Select Page

19th July 2021 – DRAFT

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held virtually via teleconferencing on Monday, 19th July 2021

Present were:                   Cllr Dewi Owen – Chair

Councillors:                     

Cllr James Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Brian Kelly

Cllr Catrin O’Neill

Cllr Dai Owens

Cllr Megan Reynolds         

Cllr Dave Williams

AGENDA ITEM 1- Apologies

CL/46/19.07.21

Cllr. Bob Tyrrell

AGENDA ITEM 2- Chairman’s Announcements

CL/47/19.07.21

The Chairman welcomed everyone and remarked how busy the village is and will be for the next couple of months.

AGENDA ITEM 3 – Receive & confirm minutes of meeting 21st June 2021

CL/48/19.07.21

Proposed: Cllr. Reynolds Seconded: Cllr. Kelly

Unanimously approved.

AGENDA ITEM 4 – Matters arising

CL/49/19.07.21

Page 10     

M/51/(15.06.20) Request for drinking water fountain

Clerk has still has no reply from Mr. Jones but spoke to Snowdonia National park planning department who said they’d seen our letter and would chase it up.

Action: Clerk to chase up

Page 11

M/106/(16.11.20) Playground seating

Seating has been installed and looks very good. Cllr. O’Neill informed the council that there will be an article in the Cambrian News shortly.

17

Cllr O’Neill requested that a crowdfunding page or similar be set up for donations for new equipment for the playground. It was agreed that this was a good idea and to delegate arranging this to the Clerk and Cllr. O’Neill.

It was agreed to clear the weeds from the playground.

Action: Cllr. O’Neill and Clerk to set up an online fundraising option for donations.

Action: Clerk to arrange for weeds etc. to be cleared from the playground

M/107/(16.11.20) Subway Improvements

Clerk reported that still nothing has been received from Adrian Williams at Gwynedd Council Highways. The Chair reported that he had spoken to Mr. Williams 3 weeks ago and Mr. Williams informed the Chair that someone would come to look at the subway, but he has not had any contact since.

Action: Chair to contact Mr. Williams again

M/139/(18.02.21) Crack in Sea Wall

Cllr Reynolds informed the Council that the harbourmaster has been trying to contact the flood defence team about the various cracks in the walls but they have not responded to him. It was agreed to contact Gwynedd Consultancy to see

M/150/(15.02.21) Installing CCTV

Cllr Kelly reported that Ron Thomas has agreed to do the work and will meet with Cllr Kelly to ensure they are put in the correct position.

M/166/15.03.21 Buying football goalposts

Clerk is waiting for quotes to install the goalposts

Action: Clerk to chase up.

Page 12

M/24/(17.05.21) New Dyfi Bridge Project

The Chair informed the Council that the bridge is facing delays because of difficulties in obtaining supplies, as most of the supplies are currently being diverted to the HS2 project. This will have a knock-on effect on the finishing date of the bridge project.

M/25/(17.05.21) Providing a bus shelter

Clerk has had permission to install a bus shelter at the Neuadd Dyfi bus stop, but has been told that it is for the Community Council to buy and maintain. The Clerk shared a quote for a bus shelter for £5,079.31 (ex-VAT) with the council and it was agreed to go ahead with buying the shelter and agreed to ask the AA&I for a donation towards the cost.

It was questioned if this was the right place for a bus shelter as perhaps opposite

18

the church would be a good site. It was agreed to see how this one works out and look at the possibility of installing one at the church if residents request it in the future.

Proposed: Cllr. Kelly                 Seconded: Cllr. Reynolds

Unanimously approved

Action: Clerk to purchase bus shelter and to write to AA&I requesting a donation towards the cost

M/26/(17.05.21) 20mph proposals

The Clerk hasn’t had any reply from Gwynedd Council yet.

Action: Clerk and Chair to chase up Iwan ap Trefor and talk to Outward Bound if required to add pressure to obtaining a 20mph zone.

The Chair reported that he has met with Gwynedd Council about the overgrown verges on the outskirts of the village, as they are obscuring road signs on the side of the road and he has seen car mirrors there in the last few weeks. He has been assured that Gwynedd Council will cut back the growth, but it hasn’t been done yet.

Action: Chair and Clerk to chase up.

The Clerk reported that Gwynedd Council have told her a fence on the footpath between the Penhelig and Hillside Village will not be installed.

M/28/(17.05.21) Litter and bin problems

Clerk has spoken to Caron Jones, Waste and Recycling Officer for Gwynedd Council, and has had permission to extend the area by the fire station over one of the parking spaces, to create a larger recycling area. She is waiting for quotes to replace the fence. Caron Jones is keen to see much better recycling facilities for the village.

Action: Clerk to arrange for fence to be replaced

Clerk has written to Gwynedd Council saying we believe that there are several properties in the village who do not pay council tax and do not pay for refuse collection either. Caron Jones has passed this onto the enforcement team, but the clerk hasn’t heard from them yet.

Action: Clerk to chase up

Cllr Reynolds reported that the glass recycling bins have finally been emptied.

It was noted that there might be a move to make all properties that are let out as businesses to be licensed, which may help with the commercial waste collection problem.

19

It was agreed that the clerk will write to all businesses in the village again, asking them to ensure their rubbish is disposed of correctly.

Action: Clerk to write to all businesses and letting agencies in the village.

Page 13

Quotes for tree sculpture carving

The clerk reported that both quotes do not include VAT, as neither are VAT registered. The 2 quotes were considered and it was agreed to accept quote 2.

Proposed: Cllr Owen                   Seconded: Cllr O’Neill

Action: Clerk to write to both companies with the decision.

Page 14

M/42/21.06.21 Correspondence

Bollard in Neuadd Dyfi car park

Clerk reported that she has spoken to Geri Davies, who installed the original bollards, and who told her that in his opinion, the one there at the moment are not robust enough, as several have already had to be replaced and he recommended replacing them with better ones. The clerk is currently trying to source more robust bollards.

Action: Clerk to source more robust bollards

Page 15

Gwelfor Road subsidence

Clerk reported that she spoke to Sian Wilkes, who told her that there has never been a weight limit sign there, though it is possible to apply to have one from the traffic department. It was agreed to pursue this.

Proposed: Cllr. Owen                Seconded: Cllr. Kelly

Action: Clerk to apply for a weight limit sign on Gwelfor Road

Complaints re: sand on promenade and in car aprk

Clerk reported that the harbourmaster told her that the prom would be cleared as soon as possible. She has also had a reply from both Barry Davies and Ceri Thomas, assuring her that the sand will be cleared from the car park before the main season starts.

AGENDA ITEM 5 – Treasurer’s Report

CL/50/19.07.21

The Clerk informed the Council that the new bank account is now in place

Proposed: Cllr. Williams             Seconded: Cllr. Kelly

Unanimously approved

20

AGENDA ITEM 6 – Gwynedd Council Report

CL/51/19.07.21

The Chair reported that much of the recent meeting was taken up with discussions about local housing issues and there may be a few houses built in Pennal and Tywyn, but there is no land owned by Gwynedd Council in Aberdyfi. Cllr. O’Neill reported that the housing group in the village had met with Gwynedd Council and Snowdonia National Park and had asked them why the money taken from the second homes in the village etc. is not being spent in the village. They replied that if we propose projects, they will spend the money in the village.

AGENDA ITEM 7 – Planning

CL/52/19.07.21

NP5/50/734         Cartref, Aberdyfi, LL35 0NR

Alterations inclusing installation of external staircase and dormer window on rear.

No objections were raised

          NP5/50/LB64       Minafon, 20 Seaview Terrace,  Aberdyfi, LL35 0LL

          Listed consent for removal of kitchen window at rear and part of external w        all, door frame and replace door.

          No objections were raised.

          NP5/50/562P      Chalet 62, Plas Panteidal, Aberdyfi, LL35 0RF

          Retrospective application to extend decking

It was felt this was an overdevelopment, the decking too extensive and too close to other properties.

Action: Clerk to lodge objection

NP5/50/375D      2 Corbett Lane, Aberdyfi, LL35 0RB

Renewal of planning permission for construction of garage

No objections were raised

It was asked if the extension at 12 Penhelig Road had been given planning permission. The clerk reported that she had reported it to Snowdonia but hadn’t heard anything back.

Action: Clerk to find out what has happened about this property and planning application.

Cllr Reynolds requested the clerk to find out if letting out a shed on AirBnB requires planning permission.

Action: Clerk to contact the planning department

21

AGENDA ITEM 8 – To discuss parking problems in Seaview Terrace

CL/56/19.07.21

Cllr Reynolds reported that there have been many problems recently with residents of Seaview Terrace not being able to park and requested that the Council write to Gwynedd Council asking for Seaview Terrace to be made into residents parking only, especially as the residents are paying a yearly parking fee already. Cllr Reynolds spoke to Eleri Hughes at Gwynedd Council a few weeks ago about this issue but hasn’t heard back.

Action: Clerk to write to Gwynedd Council requesting Seaview Terrace be made into residents parking only.

AGENDA ITEM 9

Cycle path update and to consider buying land for the project

CL/57/19.07.21

It was reported that the knotweed has been sprayed and will be done again at the end of October and yearly thereafter until it has been eradicated. It has been suggested by Meilir Hughes that Aberdyfi Community Council might buy the 20 acre site, currently owned by Gwynedd Council, alongside the railway to the old gas works. It was noted that the cost of maintaining the site may be high, given that the drainage ditch normally gets dredged every few years as well as the knotweed problem. It was noted that the Community Council was offered the land a few years ago and it was decided then not to buy it, as there were too many unknowns, given the proximity to the road and the railway line, which might cause issues in the future in terms of clarity of responsibility for different aspects of the land. The Chair reported that many years ago people used to use this area for dumping waste so there is potentially a problem in the future with waste which has been left there and may be contaminating the land. It was agreed not to purchase the land.

Proposed: Cllr. Owen                Seconded: Cllr. O’Neill

The Chair reported that Gwynedd Council have £325,000 to do the next phase of the cycle path between Caethle and the Cemetery, but there are currently problems with two landowners who don’t want to give permission, so potentially much of this money may be spent sorting these types of problems, as well as on drawing up new plans. The Chair reported that the recent consultation for the cycle path received over 800 signatures for our cycle path, compared to just over 200 for any of the others under consideration. The £325,000 is only for the first phase, more money will be allocated as the project progresses.

22

AGENDA ITEM 10 – To discuss RoSPA report

CL/58/19.07.21

It was noted that nothing urgent needs done as a result of the report, though it was agreed to arrange for the weeds to be cleared.

It was noted that there are some negative feelings in the village about the removal of the helter-skelter slide, but Cllr O’Neill reported that the slide does not conform to current guidelines as in the report, so it is a RoSPA decision that it needs to be replaced, not a Community Council decision.

Action: Clerk to arrange for the weeds to be cleared.

AGENDA ITEM 11 To consider buying signs to appeal for crowdfunding for new playground equipment

CL/59/19.07.21

It was agreed to create a working group to restart the playground project and organise a fundraising campaign, including buying some signs to put up in the playground as part of this campaign.

Action: Cllr. S. Bradbury-Willis and Cllr. O’Neill to set up a working group and Clerk to liaise with Cllr O’Neill to arrange a fundraising campaign.

AGENDA ITEM 12 – To approve a social media policy.

CL/60/19.07.21

It was agreed to approve the social media policy put before the council.

Proposed: Cllr. Williams            Seconded: Cllr. Reynolds

AGENDA ITEM 13 – To consider delegation of powers to the Clerk, Chair and Vice-Chair during summer recess

CL/61/19.07.21

It was agreed to delegate powers during summer recess

Proposed: Cllr. Kelly                 Seconded: Cllr: S. Bradbury-Willis

AGENDA ITEM 14 – To consider purchase of new office computer

CL/62/19.07.21

The Clerk reported that she has been having some major issues with the computer again and as it is now 7 years old, she would like to buy a new one. It was agreed to purchase a new office computer.

Proposed: Cllr. Reynolds           Seconded: Cllr. Williams

Action: Clerk to liaise with Chair and Vice-Chair to purchase a computer.

23

AGENDA ITEM 15 – Correspondence

CL/63/19.07.21

  • An email was received from a resident who lives at the top of the hill, who does not drive and who is unable to walk to the village. They are asking if there is anything that the Community Council can do to help them be less isolated, suggesting perhaps a taxi service between the top and bottom of the village.

It was noted that several communities have tried to organise this in the past, but the practicalities of buying a vehicle, finding volunteers and insuring the venture were very problematic and weren’t successful. It was reported that a Barbara Bus used to run locally, possibly out of the Trefeddian. It was agreed for the clerk to investigate if a Barbara Bus is a possibility and also to contact the Gwynedd community connector to see if she has any ideas that could help. Cllr S. Bradbury-Willis will give the clerk the community connector details for Powys.

Action: Clerk to contact community connectors and find out more information about the Barbara Bus.

  • Complaints have been received about people camping overnight on Morfa Gypsies.

It was agreed to buy some signs stating ‘No Overnight Camping’ and put them on the site.

Action: Clerk to buy some signs

  • Complaints about parking on the pavement by the golf club.

The Clerk reported that she has spoken to the traffic wardens who have told her there is nothing they can do about cars parked on the pavement by the golf club as there are no yellow lines on the road and it is a police matter as it is obstruction. Some people have tried to report it to the police and have been told it is a Gwynedd Council matter. However, the clerk was informed by the company doing the bus shelter that there needs to be 1.2m clear for pedestrians on a pavement, so if cars are not leaving this gap, then it is clearly obstruction. The clerk urged all councillors to spread the word for people to report this obstruction to the police as well as the council and hopefully some action may be taken. She also urged the councillors to ask residents to report problems straight to Gwynedd Council as well as to the Clerk, so that the whole village is involved in reporting problems, not just the clerk, as she feels Gwynedd Council do not necessarily take any more notice of her than residents.

AGENDA ITEM 16 –Items for consideration at future meetings / urgent business

  • Climate Emergency group update

24

AGENDA ITEM 17 – Items for release / Rushligjht / website / Facebook

  • Ask if there are residents who would use a Barbara Bus to guage interest
  • Community Needs survey
  • Thanks to the beach clean group
  • Thanks to the refuse collectors

AGENDA ITEM 18 – Date of next meeting

Monday 20th September 2021, 7pm

It was noted that this meeting may be face to face, but a decision will be taken closer to the time.

There being no further business the meeting closed at 9.15pm       

25