Select Page

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held at the Literary Institute on Monday 19th February 2024

Present: Cllr Brian Kelly – Chair


Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Mark Dunton

Cllr Roman Hackelsberger

Cllr Ian Hewins

Cllr Dewi Owen

Cllr Sadie Porter

Cllr Megan Reynolds

Cllr Bob Tyrrell

Cllr Dave Williams

1 member of the public was present

AGENDA ITEM 1 – Apologies


Apologies accepted from Cllr O’Neill

AGENDA ITEM 2 – Chair announcements


The Chair welcomed everyone and reported that it has been a very quiet month in the village.

AGENDA ITEM 3 – To receive and confirm minutes of the ordinary council meeting on 15thJanuary 2023.


Proposed: Cllr Hackelsberger Seconded: Cllr Williams

AGENDA ITEM 4 – Matters arising


Page 41

M/94/(20.11.23) Removing grass cuttings from Maes Newydd playground

The clerk has emailed Aled to see if he would be willing to remove the grass cuttings but has not yet had a reply.

Action: Clerk to chase up

M/95/(20.11.23) Village noticeboard

The clerk has asked Stuart Myring for a quote to refurbish the large white noticeboard but has not had a reply and has not yet asked Gwynedd Council if the lights are their responsibility. 

Action: Clerk to chase up Stuart Myring

Page 42

M/127/(15.01.24) To note new pension arrangements for the clerk


Cllr Porter reported that pension contributions have been paid for November, December and January and will be paid every month going forward. She has agreed the figure to be back-dated with Mr. Lister, so she will now arrange for this to be paid.

Proposed: Cllr Porter  Seconded: Cllr Hackelsberger

M/128/(15.01.24) Correspondence

Vehicle stuck in Cwm Maethlon

The clerk met with Andrew Gregson and asked if Gwynedd Council could put ‘do not follow satnav’ signs at each end of the valley. He agreed to look into it and it was noted that Pennal and Tywyn Councils have both asked for the same thing.

Toilets closed on Christmas and Boxing Day

The clerk is meeting with Bryn Hughes on 28th February to discuss the cost of refurbishment of the Neuadd Dyfi toilets and will also ask him for the toilets to be open every day of the year. She will also ask him about the lights under the canopy and the blocked gutters at the main toilets

Action: Clerk to meet with Bryn Hughes.

AGENDA ITEM 5 – Treasurer’s report


Proposed: Cllr Reynolds Seconded: Cllr Bradbury-Willis

AGENDA ITEM 6 – Gwynedd Council report


Cllr Owen reported that there will be a full meeting of Gwynedd Council in two week’s time when the council tax rates will be set for the coming year. He has been told that the work at Dyfi Bridge is progressing well and they are hopeful of finishing at the end of next week, ie. beginning of March.

The greenery at the side of the road between the Penhelig and Outward Bound has now been cut back and has made a big difference to visibility for vehicles. He urged everyone to let him know if there are any other hedges/ overgrown areas on the roadside and he will arrange for them to be cut back. 

The footpath known as Lover’s Lane is in danger of becoming blocked by landslip if the shale that is piled next to it moves. This is especially concerning with the heavy rain recently experienced in Aberdyfi. 

Action: Clerk to inform Gwynedd Council.

Number 4 Maes Newydd has been bought by Gwynedd Council as part of their scheme to buy back local housing. This house will now be refurbished and let out to local residents.

Two new nurses have been recruited for Tywyn hospital, a new Nurse Practitioner for the GP practice and it is hoped that 3 GPs will join the practice full-time in the next few months. 

AGENDA ITEM 7 – Planning


NP5/50/573B Rhos Awel, Aberdyfi LL35 0NR


Demolition of existing single storey extension and construct new single storey extension, and demolition and replacement of front boundary wall

No objections were raised

NP5/50/130D Bwlch Gwyn, Aberdyfi LL35 0SG

Construction of rural enterprise dwelling (re-submission)

No objections were raised and it was resolved to write in support of this application.

ME0452 Tides Inn, Aberdyfi LL35 0EE

Application to vary premises licence

Unanimously resolved to object on grounds of close proximity of residential properties and bedrooms of The Dovey Inn directly above the bar. 

AGENDA ITEM 8 – To approve Deed of Variation to the licence between Aberdyfi Community Council and Gwynedd Council


Proposed: Cllr Hackelsberger Seconded: Cllr Hewins

It was noted that the Golf Club have not yet commented on the licence to use the football field sent to them for approval 

Action: Cllr Williams to chase up

AGENDA ITEM 9 – To agree to lead the campaign for Plastic Free Aberdyfi by example, to remove single use plastic items from the Council premises and operations, and to encourage plastic-free initiatives in the area, promoting the campaign for Plastic Free Aberdyfi and supporting its events.


Proposed: Cllr Hackelsberger Seconded: Cllr Porter

Resolved unanimously

AGENDA ITEM 10 – To note grant awarded by Gwynedd Council for allotment improvementsand to approve installation of a communal greenhouse and other essential works to improve safety in the allotments.


It was agreed to spend the money originally budgeted for the work on the trees on installing the greenhouse, creation of a communal compost area and replacement of handrail. 

Proposed: Cllr Owen Seconded: Cllr Williams

AGENDA ITEM 11 – Correspondence


  • Email regarding wax removal from ears at Tywyn Health Centre. A query was raised about why this service no longer being offered at the GP practice in Tywyn. Cllr Bradbury-Willis reported that in Hywel Dda Health board, this service is being moved to an out-patient service and will be carried out by a Health Board professional with specialist ear nurses being trained. She reported that locally a wax removal service is available from herself at Balance in Aberdyfi and Specsavers in Aberystwyth. 46Action: Clerk to ask what measures are being taken by Betsi Cadwaldr Health Board. 
  • The clerk met with Andrew Gregson of Gwynedd Council regarding speed signs and he advised that current speed signs would not work in Aberdyfi due to cars parked along the side of the road. He also reported that the life cost of one camera is approximately £20,000. He said that smaller, mobilecameras are being trialled so suggested waiting to see if the technology and price make it a more feasible option for Aberdyfi. 
  • Email from Arthog & Fairbourne Council asking if we are willing to donate helter-skelter slide. It was felt that this was not a feasible option, as there is no point in getting a new spiral slide if the helter-skelter is still useable. It was agreed to look more into extending the life of the helter-skelter. It was agreed to revisit the RoSPA report at the next meeting.Action: Cllrs Tyrrell and Dunton to research repairing the helter-skelterAction: Clerk to add to agenda for next month
  • Free training on Strategic Development Plans
  • Email regarding Westhaven apartments. It was agreed this it is not within the council’s remit to comment on the issue of UPVC windows.
  • Email regarding BCUHB meetings this year. The clerk has asked to be informed when a meeting is held locally in order for Aberdyfi Councillors to attend.
  • Cllr Hackelsberger reminded everyone that volunteers are needed on Saturday morning to help plant in the car park. 

AGENDA ITEM 12 – Items for consideration at future meetings


RoSPA report

AGENDA ITEM 13 – Items for release / Rushlight / Website / Facebook


  • Congratulations on pantomime
  • Community planting on 24th February
  • Community lunch 8th March
  • New photo ID required for voting
  • Food Festival and Dovey Fest dates

AGENDA ITEM 14 – Date of next meeting


Monday 18th March 2024

There being no further business, the Chair closed the meeting at 8.40pm