Select Page

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held virtually via teleconferencing on Monday 17th January 2022

Present: Cllr Dewi Owen – Chair


Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Brian Kelly

Cllr Catrin O’Neill

Cllr Dai Owens

Cllr Megan Reynolds

Cllr Dave Williams

Cllr Simon Worman

Public: Pat Hellen

AGENDA ITEM 1 – Apologies


Cllr Jones, Cllr Tyrrell

AGENDA ITEM 2 – Chairman’s Announcements


The Chair welcomed everyone and noted that there have been quite a few people here on holiday now which is welcome for the village.

AGENDA ITEM 3 – To elect a Vice-Chair


Cllr Brain Kelly was voted in unanimously as Vice-Chair

Proposed: Cllr Williams Seconded: Cllr O’Neill

AGENDA ITEM 4 – To receive and confirm minutes of meeting 20th December 2021


Proposed: Cllr Kelly Seconded: Cllr O’Neill

Unanimously agreed

AGENDA ITEM 5 – Matters arising


Page 46

M/117/20.12.21 Community Needs Survey

It was agreed that a Place Plan is the logical way forward after the Community Needs Survey. It was agreed for the Clerk and Cllr O’Neill to form a working group with Des George to research what creating a Place Plan for Aberdyfi would involve and report back to the Council on their findings. 

Action: Clerk and Cllr O’Neill to meet with Mr. George


M/51/(15.06.20) request for drinking water fountain.

The clerk reported that she has emailed again but has not heard back from either Snowdonia National Park or Gwynedd Council.

Action: Clerk to contact them again

Page 47

M/107/(16.11.20) Subway improvements

The Clerk reported that the Streetworks department have emailed, saying that the highways department responsible for the maintenance of the subway have no objections to the project, but ask for sight of the proposed artwork beforehand to approve it’s suitability. Before we can proceed, we have to also have approval from the lighting department of Gwynedd Council and are awaiting their decision. 

It was agreed to seek information from local artists about what such a project might cost and set a budget using this information. It was suggested that once we have approval from the lighting department, local artists and art groups be invited to submit proposals for the work.

Action: Cllr Bradbury-Willis and Clerk to contact local artists to find out how much this sort of project might cost. Clerk to look back over minutes to see if there is any information available there.

M/166/(15.03.21) Football goalposts

Have now been installed and have been well-used already, with very positive feedback from locals.

M/139/(18.02.21) Crack in sea wall

Chair has spoken to Gwynedd Consultancy who do not yet have a date for repairing the crack. They confirmed that it will be highways that will be repairing the hole in the wall.

M/56/(19.07.21) Parking problems on Seaview Terrace

It was pointed out that the parking problems were highlighted in part of the community needs survey, but it was agreed that it is resident’s responsibility to apply for resident parking areas in the village. 

Action: Chair to speak to parking department of Gwynedd Council 

M/97/(20.10.21) Tywyn Minor Injuries Unit

Cllr Reynolds informed the Council that this month’s meeting was cancelled and there are currently 1000 vacancies in Betsy Cadwalader Health Board. It was agreed to write to BCUHB asking that Tywyn MIU is reinstated ASAP, before the main season. Cllr Bradbury-Willis reminded the council that anyone who needs attention can be seen at Dovey valley Health, they need to register as a temporary resident to be seen. 

Cllr Reynolds informed the council that it is hopeful that a new dentist will be found for Tywyn. 

Action: Clerk to write to BCUHB asking for Tywyn MIU to be opened as soon as possible. 


M/106/(15.11.21) Gwynedd Council Report

The Clerk has reported the trailer at BrynGwylan to Gwynedd Council, as has Cllr. Bradbury-Willis.

M/108/(15.11.21) To consider purchasing extra waste bins

The clerk has emailed Steffan Jones requesting a meeting as soon as possible, but has not heard back. 

Action: Clerk to contact Mr. Jones again

Page 49

M/122/(20.12.21) Planning

NP5/50/L308D Coast Deli Dining

The Chair reported that he has had various residents asking what can be done about the noise and smell outside and emanating from Coast Deli in recent months and he has been told that the environmental health department will be visiting the premises soon. He has been informed that Gwynedd Council intend to object to the planning application. The Chair clarified that these issues were only in relation to Coast Deli Dining and not Coast2Go.

Sheds being let out on AirBnB

There is concern that these are still being advertised but no planning application has been lodged.

Action: Clerk to contact Snowdonia National Park

M/42/(21.06.21) Purchase of bollards for Neuadd Dyfi car park

The Clerk has ordered the bollards and Geri Davies has confirmed he will install them.

M/124/(20.12.21) Purchase of hybrid meeting equipment

Clerk has ordered this equipment

M/127/(20.12.21) Items for consideration at future meetings

  • Clerk has emailed Gwynedd Council asking for the hedge to be cut back between Outward Bound and Picnic Island, but has not heard back

Action: Clerk to contact network Rail

  • Clerk emailed Gwynedd Council asking for their plans for the large tree at the bus stop by the Neuadd Dyfi, as several motorhome owners have moved their vehicles from under the tree as they are concerned about the tree falling on their vehicles. 

Action: Clerk to contact Gwynedd Council again

AGENDA ITEM 6 – Treasurer’s Report


Proposed: Cllr Reynolds Seconded: Cllr Williams

Unanimously agreed


AGENDA ITEM 7 – Gwynedd Council Report


The Chair reported that the dip in the road where the badger set caused subsidence now has signs warning of uneven surface and will be repaired in due course, though no date has been set yet.

He reported that the extra funding for the wharf development has been confirmed and that the contractors have now been formally appointed.

He reported that Picnic Island bridge is still due to be installed in April / May this year. 

AGENDA ITEM 8 – Planning


No planning applications have been received to date

AGENDA ITEM 9 – To consider grant applications


It was agreed to give £75 to the Air Ambulance, Dail Dysynni and Urdd Eisteddfod.

Proposed: Cllr Williams Seconded: Cllr O’Neill

Action: Clerk to transfer funds to the three charities

The clerk informed the council that the donation to the Neuadd Dyfi for 2021 will be half of the income from the machine in the Neuadd Dyfi car park, plus £2,500, as agreed previously. This gives a total of £6,425 / 2 = £3,212.50 + £2,500 = £5,712.50.

AGENDA ITEM 10 – To agree precept for 2022/ 2023


The clerk informed the council that inflation for the year 2021 was 4.6% and reminded councillors that last year the council raised the precept by the inflation rate at the time of 1.5%. It was agreed to raise the precept by 3%, giving a total of £37,348 x 3% = £38,468. This equates to band D properties of £38,468 / 1095.65 = £35.11, a drop of £2.99 due to the increase in tax base this year.

Proposed: Cllr Williams Seconded: Cllr Bradbury-Willis

Unanimously approved

AGENDA ITEM 11 – To discuss council self-assessment toolkit 


The Chair reported that using the toolkit was a useful exercise and confirmed that the Council is running as it should, though highlighted a few things, such as some training may be needed.The Clerk reported that the full toolkit will be available from May onwards and intends to go through the rest of it later in the year, as time allows. It was agreed to purchase a lockable cabinet for the council office.

Proposed: Cllr Owen Seconded: Cllr Bradbury-Willis

Action: clerk to report back to the Welsh Government and One Voice Wales on the use of the toolkit


AGENDA ITEM 12 – To consider cutting a path between the cemetery and the gas works


Aled’s father has cut a path in the past and has offered to do it again for £60. It was greed unanimously to ask him to continue.

Proposed: Cllr Owen Seconded: Cllr Bradbury-Willis

AGENDA ITEM 13 – To consider how to communicate more effectively with the community


It was agreed to leave this discussion until it comes up as part of the self-assessment toolkit later in the year.

AGENDA ITEM 14 – Correspondence


Letter received from Coast Deli Dining

Action: Clerk to reply with details outlined in Agenda Item 5 above.

AGENDA ITEM 15 – Items for consideration at future meetings


  • Purchase of container
  • Purchase of new benches and planters for the wharf gardens
  • Adoption of the NALC guidelines for clerk’s pay and conditions
  • Wharf development project
  • Subway project
  • Queen’s Jubilee celebrations

AGENDA ITEM 13 – Items for release / Rushlight / website / Facebook


  • Institute subscriptions due
  • British Legion Poppy Appeal results
  • Football posts
  • Wharf development project

AGENDA ITEM 14 – Date of next meeting


Monday 21st February 2022 at 7pm

There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.55pm