Accessibility statement for Aberdyfi Community Council
This accessibility statement applies to aberdyfi-council.wales website.
This website is run by Aberdyfi Community Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- change colours, contrast levels and fonts.
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen.
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard.
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software.
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver).
We’ve also made the website text and the navigation of the website as simple as possible to understand.
- the website has two main areas accessed from the ‘Home’ entry page, the ‘VISIT ABERDOVEY’ section and the ‘COMMUNITY COUNCIL’ section, both sections have internal navigation menus. These main sections can be accessed from either the Utility menu links at the top of the site, or the Footer menu links at the bottom.
- the Footer menu contains all the sections and page links on the website to help you navigate quickly and move around the site.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability – Visit the AbilityNet website abilitynet.org.uk.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- you cannot modify the line height or spacing of text.
- the ‘Village Map’ page in the ‘Explore’ menu, accessed via the ‘VISIT ABERDOVEY’ section, lists locations of places in Aberdovey using numbers that refer to a map image.
- for accessibility we advise not using the following browser, as we encountered difficulties with keyboard only navigation; FIREFOX (using VoiceOver – Mac).
- the following browsers worked well in testing and allowed keyboard only navigation; SAFARI (VoiceOver – Mac), CHROME (Narrator – PC).
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
- Email The Clerk
- Call The Clerk on 01654 767 816
We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 14 days.
If you would like to visit our offices please email or call for directions.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact: The Clerk, Aberdyfi Community Council, Council Offices, Literary Institute, Aberdovey, Gwynedd, LL35 0LN. Telephone: 01654 767 816 or email The Clerk.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
Please contact us via email if you are deaf, hearing impaired or have a speech impediment. If you have a disability and would like to visit us in person please contact us before your visit and we will do our best to assist you.
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Aberdyfi Community Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications, No.2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Annual Returns PDF documents are scanned and we do not have accessible versions that can be read by a screen reader available. Please contact the Clerk if you require information relating to our Annual Returns: The Clerk, Aberdyfi Community Council, Council Offices, Literary Institute, Aberdovey, Gwynedd, LL35 0LN. Telephone: 01654 767 816 or email The Clerk.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
Some images do not have a text alternative, so people using a screen reader cannot access the information. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content) – We are currently in the process of fixing this issue and will remove this when it is completed.
We plan to add text alternatives for all images by September 2020. When we publish new content we’ll make sure our use of images meets accessibility standards.
Navigation and accessing information
- we advise not using the following browser as we encountered difficulties with keyboard only navigation; FIREFOX (VoiceOver – Apple).
- the following browsers worked well in testing and allowed keyboard only navigation; SAFARI (VoiceOver – Apple), CHROME (Narrator – PC).
- it’s not always possible to change the device orientation from horizontal to vertical without making it more difficult to view the content.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDF’s or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services. For example, we do not plan to fix archived Rushlight Newsletter documents that have been scanned.
Any new PDF’s or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 30 September, 2020. It was last reviewed on 11 November, 2020.
This website was last tested on 21 October, 2020. The test was carried out by Digital Egg Ltd.
We used this approach to decide on a sample of pages to test:
We randomly tested over 50% of pages on this website for screen reader compatibility issues (using VoiceOver on Safari browser). We also tested over 50% of the pages on the website using WAVE (web accessibility evaluation tool) powered by WebAIM. We have listed errors found during the tests in this statement to assist users in navigation and will continue to improve the accessibility of this website in future updates.