despite the diversion going vai Talyllyn. 

Action: Chair to ask Gwynedd Council to post a person at each end of Happy Valley to police the number of people going through the valley. 

Action: Chair to contact Gwynedd Council

Cemetery Tip area

The Clerk reported that there is an agreement in place between Gwynedd Council and the gold club to use this area.

Email from the new owners of the Britannia Inn

It was agreed to reply, welcoming them to the village and wishing them all the best in their venture.

Action: Clerk to reply to email

Health watchdog request for feedback

It was agreed to put in Rushlight

2nd home tax consultation

It was agreed to put in Rushlight

Places 4 Nature 

Rachel Carter, Places 4 Nature officer from One Voice Wales would like to present to the Community Council at some point.

It was agreed to invite her after new Council is in place in May.

31

Picnic Island Bridge

The Chair reported that they are hoping it will be installed at the end of October.

Action: Chair to contact Outward Bound to find installation date.

AGENDA ITEM 13 – Items for consideration at future meetings

CL/79/20.09.21

Toilets

Hybrid equipment

Picnic Island Bridge

Wharf Planters

Playing field

Pavement subsidence at bottom of Gwelfor Road

AGENDA ITEM 14 – Items for release / Rushlight / website / Facebook

CL/80/20.09.21

Drop-in Centre

Health watchdog survey

2nd home tax survey

Road closure

Councillor vacancy and May elections

Minor Injuries unit is open in Machynlleth

AGENDA ITEM 15 – Date of next meeting

CL/81/20.09.21

Monday 18th October 2021 at 7pm

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9:50pm

32

19th July 2021

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held virtually via teleconferencing on Monday, 19th July 2021

Present were:                   Cllr Dewi Owen – Chair

Councillors:                     

Cllr James Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Brian Kelly

Cllr Catrin O’Neill

Cllr Dai Owens

Cllr Megan Reynolds         

Cllr Dave Williams

AGENDA ITEM 1- Apologies

CL/46/19.07.21

Cllr. Bob Tyrrell

AGENDA ITEM 2- Chairman’s Announcements

CL/47/19.07.21

The Chairman welcomed everyone and remarked how busy the village is and will be for the next couple of months.

AGENDA ITEM 3 – Receive & confirm minutes of meeting 21st June 2021

CL/48/19.07.21

Proposed: Cllr. Reynolds Seconded: Cllr. Kelly

Unanimously approved.

AGENDA ITEM 4 – Matters arising

CL/49/19.07.21

Page 10     

M/51/(15.06.20) Request for drinking water fountain

Clerk has still has no reply from Mr. Jones but spoke to Snowdonia National park planning department who said they’d seen our letter and would chase it up.

Action: Clerk to chase up

Page 11

M/106/(16.11.20) Playground seating

Seating has been installed and looks very good. Cllr. O’Neill informed the council that there will be an article in the Cambrian News shortly.

17

Cllr O’Neill requested that a crowdfunding page or similar be set up for donations for new equipment for the playground. It was agreed that this was a good idea and to delegate arranging this to the Clerk and Cllr. O’Neill.

It was agreed to clear the weeds from the playground.

Action: Cllr. O’Neill and Clerk to set up an online fundraising option for donations.

Action: Clerk to arrange for weeds etc. to be cleared from the playground

M/107/(16.11.20) Subway Improvements

Clerk reported that still nothing has been received from Adrian Williams at Gwynedd Council Highways. The Chair reported that he had spoken to Mr. Williams 3 weeks ago and Mr. Williams informed the Chair that someone would come to look at the subway, but he has not had any contact since.

Action: Chair to contact Mr. Williams again

M/139/(18.02.21) Crack in Sea Wall

Cllr Reynolds informed the Council that the harbourmaster has been trying to contact the flood defence team about the various cracks in the walls but they have not responded to him. It was agreed to contact Gwynedd Consultancy to see

M/150/(15.02.21) Installing CCTV

Cllr Kelly reported that Ron Thomas has agreed to do the work and will meet with Cllr Kelly to ensure they are put in the correct position.

M/166/15.03.21 Buying football goalposts

Clerk is waiting for quotes to install the goalposts

Action: Clerk to chase up.

Page 12

M/24/(17.05.21) New Dyfi Bridge Project

The Chair informed the Council that the bridge is facing delays because of difficulties in obtaining supplies, as most of the supplies are currently being diverted to the HS2 project. This will have a knock-on effect on the finishing date of the bridge project.

M/25/(17.05.21) Providing a bus shelter

Clerk has had permission to install a bus shelter at the Neuadd Dyfi bus stop, but has been told that it is for the Community Council to buy and maintain. The Clerk shared a quote for a bus shelter for £5,079.31 (ex-VAT) with the council and it was agreed to go ahead with buying the shelter and agreed to ask the AA&I for a donation towards the cost.

It was questioned if this was the right place for a bus shelter as perhaps opposite

18

the church would be a good site. It was agreed to see how this one works out and look at the possibility of installing one at the church if residents request it in the future.

Proposed: Cllr. Kelly                 Seconded: Cllr. Reynolds

Unanimously approved

Action: Clerk to purchase bus shelter and to write to AA&I requesting a donation towards the cost

M/26/(17.05.21) 20mph proposals

The Clerk hasn’t had any reply from Gwynedd Council yet.

Action: Clerk and Chair to chase up Iwan ap Trefor and talk to Outward Bound if required to add pressure to obtaining a 20mph zone.

The Chair reported that he has met with Gwynedd Council about the overgrown verges on the outskirts of the village, as they are obscuring road signs on the side of the road and he has seen car mirrors there in the last few weeks. He has been assured that Gwynedd Council will cut back the growth, but it hasn’t been done yet.

Action: Chair and Clerk to chase up.

The Clerk reported that Gwynedd Council have told her a fence on the footpath between the Penhelig and Hillside Village will not be installed.

M/28/(17.05.21) Litter and bin problems

Clerk has spoken to Caron Jones, Waste and Recycling Officer for Gwynedd Council, and has had permission to extend the area by the fire station over one of the parking spaces, to create a larger recycling area. She is waiting for quotes to replace the fence. Caron Jones is keen to see much better recycling facilities for the village.

Action: Clerk to arrange for fence to be replaced

Clerk has written to Gwynedd Council saying we believe that there are several properties in the village who do not pay council tax and do not pay for refuse collection either. Caron Jones has passed this onto the enforcement team, but the clerk hasn’t heard from them yet.

Action: Clerk to chase up

Cllr Reynolds reported that the glass recycling bins have finally been emptied.

It was noted that there might be a move to make all properties that are let out as businesses to be licensed, which may help with the commercial waste collection problem.

19

It was agreed that the clerk will write to all businesses in the village again, asking them to ensure their rubbish is disposed of correctly.

Action: Clerk to write to all businesses and letting agencies in the village.

Page 13

Quotes for tree sculpture carving

The clerk reported that both quotes do not include VAT, as neither are VAT registered. The 2 quotes were considered and it was agreed to accept quote 2.

Proposed: Cllr Owen                   Seconded: Cllr O’Neill

Action: Clerk to write to both companies with the decision.

Page 14

M/42/21.06.21 Correspondence

Bollard in Neuadd Dyfi car park

Clerk reported that she has spoken to Geri Davies, who installed the original bollards, and who told her that in his opinion, the one there at the moment are not robust enough, as several have already had to be replaced and he recommended replacing them with better ones. The clerk is currently trying to source more robust bollards.

Action: Clerk to source more robust bollards

Page 15

Gwelfor Road subsidence

Clerk reported that she spoke to Sian Wilkes, who told her that there has never been a weight limit sign there, though it is possible to apply to have one from the traffic department. It was agreed to pursue this.

Proposed: Cllr. Owen                Seconded: Cllr. Kelly

Action: Clerk to apply for a weight limit sign on Gwelfor Road

Complaints re: sand on promenade and in car aprk

Clerk reported that the harbourmaster told her that the prom would be cleared as soon as possible. She has also had a reply from both Barry Davies and Ceri Thomas, assuring her that the sand will be cleared from the car park before the main season starts.

AGENDA ITEM 5 – Treasurer’s Report

CL/50/19.07.21

The Clerk informed the Council that the new bank account is now in place

Proposed: Cllr. Williams             Seconded: Cllr. Kelly

Unanimously approved

20

AGENDA ITEM 6 – Gwynedd Council Report

CL/51/19.07.21

The Chair reported that much of the recent meeting was taken up with discussions about local housing issues and there may be a few houses built in Pennal and Tywyn, but there is no land owned by Gwynedd Council in Aberdyfi. Cllr. O’Neill reported that the housing group in the village had met with Gwynedd Council and Snowdonia National Park and had asked them why the money taken from the second homes in the village etc. is not being spent in the village. They replied that if we propose projects, they will spend the money in the village.

AGENDA ITEM 7 – Planning

CL/52/19.07.21

NP5/50/734         Cartref, Aberdyfi, LL35 0NR

Alterations inclusing installation of external staircase and dormer window on rear.

No objections were raised

          NP5/50/LB64       Minafon, 20 Seaview Terrace,  Aberdyfi, LL35 0LL

          Listed consent for removal of kitchen window at rear and part of external w        all, door frame and replace door.

          No objections were raised.

          NP5/50/562P      Chalet 62, Plas Panteidal, Aberdyfi, LL35 0RF

          Retrospective application to extend decking

It was felt this was an overdevelopment, the decking too extensive and too close to other properties.

Action: Clerk to lodge objection

NP5/50/375D      2 Corbett Lane, Aberdyfi, LL35 0RB

Renewal of planning permission for construction of garage

No objections were raised

It was asked if the extension at 12 Penhelig Road had been given planning permission. The clerk reported that she had reported it to Snowdonia but hadn’t heard anything back.

Action: Clerk to find out what has happened about this property and planning application.

Cllr Reynolds requested the clerk to find out if letting out a shed on AirBnB requires planning permission.

Action: Clerk to contact the planning department

21

AGENDA ITEM 8 – To discuss parking problems in Seaview Terrace

CL/56/19.07.21

Cllr Reynolds reported that there have been many problems recently with residents of Seaview Terrace not being able to park and requested that the Council write to Gwynedd Council asking for Seaview Terrace to be made into residents parking only, especially as the residents are paying a yearly parking fee already. Cllr Reynolds spoke to Eleri Hughes at Gwynedd Council a few weeks ago about this issue but hasn’t heard back.

Action: Clerk to write to Gwynedd Council requesting Seaview Terrace be made into residents parking only.

AGENDA ITEM 9

Cycle path update and to consider buying land for the project

CL/57/19.07.21

It was reported that the knotweed has been sprayed and will be done again at the end of October and yearly thereafter until it has been eradicated. It has been suggested by Meilir Hughes that Aberdyfi Community Council might buy the 20 acre site, currently owned by Gwynedd Council, alongside the railway to the old gas works. It was noted that the cost of maintaining the site may be high, given that the drainage ditch normally gets dredged every few years as well as the knotweed problem. It was noted that the Community Council was offered the land a few years ago and it was decided then not to buy it, as there were too many unknowns, given the proximity to the road and the railway line, which might cause issues in the future in terms of clarity of responsibility for different aspects of the land. The Chair reported that many years ago people used to use this area for dumping waste so there is potentially a problem in the future with waste which has been left there and may be contaminating the land. It was agreed not to purchase the land.

Proposed: Cllr. Owen                Seconded: Cllr. O’Neill

The Chair reported that Gwynedd Council have £325,000 to do the next phase of the cycle path between Caethle and the Cemetery, but there are currently problems with two landowners who don’t want to give permission, so potentially much of this money may be spent sorting these types of problems, as well as on drawing up new plans. The Chair reported that the recent consultation for the cycle path received over 800 signatures for our cycle path, compared to just over 200 for any of the others under consideration. The £325,000 is only for the first phase, more money will be allocated as the project progresses.

22

AGENDA ITEM 10 – To discuss RoSPA report

CL/58/19.07.21

It was noted that nothing urgent needs done as a result of the report, though it was agreed to arrange for the weeds to be cleared.

It was noted that there are some negative feelings in the village about the removal of the helter-skelter slide, but Cllr O’Neill reported that the slide does not conform to current guidelines as in the report, so it is a RoSPA decision that it needs to be replaced, not a Community Council decision.

Action: Clerk to arrange for the weeds to be cleared.

AGENDA ITEM 11 To consider buying signs to appeal for crowdfunding for new playground equipment

CL/59/19.07.21

It was agreed to create a working group to restart the playground project and organise a fundraising campaign, including buying some signs to put up in the playground as part of this campaign.

Action: Cllr. S. Bradbury-Willis and Cllr. O’Neill to set up a working group and Clerk to liaise with Cllr O’Neill to arrange a fundraising campaign.

AGENDA ITEM 12 – To approve a social media policy.

CL/60/19.07.21

It was agreed to approve the social media policy put before the council.

Proposed: Cllr. Williams            Seconded: Cllr. Reynolds

AGENDA ITEM 13 – To consider delegation of powers to the Clerk, Chair and Vice-Chair during summer recess

CL/61/19.07.21

It was agreed to delegate powers during summer recess

Proposed: Cllr. Kelly                 Seconded: Cllr: S. Bradbury-Willis

AGENDA ITEM 14 – To consider purchase of new office computer

CL/62/19.07.21

The Clerk reported that she has been having some major issues with the computer again and as it is now 7 years old, she would like to buy a new one. It was agreed to purchase a new office computer.

Proposed: Cllr. Reynolds           Seconded: Cllr. Williams

Action: Clerk to liaise with Chair and Vice-Chair to purchase a computer.

23

AGENDA ITEM 15 – Correspondence

CL/63/19.07.21

  • An email was received from a resident who lives at the top of the hill, who does not drive and who is unable to walk to the village. They are asking if there is anything that the Community Council can do to help them be less isolated, suggesting perhaps a taxi service between the top and bottom of the village.

It was noted that several communities have tried to organise this in the past, but the practicalities of buying a vehicle, finding volunteers and insuring the venture were very problematic and weren’t successful. It was reported that a Barbara Bus used to run locally, possibly out of the Trefeddian. It was agreed for the clerk to investigate if a Barbara Bus is a possibility and also to contact the Gwynedd community connector to see if she has any ideas that could help. Cllr S. Bradbury-Willis will give the clerk the community connector details for Powys.

Action: Clerk to contact community connectors and find out more information about the Barbara Bus.

  • Complaints have been received about people camping overnight on Morfa Gypsies.

It was agreed to buy some signs stating ‘No Overnight Camping’ and put them on the site.

Action: Clerk to buy some signs

  • Complaints about parking on the pavement by the golf club.

The Clerk reported that she has spoken to the traffic wardens who have told her there is nothing they can do about cars parked on the pavement by the golf club as there are no yellow lines on the road and it is a police matter as it is obstruction. Some people have tried to report it to the police and have been told it is a Gwynedd Council matter. However, the clerk was informed by the company doing the bus shelter that there needs to be 1.2m clear for pedestrians on a pavement, so if cars are not leaving this gap, then it is clearly obstruction. The clerk urged all councillors to spread the word for people to report this obstruction to the police as well as the council and hopefully some action may be taken. She also urged the councillors to ask residents to report problems straight to Gwynedd Council as well as to the Clerk, so that the whole village is involved in reporting problems, not just the clerk, as she feels Gwynedd Council do not necessarily take any more notice of her than residents.

AGENDA ITEM 16 –Items for consideration at future meetings / urgent business

  • Climate Emergency group update

24

AGENDA ITEM 17 – Items for release / Rushligjht / website / Facebook

  • Ask if there are residents who would use a Barbara Bus to guage interest
  • Community Needs survey
  • Thanks to the beach clean group
  • Thanks to the refuse collectors

AGENDA ITEM 18 – Date of next meeting

Monday 20th September 2021, 7pm

It was noted that this meeting may be face to face, but a decision will be taken closer to the time.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.15pm       

25

21st June 2021

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held virtually via teleconferencing on Monday, 21st June 2021

Present were:                  

Cllr Dewi Owen – Chair

Councillors:                     

Cllr Brian Kelly

Cllr Catrin O’Neill

Cllr Dai Owens

Cllr Megan Reynolds

Cllr Bob Tyrrell       

Cllr Dave Williams

Public: Pat Hellen

AGENDA ITEM 1- Apologies

CL/33/21.06.21

Cllrs J. Bradbury-Willis, S. Bradbury-Willis and Jones

AGENDA ITEM 2- Chairman’s Announcements

CL/34/21.06.21

The Chairman welcomed everyone and remarked how busy the village has been in recent weeks because of the good weather.

AGENDA ITEM 3 – Receive & confirm minutes of meeting 17th May 2021

CL/35/21.06.21

Proposed: Cllr B Kelly      Seconded: Cllr M Reynolds

Unanimously approved.

AGENDA ITEM 4 – Matters arising

CL/36/21.06.21

Page 4       

M/51/(15.06.20) Request for drinking water fountain

Clerk emailed Edward Jones on 20th May requesting convenient dates to meet but has had no reply.

Action: clerk to email again and copy in CEO of Snowdonia National Park

Clerk emailed Planning department of SNPA asking if any planning permission would be needed for a drinking fountain, but has had no reply.

Action: Clerk to chase up

10

M/106/(16.11.20) Playground

Seating is still awaiting back boards.

M/107/(16.11.20) Subway Improvements

Clerk reported that still nothing has been received from Adrian Williams at Gwynedd Council Highways or Sean Wilkes. Cllr Jones suggested going higher up Gwynedd Council.

Action: Clerk to keep trying to contact both as well as emailing someone higher up the organisation.

M/139/(18.02.21) Crack in Sea Wall

The Clerk confirmed that this is now included in the monthly inspection list for the harbourmaster.

Page 5

M/150/(15.02.21) Installing CCTV

Cllr Kelly reported that Ron Thomas has agreed to do the work and will meet with Cllr Kelly to ensure they are put in the correct position.

M/164/15.03.21 Community Needs Survey

Cllr O’Neill reported that it has now been finalised and is currently being translated and will soon be uploaded to the system. The wording of the letter going out to each household is also being finalised and should go out very soon.

M/166/15.03.21 Buying football goalposts

These have been delivered and need to be installed, which seems to be a larger job than first thought, so it was agreed to get someone to put them in.

Action: Clerk to contact Geri Davies to ask if he will install them.

Page 6

M/23/(17.05.21) Cycle Path

Cllr Tyrrell reported that he and the Clerk had spoken to Iwan ap Trefor and were told that Gwynedd Council now has funding in place for the next phase of the project, which involves making sure the engineering problems can be overcome and all the relevant land is able to be used. For instance, he mentioned that they have had problems contacting the owners of a cottage to see if they can buy a slice of their land to enable the cycle path to go ahead.

Cllr Williams reported that Neil Storkey is hoping to meet with network Rail this week about the cycle path between the Cemetery and the village.

Action: Clerk to keep in contact with Iwan ap Trefor for updates.

11

New Dyfi Bridge Project

Clerk has spoken to Gail Jones, public liaison officer for Griffiths, who are doing the work and was told that the disruption to traffic will only happen at the beginning and end of the project.

The Clerk also reported that when the work is done on the Aberdyfi side of the old bridge to install pumps, the road will not be closed but instead traffic will be controlled with traffic lights.

Action: Clerk to invite Gail Jones to a meeting later in the year.

Page 7

M/25/(17.05.21) Providing a bus shelter

Clerk has sent photos to Gwynedd Council and they are sending an inspector to look at it this week and will get back in touch once they have done costings etc. the clerk confirmed that it will hopefully be installed on the Neuadd Dyfi side of the road.

M/26/(17.05.21) 20mph proposals

The Clerk wrote to Iwan ap Trefor and had reply saying he is on holiday until 14th June, but has still not had a reply.

Action: Clerk to contact Iwan ap Trefor again

Cllr Williams asked if the fence had been replaced on the footpath between the Penhelig and Hillside Village, but no-one could confirm this is the case

Action: Clerk to check if the work has been done and contact Gwynedd Council if not.

Correspondence

M/28/(17.05.21) Litter and bin problems

Cllr Tyrrell informed the council that homes which are let out and run as a business should be paying for litter collection as they do not pay council tax.

It was agreed to write to Gwynedd Council asking them to ensure these and all other businesses in the village do indeed pay for their refuse collections, as the rubbish problems are having a massive effect on the village.

Action: Clerk to write to Gwynedd Council saying we believe that there are several properties in the village who do not pay council tax and do not pay for refuse collection either.

Cllr Reynolds and the Clerk reported that the recycling bottle banks by the fire station are overflowing and Gwynedd Council said that the company that empties the glass recycling bins are short-staffed and do not want to come this far South to empty the bottle banks. Gwynedd Council are trying to sort out the problem.

12

The clerk reported that she had spoken to Caron Jones from Gwynedd Council about the green bins opposite the chemist. He is more than happy for these bins to be put by the fire station where the glass recycling bins are. Before they are put there, the fence needs to be repaired and he asked if we could get two quotes from local contractors for the work. It was noted that if the green bins are put there, the area inside the fence will need to be extended to allow space for the extra bins.

Action: Clerk to get two quotes for repairing the fence and confirm with Caron that the area can be extended.

The Clerk reported that she had been contacted by a member of the public who had seen that staff from the Britannia Inn have been seen leaving bags of food rubbish next to the bins, meaning that birds etc. break the bags and leave a mess of food everywhere. The person also reported that Council refuse collectors had been seen having arguments with staff from Coast, as the staff from Coast were throwing rubbish bags across the road and shouting abuse at the Council workers. He also believes that Coast have now only 1 commercial bin, even though they have two businesses.

Action: Clerk to write to Coast and the Britannia Inn and Gwynedd Council.

Action: Clerk to put litter and rubbish problems on the agenda for next month

Page 8

Quotes for tree sculpture carving

It was agreed not to go for quote 2 as it was too expensive and agreed to ask if the other quotes include VAT and if the person in quote 1 can send photos of an example of a bird of prey they have previously done. The two quotes will be considered again next month.

Action: Clerk to write to all concerned and put on agenda for next month

Tywyn Health Centre

The Clerk spoke to the practice manager who told her that their phone system is controlled by Betsi Cadwallader Health Board, as the phone system for the hospital and GP’s practice was amalgamated when it was replaced after the fire. The practice manager confirmed that between 8am and 8.30am, there should be a message giving a number to call for emergencies and she said she would call it the next day to make sure the message is correct.

Action: Clerk to write to Betsi Cadwallader Health Board complaining about the phone system

Action: Clerk to put a notice in Rushlight explaining it is possible to make routine appointments via their website as well as via phone.

13

AGENDA ITEM 5 – Treasurer’s Report

CL/37/21.06.21

The Clerk informed the Council that everything should be transferred over to the new bank by this Wednesday, 23rd June.

Proposed: Cllr. Kelly        Seconded: Cllr Williams

Unanimously approved

AGENDA ITEM 6 – Gwynedd Council Report

CL/38/21.06.21

Chair reported that there was nothing currently to report from Gwynedd Council

AGENDA ITEM 7 – Planning

CL/39/21.06.21

NP5/50/346C      9 Terrace Road, Aberdyfi

          Construction of terrace in rear garden

No objections were raised

          NP5/50/589A      Ael y Don, Gwelfor Road, Aberdyfi

          Extension to existing patio at the front.

          No objections were raised.

AGENDA ITEM 8 – To consider quotes for tree sculpture carving

CL/40/21.06.21

Discussed under matters arising

AGENDA ITEM 9 – To consider request to use playing field for running event 16th and 18th July

CL/41/21.06.21

A request had been received for people taking part in a running event to camp in the playing field by the Neuadd Dyfi on the night before and night after the event. It was agreed that it would cause a lot of noise, disruption to locals and destroy the grass, as well as setting a precedent, so it was decided not to give permission.

Action: Clerk to reply to request

AGENDA ITEM 10 – Correspondence

CL/42/21.06.21

  • Bollard in Neuadd Dyfi car park

Clerk reported that one of the bollards had been destroyed

Action: Clerk to contact Geri Davies and ask if he can replace it

14

  • Brown bin.

The Clerk reported that visitors had filled the brown bin purchased for the wharf garden waste with normal waste, so she organised for it to be collected and put signs on the bin saying it is only for garden waste.

  • Offer of fairground attractions

The Clerk reported that we have had an offer of fairground attractions for use in the future.

  • Gwelfor Road subsidence

The clerk reported that there are a large amount of heavy lorries and cement mixers going up and down Gwelfor Road and causing subsidence. The Councillors all remember signs at the bottom saying a weight limit, which has now been changed to a long vehicle sign.

Action: Clerk and Chair to contact Gwynedd Council

  • Complaints from visitors not able to get onto the promenade with a wheelchair or mobility scooter due to the amount of sand that is on the car park and on the promenade. Even if the sand wasn’t there, they were concerned that they couldn’t get through the gates with a wheelchair.

Action: Clerk to email harbourmaster, Barry Davies and CEO of Gwynedd Council

  • Seaview Terrace parking problems

Agreed to put on agenda for next month

  • Cllr Kelly reported that the sign board at the Gas Works is disintegrating and the clerk replied that it is in hand and being repaired.
  • Cllr Kelly reported that the path behind Rhos Dyfi is overgrown. The clerk said she would check if we normally get it done or if it is Gwynedd Council’s responsibility.
  • The Chair reported that the undergrowth on the Network Rail side of the road going out of the village is encroaching onto the road.

Action: Clerk to contact Gwynedd Council

AGENDA ITEM 11 – Items for consideration at future meetings / urgent business

CL/43/19.04.21

EV chargers

Consider when to return to face to face meetings

Seaview Terrace parking problems

Aluminium signs for crowdfunding for playground project

Painting playground wall

Social media policy

Tree sculpture quotes

15

AGENDA ITEM 12 – Items for Rushlight / Website / Facebook

CL/44/21.06.21

Remembering Muriel

Beach Clean

Make appointments via website at Tywyn Health Centre

Please put rubbish in the bins

AGENDA ITEM 15 – Date of next meeting

CL/45/21.06.21

Monday 19th July 2021, 7pm

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.05pm       

16

17th May 2021

Minutes of the thirty-sixth Annual Meeting of the Aberdyfi Community Council and thereafter the minutes of the ordinary meeting of said Council held virtually via teleconferencing on Monday, 17th May 2021

Present were :-                 Cllr Dewi Owen – Chair

Councillors :-                   

Cllr James Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Brian Kelly

Cllr Catrin O’Neill

Cllr Dai Owens

Cllr Megan Reynolds

Cllr Bob Tyrrell       

Cllr Dave Williams

Cllr Simon Worman

Public:                             Pat Hellen

AGENDA ITEM 1- Apologies

CL1/AM/17.05.21

Cllr Gareth Jones

AGENDA ITEM 2- Chairman’s Announcements

CL/2/AM/17.05.21

The Chairman welcomed everyone and thanked them for their work over the past year.

AGENDA ITEM 3- Annual Return

CL/3/AM/17.05.21

The Annual Return for 2020/21, done in conjunction with Steve Lister, was presented to Council for approval.

Proposed: Cllr Kelly         Seconded: Cllr Williams

Unanimously approved.

AGENDA ITEM 4 – Election of Officers 2021/2022

CL/4/AM/17.05.21

Chairman

Cllr Dewi Owen was nominated for the position of Chair.

Proposed Cllr Williams     Seconded Cllr Worman

Agreed unanimously

1

Vice Chairman

Cllr David Owens was nominated for position of Vice Chair.

Proposed Cllr Williams     Seconded Cllr Tyrrell

Agreed unanimously

CL/5/AM/17.05.21

Planning Committee

The whole Council

CL/6/AM/17.05.21

Aberdyfi Advertising and Improvements Committee

The whole Council, except for Cllr Tyrrell

CL/7/AM/17.05.21

Aberdyfi Literary Institute Management Committee

Cllr G Jones (Chair)

CL/8/AM/17.05.21

Harbour Advisory Committee

Cllr Tyrrell

CL/9/AM/17.05.21

One Voice Wales

Cllr D Owen and Cllr O’Neill, with Cllr Williams as deputy

CL/10/AM/17.05.21

Neuadd Dyfi Management Committee – Councillors with a vote

Cllrs Owen, Reynolds, Williams, Kelly and J. Bradbury-Willis

CL/11/AM/17.05.21

Richard Williams and Richard Roberts Trust Fund

Cllrs Owen, Jones and S. Bradbury-Willis with Cllr Reynolds as Chair and Cllr Williams as Trustee

CL/12/AM/17.05.21

Lewis Lloyd Trust

Cllr Reynolds

CL/13/AM/17.05.21

Meirionnydd Access Group

Cllr O’Neill

2

CL/14/AM/17.05.21

Tywyn and District Memorial Hospital Appeal Fund

Cllr Reynolds with Cllr Tyrrell as deputy

CL/15/AM/17.05.21

Allotment sub-committee

Cllrs Jones (Chair), O’Neill and J. Bradbury-Willis

CL/16/AM/17.05.21

Finance Committee

Cllrs Owen (Chairman), Owens (Vice Chair) and S. Bradbury-Willis with Cllr Tyrrell as deputy.

CL/17/AM/17.5.21

Caravan Site Committee

Cllrs Reynolds, Owen, Williams, Kelly and S. Bradbury-Willis.

CL/18/AM/17.05.21

Re-appointment of Internal Auditor

Council re-appointed Mr Steve Lister for the year 2021/22, in accordance with minute CL/133/20.1.20

Proposed: Cllr Tyrrell                Seconded: Cllr Kelly

Agreed unanimously

CL/19/AM/17.05.21

Standing Orders and Financial Regulations

The Council agreed its willingness to adopt these documents, copies of which are available for inspection in Council office.

Proposed: Cllr Tyrrell                Seconded: Cllr O’Neill

Agreed unanimously

THE BUSINESS OF THE ORDINARY MEETING IS NOW RECORDED

Cllr S. Bradbury-Willis joined the meeting at this point.

AGENDA ITEM 5 – To receive and confirm minutes of Ordinary Meeting 19th April 2021

CL/20/17.05.21

Proposed Cllr Kelly                    Seconded Cllr Williams

Agreed unanimously

3

AGENDA ITEM 6  – Matters Arising

CL/21/17.05.21

          Page 71

          M/51/(15.06.20) Request for drinking water fountain

The Clerk had a reply from Mr. Jones, asking for clarification on various points on the project.

It was agreed to ask for a site meeting with Mr. Jones to clarify all his points, Cllr O’Neill to contact Refill UK for clarification and the clerk to talk to the planning department at SNPA. Cllr Kelly confirmed that the Community Council has previously agreed to pay for the water and associated costs with the water fountain.

Action: Clerk to ask Mr. Jones to do a site visit and meet with councillors to address the points raised. Cllr O’Neill to ask Refill UK for answers to points raised by Mr. Jones. Clerk to ask SNPA planning department if there are any planning implications. Cllr O’Neill to re-circulate a photo of the proposed fountain to all councillors. Clerk to add to agenda for June

          Page 72

          M/106/(16.11.20) Playground

Cllr O’Neill informed the council that GL Jones is still waiting for the Perspex for the back of the shelter to be delivered and apologised for the delay in installation. The shelter is finished, all except for the Perspex. As soon as they received the Perspex they will install the shelter.

          M/107/(16.11.20) Subway Improvements

The clerk has had a reply from Adrian Williams, in which he asked for sight of the proposals. It was agreed to write back to him, explaining the process the council hopes to go through (asking for artists to submit proposals or a competition) and asking for approval in principle. It was also agreed to ask in the first instance that the subway be cleaned up, as at present it is very dirty.

Action: Clerk to write to Mr. Williams

M/139/(18.01.21) Penhelig Toilets development

Chair informed the council that he has spoken to Gwynedd Council and the clerk has written to Gwynedd Council, expressing the council’s concern about the traffic problems caused by the work being done there.

Action: Chair to contact Gwynedd Council again.

          Page 73

          M/139/(18.02.21) Crack in sea wall

This has not yet been repaired and the clerk confirmed that she had been told by Gwynedd Council that it is on their monthly inspection list.

4

M/150/(15.02.21) Installing CCTV

Cllr Kelly reported that he waiting for a quote to install the cameras, but otherwise the system is ready for use.

M/164/(15.03.21) Community Needs survey

Cllr O’Neill informed the council that the first draft of the survey has been done and there is a meeting with various organisations involved in housing at the end of the month.

M/166/(15.03.21) Buying football goal posts

Clerk reported that she is waiting for a delivery date

Page 74

M/177/(19.04.21) Gwynedd Council Report

The Chair reported that he had spoken to Gwynedd Council and they confirmed that all parking will be changed to 45 minutes, not 1 hour as was requested by the Community Council in a letter and he was very disappointed that Gwynedd felt this was an acceptable decision.

          Page 76

          M/182/(19.04.21) Parking at Neuadd Dyfi car park 3rd – 6th June

The event has been postponed until 24th – 26th September and the Yacht club are seeking permission for motorhomes to park on these dates instead. It was agreed that this was acceptable

          Action: Clerk to inform the yacht club of the decision

          Page 78

          M/184/(19.04.21) Items for consideration at future meetings

          Railings at Penhelig shelter

Cllr Reynolds reported that the railings had been put in place and the gate will be in place shortly.

Missing fencing from side of footpath from Penhelig to Hillside Village.

The Clerk reported that she sent photos to Gwynedd Council who replied that they will send an inspector out to investigate the situation.   

Traffic Lights at Dyffryn Hill

The Chair reported that the lights are there because there is a badger set in the bank, which is causing subsidence, but because badgers are protected, nothing can be done until they finish breeding.

5

AGENDA ITEM 7 – Treasurer’s Report

CL/22/17.05.21

It was agreed to accept the report as a true and accurate report.

Proposed: Cllr Kelly                  Seconded: Cllr S. Bradbury-Willis

Agreed unanimously

AGENDA ITEM 8  – Gwynedd Council Report

CL/23/17.05.21

Gwynedd Council has a new Chief Executive in Dafydd Gibbard, who has worked with Gwynedd Council since 2003 as head of housing and planning. He seems very approachable and the Chair suggested the Council invite him to one of the Community Council’s meetings later on this year.

Action: Clerk to put on agenda for later in the year

He also reported that he has been told that money will be forthcoming to move the cycle path project forward. He will make further enquiries and also talk to Tywyn town councillors, as they seemed to know more about the project than he did.

Action: Chair and Cllr Tyrrell to find out more information

The Chair reported that the leisure centre is back open now and has been well-used since it has been open.

Action: Clerk to put in Rushlight

Gwynedd Council had it Annual Meeting last week and there is a new Chair in Simon Glyn, a Plaid Cymru Councillor, and a new Vice Chair in Elwyn Jones, who is an Independent councillor. The Chair reminded the Community Council that next year there are elections for new councillors for Gwynedd and there will be changes, as a number of councillors will be retiring.

The Chair reported that Network Rail have closed the line between Machynlleth and Shrewsbury and it will not reopen until 27th June, as they are repairing a bridge on the outskirts of Machynlleth.

He also reported that they have started on the new bridge on the outskirts of Machynlleth and as a result there have been extremely long queues due to the traffic lights, which are causing major problems already and it is particularly concerning as it will be much busier soon with a bank holiday and the main tourist season. It was agreed to find out how long the traffic lights are expected to be there.

Action: Clerk to contact Machynlleth town council as a matter of urgency and Chair will go to the council office at the Plas in Machynlleth.

6

Cllr S. Bradbury-Willis expressed concern as she has been informed that there is a plan to close the road completely in front of the small cottages on the Aberdyfi side of the current bridge over the river.

Action: Clerk to contact Gwynedd Council as a matter of urgency

The Cambrian Rail Line will be shut between the 12th September to 12th December to allow work on the Barmouth bridge.

AGENDA ITEM 9  – Planning

CL/24/17.05.21

          NP5/50/T482G    Hafod, 13A Glandyfi Terrace, Aberdyfi LL35 0EB

          Removal of chimney and extractor flue

          No objections were raised

AGENDA ITEM 10 – To discuss providing a bus shelter

CL/25/17.05.21

It was agreed that a bus shelter is needed but it is unclear whose responsibility it is to provide or pay for a shelter.  The Clerk reported that Gwynedd Council have told her that the process is to email Gwynedd Council who will send out an inspector, who will assess the situation and produce a plan and costs. Discussions can then take place about who will be liable for costs.

Action: Clerk to email Gwynedd Council with a location and report back their response

AGENDA ITEM 11 – To discuss 20 mph proposals

CL/26/17.05.21

The Chair reported that he believes there are a few village and towns in Gwynedd who have 20 mph in place and it was agreed that the community Council should site to Gwynedd Council asking for a 20mph speed limit between the institute and Penhelig Corner.

Action: Clerk to write to Gwynedd Council

AGENDA ITEM 12  – To consider installing a dog waste bin at Trefeddian Terrace car park

CL/27/17.05.21

It was agreed not to install a waste bin at Trefeddian Terrace car park but instead to purchase some humorous ‘take your litter home’ signs and put them up and review the situation at the end of the year.

Action: Cllr O’Neill and clerk to liaise and purchase signs

AGENDA ITEM 13 – Correspondence

CL/28/17.05.21

  • Litter and bin problems

It was suggested putting stickers on the bins saying CCTV in operation but

7

it agreed that the bins opposite the chemist are not owned by the community council and therefore the council cannot put stickers on the bins. It was agreed to write back to the complainant suggesting they put clearer signs on their bins and keep them locked. It was also agreed to write to all the businesses again, asking them to ensure they keep the bins locked and work with Gwynedd Council to come up with a satisfactory way of dealing with the situation. It was also agreed that the chair will talk again to Gwynedd Council about putting the bins behind the wall. It was agreed that responsibility for these bins lies with Gwynedd Council and owners should be liaising with them, not the Community Council.

Cllr S. Bradbury-Willis suggested the council asked for limiters to be put on the bins in the main car park, to stop people putting in black bin bags of household waste.

Action: Clerk to reply to complainant and write to businesses, also to contact Gwynedd Council, forwarding the photos.

  • Day on the Quay and Food festival

It was agreed that Day on the Quay will not be able to happen in 2022, as there will be work being done on the wharf development at that time.

However, the Food Festival will be able to go ahead in 2022 and the Council will support the organisers in their efforts to run the events.

Action: Clerk to inform organisers of these decisions.

  • Choosing subject of tree sculpture.

The clerk reported that some residents had complained that there had been no decision to have an osprey as the subject of the sculpture. Cllr Williams informed the Council that a sculptor did a site visit and said that an osprey would make the best use of the shape of the tree, so it had been agreed that this is what would be carved.

The clerk reported that she has asked for quotes based on an osprey.

Action: The clerk will present quotes once they are all received.

  • Health Centre

It was agreed that the response from the health centre was not very useful, as a resident was left without access to medical care between 8am and 8.30am, as at this time the health centre phone message said it was closed with no reference to the Out Of Hours service and she was not able to contact OOH at this time either. Cllr S. Bradbury-Willis reported that Access Standards say that telephones should be answered in a set time, but this doesn’t seem to be happening at Tywyn.

Action: Clerk to reply to the Health Centre asking for clarification on how to contact them in an emergency between 8am and 8.30am and other

8

issues raised. Cllr S. Bradbury-Willis will forward access standards for Betsi Cadwalder to the clerk. Clerk to ask Tywyn town council if they’ve had similar issues.

  • Wharf development project

Chair believes that tenders have gone out this month and work is due to start in September. 

AGENDA ITEM 14 – Items for consideration at future meetings / urgent business

CL/29/17.05.21

  • New playground project

AGENDA ITEM 15 – Items for release / Rushlight / Website / Facebook

CL/30/17.05.21   

  • Leisure Centre open again
  • What the money from Neuadd Dyfi car park has been spent on

AGENDA ITEM 16 – Date of Next meeting

CL/32/17.05.21

Monday 21st June at 7pm

There being no further business, the meeting closed at 9.35pm.

9