Select Page

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held at the Literary Institute on Monday 18th March 2024

Present: Cllr Brian Kelly – Chair


Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Mark Dunton

Cllr Roman Hackelsberger

Cllr Ian Hewins

Cllr Catrin O’Neill

Cllr Dewi Owen

Cllr Megan Reynolds

Cllr Bob Tyrrell

Cllr Dave Williams

1 member of the public was present

AGENDA ITEM 1 – Apologies


Apologies accepted from Cllr Porter

AGENDA ITEM 2 – Chair announcements


The Chair welcomed everyone and thanked Cllr Hackelsberger for organising the work to tidy and plant up the main car park. He also thanked all the volunteers who helped and noted how much better the car park looks now. He reminded everyone that there is a meeting of the AA&I next Monday.

AGENDA ITEM 3 – To receive and confirm minutes of the ordinary council meeting on 19thFebruary 2024.


Proposed: Cllr Tyrrell Seconded: Cllr Reynolds

AGENDA ITEM 4 – Matters arising


Page 44

M/94/(20.11.23) Removing grass cuttings from Maes Newydd playground

It was agreed to continue negotiations with Gwynedd Council with a view to them removing the grass cuttings.

Action: Clerk to contact Gwynedd Council again

M/95/(20.11.23) Village noticeboard

The clerk is still waiting for a quote

Page 45

M/128/(15.01.24) Toilets closed on Christmas Day and Boxing Day

The clerk shared an email she had received from Gwynedd Council, stating that the


public toilets can not be opened on these days, as it is unfair to expect the cleaners to have 3 days worth of cleaning to do when they return to work. It was agreed to reply, stating again that we don’t expect them to be cleaned on those days.

Action: Clerk to reply

Page 46

M/139/(19.02.24) Golf club licence to use football field

The clerk still hasn’t heard from the Golf Club regarding this issue

Action: Cllr Williams to remind the Golf Club that they need to review the lease

M/142/(19.02.24) Ear wax removal at Tywyn Health Centre

The clerk has had it confirmed that this service will be offered again at Tywyn as soon as funding becomes available

AGENDA ITEM 5 – Treasurer’s report


Proposed: Cllr Williams Seconded: Cllr Bradbury-Willis

It was noted that both savings accounts have now been opened.

AGENDA ITEM 6 – Gwynedd Council report


Cllr Owen reported that at the full meeting of the council, it was agreed to increase Council Tax by 9.5%, which equates to £2.14 a week for Band D. He realises this a large increase and gave the clerk a helpline phone number for people who are struggling to pay their Council Tax. She will advertise this number on social media and in Rushlight.

He reported that the board of Gwynedd Council met in the Yacht Club earlier today and he was invited to join them for lunch. He discussed many of the issues in the village such as the problems with sand encroaching into the village and they responded that they understand our problems a lot better having been here. He hoped that some of the problems may start to be remedied as a result.

At the Harbour Users meeting, Cllr Owen was told that interviews for a new deputy-harbourmaster are being held imminently and a new Beach Warden for the area has been appointed. At the meeting the harbourmaster reported that he now has a drone so is able to check on moorings and buoys much easier. He also reported that mooring and launch fees are increasing by £10 this year. 

AGENDA ITEM 7 – Planning


NP5/50/L89B 3 Copperhill Street, Aberdyfi LL35 0EU

Retrospective application to relocate existing condensing unit to its former location at side of property.

New description and amended plan for application

No objections were raised


AGENDA ITEM 8 – To discuss purchase of flag for D-Day 80th anniversary


It was resolved to buy a 5’ x 3’ flag at a cost of £28.80.

Proposed: Cllr Williams Seconded: Cllr Hewins

Action: Clerk to purchase flag and arrange hoisting

AGENDA ITEM 9 – To receive a report on meeting with Gwynedd Council regarding village public toilets


Cllr Tyrrell reported that he, together with Cllr Reynolds and the clerk, met with a representative of Gwynedd Council to discuss refurbishment of both sets of public toilets. It was a very positive meeting and they were told that the refurbishment of the main toilets is due to start in the autumn, though there is likely to be less money for the refurbishment than previously hoped. It was agreed that the Community Council could possibly collaborate with Gwynedd Council to ensure that the toilets are refurbished to a good standard. The Councillors were told that that the reason our toilets are being refurbished and not ones in other towns is because ours are not vandalised. Once the main toilets are refurbished, we will continue to talk to Gwynedd Council and seek to get the Neuadd Dyfi toilets refurbished in the near future. 

Action: Clerk to remain in contact with Gwynedd Council

AGENDA ITEM 10 – To receive an update on cycle path project


Cllr Tyrrell reported that he walked along the route between Trefeddian Terrace and the cemetery with the clerk and found that it was completely under water for a distance of approximately 100 metres so a board walk or other solution would be needed to allow cycles and pedestrians to travel freely. However, a board walk would cause problems for the energy companies who need to access that area with heavy machinery to maintain the overhead cables. The need to build a bridge across the stream at a different location on the proposed path was also discussed and it was agreed that this section of cycle path is a much more complicated project than initially envisaged. It was agreed to wait and see if Gwynedd Council obtain funding for the other part of the cycle path and if they are successful, then the Community Council will ask to work with them to complete the section between the cemetery and the village, as it was felt the project is too complicated for the Community Council to undertake on its own. 

It was noted that no decision has yet been made on the planning application for the section of cycle path between Caethle and the cemetery.

AGENDA ITEM 11 – To agree grants to be awarded


Applications were received from several organisations and it was resolved to award £100 to each of Meirionnydd Young Farmers, Welsh Air Ambulance, Urdd Gobaith Cymru and Dail Dysynni.

It was noted that the grant to the Neuadd Dyfi for 2023/24 is £4,091.00 

Action: Clerk to distribute grants


AGENDA ITEM 12 – To agree date for Annual Community Meeting and discuss format and agenda


It was agreed to hold the Annual Community Meeting on 22nd April, with reports from the Community Council, AA&I, Neuadd Dyfi and Aberdyfi Community Projects Group followed by an open forum. 

Action: Clerk to advertise date and agenda

AGENDA ITEM 13 – To discuss RoSPA report and receive an update on Playground Project


Cllr Tyrrell reported that he had found an identical helter-skelter to the one in Aberdyfi in Goodwick but which had been removed on Health and Safety grounds. The clerk contacted Goodwick and Pembrokeshire County Council and was told that they had spent a long time and exhausted all possibilities to get theirs fixed and as repairs were going to cost £10,000, it was removed. Cllr Dunton reported that the fibreglass is sound and that it is the gelcoat that is wearing, which can be repaired quite easily. 

The clerk reported that we have received planning permission for the new playground and Cllr O’Neill reported that most grants are not available to Community Councils. She also reported that she understood Machynlleth council had sold their redundant play equipment to a reclamation yard and she noticed that Abergynolwyn play equipment was being painted when she travelled through recently.

It was agreed to clean the inside of the helter-skelter, repair the gelcoat, remove the concrete bench ends and to organise painting of the other equipment.

The clerk reported she had contacted GL Jones who said they will repair the wet pour as soon as possible, but the wet weather has delayed work.

Action: Cllr Dunton to source someone to repair gelcoat

Action: Cllr Tyrrell to try to find someone to paint equipment

Action: Cllr O’Neill to research funding options

Action: Cllr Hewins to remove concrete bench ends and bolt down other benches

Action: Clerk to contact Abergynolwyn Council to ask who paints their play equipment

Action: Clerk to arrange cleaning of inside of helter-skelter

Action: Clerk to ask GL Jones for date of repair

Action: Clerk to find out how Machynlleth council disposed of their play equipment.

AGENDA ITEM 14 – Correspondence


* Introduction of Strategic Development Plans.

The Chair reported that he and the clerk attended a meeting where Strategic Development Plans were explained, though no date has been given as to when they will be implemented. There will be 4 development plan areas and Aberdyfi will be in an area stretching from Aberdyfi up to Angelsey and across to Wrexham. The plans are envisaged to create more cohesive plans for these areas, such as transport and housing etc. but at the moment they are in the very early stages and who will be involved in creating the strategic plans has yet to be decided. 


* BCUHB update

The clerk reported that she had attended a meeting with representatives of BCUHB presenting on progress made one year on from being put in special measures. Improvements have been made in all areas, though generally these have only been small, and it was acknowledged that there is a long way to go. BCUHB have been working hard on creating closer links with staff and agencies such as the ambulance service and creating a more open culture so that improvements can be made from the bottom up rather than top-down. They will be holding face to face meetings throughout communities in Gwynedd this year to find out what local communities need and want to happen.

* Residents have expressed concerns about the new junction near Machynlleth as it is hard to see when travelling from Machynlleth and traffic coming from the other direction is travelling fast round a bend, so may well not be able to stop in time if someone is pulling out of the junction. It was agreed to write to Steffan Jones at Gwynedd Council.

Action: Clerk to write to Steffan Jones expressing the concerns of the Community Council

AGENDA ITEM 15 – Items for consideration at future meetings


* Creation and adoption of new operating policies

* Training plan review

* Water situation in Aberdyfi and frequency of burst pipes

* Slate compass in wharf gardens

* Shelter on way to Penhelig

AGENDA ITEM 16 – Items for release / Rushlight / Website / Facebook


  • Council Tax helpline number
  • Gwynedd Council Board meeting in village
  • Date & Agenda of Community meeting
  • Welsh Language sessions
  • Neuadd Dyfi events

AGENDA ITEM 13 – Date of next meeting


Monday 15th April 2024

There being no further business, the Chair closed the meeting at 9.15pm