Select Page

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held at the Literary Institute on Monday 15th January 2024

Present: Cllr Brian Kelly – Chair


Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Mark Dunton

Cllr Roman Hackelsberger

Cllr Ian Hewins

Cllr Catrin O’Neill

Cllr Sadie Porter

Cllr Megan Reynolds

Cllr Dave Williams

1 member of the public was present

AGENDA ITEM 1 – Apologies


Apologies accepted from Cllrs Tyrrell and Owen

AGENDA ITEM 2 – Chair announcements


The Chair welcomed everyone and reported that the person who vandalised the Christmas Tree lights had handed themselves into the police and will pay the cost of replacing the lights. He reported that he has been told of broken glass which has been found in the dunes on several occasions so has forwarded this information onto the harbour master. On Saturday there was a presentation to the previous sub-Post Mistress to thank her for all her work. 

AGENDA ITEM 3 – To receive and confirm minutes of the ordinary council meeting on 18thDecember 2023.


Proposed: Cllr Hackelsberger Seconded: Cllr Bradbury-Willis

AGENDA ITEM 4 – Matters arising


Page 37

M/94/(20.11.23) Removing grass cuttings from Maes Newydd playground

The clerk has emailed Aled to see if he would be willing to remove the grass cuttings but has not yet had a reply.

M/95/(20.11.23) Village noticeboard

The clerk has asked Stuart Myring for a quote to refurbish the large white noticeboard but has not had a reply. The Chair reported that he had noticed there is a light under the canopy but it doesn’t work.

Action: Clerk to contact Gwynedd Council and ask if this light is their responsibility.


M/96/(20.11.23) Main car park planting

A date has been set for Saturday 24th February at 10am for the planting. The preparation work will be done beforehand by Cllr Hackelsberger and others. Posters have been put up in the village and on social media, asking for volunteers.

AGENDA ITEM 5 – Treasurer’s report


Proposed: Cllr O’Neill Seconded: Cllr Porter

AGENDA ITEM 6 – Gwynedd Council report


No report as Cllr Owen was unable to attend the meeting

AGENDA ITEM 7 – Planning


No Applications had been received

AGENDA ITEM 8 – To agree and approve precept for 2024-25


It was resolved to set the precept at 4.5%.

Proposed: Cllr Hackelsberger Seconded: Cllr Porter

AGENDA ITEM 9 – To note new pension arrangements for the clerk


Cllr Porter reported that she has enrolled the clerk in a pension scheme though is still investigating the issue of backdated payments. The clerk has been re-enrolled with the Pension Regulator.

AGENDA ITEM 10 – Correspondence


  • The Ardal Ni team will be working in the village from 22-26 January when they will continue with work on the lights in the main car park
  • It has been confirmed that the road at Dyfi bridge will be closed from 10th February for up to 3 months. No mitigation has yet been received. It was thought that the route of the detour goes through Cwm Maethlon, not Talyllyn, and it was agreed to write to Gwynedd Council to ask for clarifictaion and to ensure that signs are put at each end of the valley. Action: Clerk to contact Gwynedd Council
  • It was reported that a large articulated vehicle got stuck on the hairpin corner in Cwm Maethlon recently and it was agreed to ask Gwynedd Council for permanent ‘do not follow satnav’ signs to be put at each end of the valley.Action: Clerk to contact Gwynedd Council 
  • Fly-tipping was reported by the main train station and it was agreed to contact Gwynedd Council with this information and ask if parking bays could be created to help stop this in the futureAction: Clerk to contact Gwynedd Council42
  • The clerk reported that both sets of toilets were closed on Christmas Day and Boxing Day and as a result, the street cleaner had to clear up at least 5 sets of human faeces around the village. It was agreed to write to Gwynedd Council to request that they be left open, even if they can’t be cleaned on those days.Action: Clerk to contact Gwynedd Council
  • Pont y Brics road is currently closed while the old changing rooms are being demolished. If people go across the level crossing instead, they MUST phone before crossing. 
  • Car charging points should be connected within the next few weeks.

AGENDA ITEM 11 – Items for consideration at future meetings


No items reported

AGENDA ITEM 12 – Items for release / Rushlight / Website / Facebook


  • New Year’s Day fundraiser
  • Pantomime
  • Community planting on 24th February
  • Ceilidh on 24th February
  • Community lunch 8th February
  • New photo ID required for voting
  • 10th February road closure

AGENDA ITEM 13 – Date of next meeting


Monday 19th February 2024

There being no further business, the Chair closed the meeting at 7.55pm