Select Page

Minutes of the thirty-ninth annual meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held at the Literary Institute on Monday 20th May 2024

Present: Cllr Mark Dunton

Cllr Roman Hackelsberger

Cllr Ian Hewins

Cllr Brian Kelly

Cllr Catrin O’Neill

Cllr Sadie Porter

Cllr Dewi Owen

Cllr Dave Williams

4 members of the public were present

AGENDA ITEM 1 – Apologies


Apologies accepted from Cllr Bradbury-Willis, Reynolds and Tyrrell

AGENDA ITEM 2 – Election of Chair of Aberdyfi Community Council for the year 2024-25


Cllr Dewi Owen was elected Chair

Proposed: Cllr Williams Seconded: Cllr Dunton

Cllr Williams proposed a vote of thanks to the outgoing Chair.

AGENDA ITEM 3 – To receive the Chair’s Declaration of Acceptance of Office


The Declaration of Acceptance of the role of Chair was received.

AGENDA ITEM 4 – Election of Vice Chair of Aberdyfi Community Council for the year 2024-25


Cllr O’Neill was elected Vice Chair

Proposed: Cllr Kelly Seconded: Cllr Hackelsberger

AGENDA ITEM 5 – To receive the Vice Chair’s declaration of Acceptance of Office


The Declaration of Acceptance of the role of Vice Chair was received

AGENDA ITEM 6 – To resolve to dissolve the Planning Committee


It was agreed to dissolve the planning committee

Proposed: Cllr Hackelsberger Seconded: Cllr Kelly


AGENDA ITEM 7 – To resolve to dissolve the Allotment Committee


It was agreed to dissolve the allotment committee

Proposed: Cllr Hackelsberger  Seconded: Cllr Hewins

AGENDA ITEM 8 – To review the Terms of Reference for the Finance committee


The Terms of reference for the Finance Committee were reviewed and accepted

AGENDA ITEM 9 – Appointment of members to the Finance committee


Cllrs Bradbury-Willis, Tyrrell and Williams were elected to the Finance Committee

AGENDA ITEM 10 – Appointment of members to outside bodies


Members were appointed to the following outside bodies:

10.1 Aberdyfi Advertising and Improvements Committee

All councillors except Cllr Tyrrell

10.2 Aberdyfi Literary Institute

Cllr Porter

10.3 Harbour Advisory Committee

Cllr Tyrrell

10.4 Neuadd Dyfi Management Committee – councillors with a vote

Cllrs Hewins, Kelly, Owen, Reynolds and Williams

10.5 Caravan Site Committee

Cllrs Bradbury-Willis, Kelly, Owen, Reynolds and Williams

10.6 Richard Williams and Richards Roberts Trust Fund

Cllr Reynolds (Chair), Bradbury-Willis, Owen, Porter with Cllr Williams as Trustee

10.7 Lewis Lloyd Trust

Cllr Reynolds

10.8 Tywyn and District memorial hospital Appeal Fund

Cllr Reynolds with Cllr Tyrrell as deputy

10.9 One Voice Wales

Cllrs O’Neill and Owen, with Cllr Williams as deputy

10.10 Meirionnydd Access Group

Cllr O’Neill

AGENDA ITEM 11 –  To approve dates of Council meetings 2024-25


It was agreed to continue to hold meetings every third Monday in the month, with the exception of August. It was agreed to bring forward the date of the April meeting by 1 week, as the third Monday in April is Easter Monday. 

2024: 17th June, 15th July, 16th September, 21st October, 18th November, 16th December 2025: 20thJanuary, 17th February, 17th March, 14th April, 19th May (Annual meeting)


AGENDA ITEM 12 – To review and adopt Standing Orders


It was agreed to adopt the Standing Orders

Proposed: Cllr Kelly Seconded: Cllr Hewins

AGENDA ITEM 13 – To review and adopt Financial Regulations


It was agreed to adopt the Financial Regulations

Proposed: Cllr Hackelsberger Seconded: Cllr O’Neill

AGENDA ITEM 14 – To review list of Council Assets


It was queried whether Picnic Island Bridge should be on the Asset Register.

Action: Clerk to clarify if this is the case

AGENDA ITEM 15 – Appointment of Internal Auditor for 2024/25


It was agreed to appoint Steve Lister as Internal Auditor

Proposed: Cllr Williams Seconded: Cllr Kelly

AGENDA ITEM 16 – To receive and confirm minutes of the Ordinary Meeting of the Council held on 15th April 2024


Proposed: Cllr Kelly Seconded: Cllr O’Neill

AGENDA ITEM 17 – Matters arising


Page 53

M/128/(15.01.24) Toilets closed on Christmas and Boxing Day

The clerk has had a reply from Gwynedd Council to our proposal for the street cleaner to oversee the toilets on these days, saying that they don’t know the street cleaner and the rotas have not yet been set, so they are unable to consider our request at the present time.

Action: Clerk to reply that we will be in touch closer to the time to arrange details

It was agreed to ask for a plan of the refurbishments planned for the toilets before it goes ahead

Action: Clerk to contact Gwynedd Council over the summer to request the plans. 

M/158/(18.03.24) RoSPA report

Cllr Hewins and Dunton inspected the helter-skelter and found the metal to be structurally sound, though needs painting. Cllr Hewins contacted a paint company and confirmed what procedure needs to be followed and what paint can be used. Cllr Hewins and Dunton offered to undertake the work if the council buys the paint and Cllr O’Neill offered to meet with them to decide which colours should be bought. 

Cllr Hewins will try to source a suitable metal box to store any surplus paint. 

Action: Cllr O’Neill to meet with Cllr Hewins to decide colours


Action: Cllrs Dunton & Hewins to paint the metalwork on the helter-skelter and other equipment. 

Action: Clerk to arrange signs and barrier tape to be erected while the work is being done. 

Page 55

M/172/(15.04.24) Remedial work to compass feature in wharf gardens

This work was carried out last week 

Action: Clerk to write to thank them for doing such a good job. 

AGENDA ITEM 18 – Treasurer’s report


Proposed: Cllr Kelly  Seconded: Cllr Hackelsberger

AGENDA ITEM 19 – Gwynedd Council report


Beca Roberts has been appointed Chair and Ioan Thomas Vice Chair of Gwynedd Council.

AGENDA ITEM 20 – Planning


Cllr Hewins declared an interest in the Bryn Awel application

NP5/50/LB65D Bryn Awel, 26 Sea View Terrace, Aberdyfi LL35 0LL

Listed building consent for replacement bridge

No objections raised

NP5/50/L253 11 Church Street, Aberdyfi. LL35 0ES

Installation of dark grey composite decking and stainless-steel posts with glass infill panels in lieu of existing timber decking, posts and balustrade

No objections raised

NP5/50/760 Tŷ Nain, Balkan Hill, Aberdyfi LL35 0LB

Extension to dwelling including a balcony

No objections raised

NP5/50/532H Unit 2, Wharf Gardens, Aberdyfi LL35 0EE

Amended description and plan: 

Installation of bi-fold doors in lieu of sliding window and extending A3 use to outdoor area for consumption of food and drink purchased from the property. 

It was agreed to write that this sets a dangerous precedent and while the final decision to use the land lies with Gwynedd Council Maritime department, we feel it goes against the policy that was put in place when the Canolfan Dyfi was built, that the rooms upstairs were not to be used for a cafe, as it would give an unfair advantage to those businesses.

Action: Clerk to write to Parc Eryri

NP5/50/635D 17 Mynydd Isaf, Aberdyfi LL35 0PH

Extension to residential property and the installation of a green type roof above existing garage.

No objections raised


AGENDA ITEM 21 – To review and approve annual return


The annual return was approved unanimously

Proposed: Cllr Williams Seconded: Cllr Hewins

AGENDA ITEM 22 – To discuss and approve specification for painting playground equipment


It was agreed to approve the specification under agenda item 17

AGENDA ITEM 23 – To receive report on BCUHB workshop attended by Cllr Reynolds


AGENDA ITEM 24 –  Correspondence which requires a response from the Council


* Email regarding annual community meeting

Action: Clerk to reply

* Email regarding pump for clearing slipway

It was felt this should be referred to the AA&I

* Email regarding Ardal Ni 2035 draft plan

Action: Cllr O’Neil and the clerk to attend the meeting on 13th June

AGENDA ITEM 25 – To note correspondence not requiring a decision from the Community Council which has already been circulated to councillors


* Email regarding possible plans for energy link from North to South Wales

* Email from Dafydd Meurig containing link to Cyngor Gwynedd report on Article 4

* Email from Wales Air Ambulance regarding changes to their provision.

* Complaint from resident regarding parasols on the pavement opposite the Britannia Inn.

* Email from The Britannia Inn regarding various issues

AGENDA ITEM 26 – Items for consideration at future meetings


* To discuss a maintenance plan for the Neuadd Dyfi P&D machine

* To discuss issues with burst water pipes in the area

* To discuss if any changes to 20mph speed limit in Aberdyfi are desired

* To discuss possible plans for pylons to be erected from North to South Wales 

* To discuss possibility of having a bike maintenance station in the village

* Terrace Road shelter maintenance

AGENDA ITEM 27 – Items for release / Rushlight / website / Facebook


* D-Day flag and celebrations

* Time & Tide Bell


* Community meeting attended by Gwynedd Council, not Parc Eryri

* Air Ambulance petition

* Charging points working

* Clwb sgwrsio

AGENDA ITEM 28 – Date of next meeting


Monday 17th June 2024

There being no further business, the Chair closed the meeting at 8.45pm