Select Page

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held at the Literary Instituteon Monday 21st November 2022

Present: Cllr Brian Kelly – Chair


Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Mark Dunton

Cllr Ian Hewins

Cllr Gareth Jones

Cllr Catrin O’Neill

Cllr Dewi Owen

Cllr Sadie Porter

Cllr Megan Reynolds

Cllr Bob Tyrrell

AGENDA ITEM 1 – Apologies


Apologies were accepted from Cllr Williams

AGENDA ITEM 2 – Public participation


No public participation

AGENDA ITEM 3 – Chairman’s Announcements


The Chair welcomed everyone and reported that it was good to see the work on the wharf going so well. He informed the council that Picnic Island Bridge has now been installed and is open to the public. The island side had become very overgrown and he wished to thank the harbourmaster for his work in clearing the area so it could be used by the public as soon as possible. 

The Chair reported that he attended the Annual meeting between SNPA and local councils and also the Society of Local Council Clerks / One Voice Wales joint conference, together with the clerk. 

AGENDA ITEM 4 – To receive and confirm minutes of the ordinary council meeting on 17thOctober 2022


Proposed: Cllr Bradbury-Willis Seconded: Cllr Hewins

AGENDA ITEM 5 – Matters arising


Page 23

M/46/(18.06.22) Update on Tywyn Health centre 

The clerk wrote to BCUHB requesting a representative attend this council meeting and received a reply that it had been passed to the Primary Care Team, but she has had no response from that department. 


Cllr Owens reported that he understands that 2 locums will be in post from next week, so hopefully things will improve. It was agreed to review the situation early next year.

Page 24

M/48/(18.06.22) To receive RoSPA report

GL Jones have said they cannot do the painting work, but can supply the paint, though will repair the wet-pour. It was agreed to request the specification and process for painting from GL Jones and ask them to repair the wet-pour.

Action: Clerk to contact GL Jones 

M/67/926.09.22) Place Plan

The Clerk reported that Planning Aid Wales confirmed that a community action plan is not an official process or document like a Place Plan, so the community of Aberdyfi can create an action plan from the results of the community needs survey in their own way and time. Cllr O’Neill pointed out that Resources4Change, who wrote the community needs survey and report, offered to facilitate creating an action plan. It was agreed to find out how this might work and how much it would cost.

Action: Clerk to contact Resources4Change

Page 26

M/81/(17.10.22) Ardal Ni areas needing attention

Cllr Tyrrell and the Clerk had a productive meeting with David Williams from the Ardal Ni team and reported that Mr Williams now has along list of tasks for Aberdyfi, which will be undertaken over time. Initially they will focus on small, achievable tasks, as the team will only be in Aberdyfi for a week every 2 months or so, progressing onto the larger projects as time goes on. Mr Williams is happy to receive any suggestions for improvements, even though it may not be within his sphere of responsibility, and he will pass them onto the relevant departments on our behalf. He has promised to send a schedule of works once it has been completed. 

M/82/(17.10.22) Food Festival 2023

Cllr Owens reported that he had been informed that a different group are now planning a festival of some kind, but he had no details and no-one has approached him or the clerk to seek support. It was not known if this is intended to replace the Food Festival or will be in addition to it. 

M/83/(17.10.22) Creation of a warm space

The clerk has had no response to her request in Rushlight to establish if there is a need, but it may be that the need doesn’t become obvious until the weather gets colder. The clerk informed the council that there is currently funding available for community groups to provide warms spaces from Mantell Gwynedd. 

Page 27

M/84/(17.10.22) Correspondence

Cycle Path

Cllr Tyrrell informed the council that he has been unsuccessful in contacting Iwan ap


Trefor to find out what stage the project is at, as Mr. ap Trefor has moved departments and it is unclear who has taken over his job and the project. 

Action: Clerk and Cllr Owen to contact Gwynedd Council to find out details. 

Compound project

A planning application has been submitted for the project on the advice of the planning officer at SNPA. This will have to be paid for by the Community Council initially, but will be reimbursed by FLAG. 

AGENDA ITEM 6 – Treasurer’s Report


Proposed: Cllr Reynolds Seconded: Cllr Tyrrell

Unanimously agreed

AGENDA ITEM 7 – Gwynedd Council report


Cllr Owen reported that there is a full meeting of Gwynedd Council on 1st December to discuss the proposed council tax increase on second homes, which is proposed to be 300%. He pointed out that there are currently 26 properties for sale in Aberdyfi and has been told by some residents that if the increase is implemented, they will have no option but to sell their property, as they will not be able to afford the price rise. Gwynedd Council have informed him that they will not be putting the income raised from this extra tax into building affordable houses as promised, but it will be used to offset some of the £18 million deficit predicted for next year. 

He reported that there was a harbour-users meeting recently and this was the last one to be attended by Barry Davies, who is retiring in March. It is now known who will be taking over his post. 

There is a new owner of the Penhelig slipway and it has been confirmed that there is no public right of way down the slipway, though there may well be a statutory right of way. Cllr Dunton pointed out that people moor boats in the harbour there and use the slipway to access the land, though Barry Davies has confirmed that this area is not classed as a harbour, though it is used by the public, as evidenced by the life-ring attached to the wall at the bottom of the slipway. It is not clear what the new owners plan to do with the slipway, but the gate at the top is currently locked. 

Cllr Owen attended a meeting of the Cambrian railway and reported that the works at Barmouth bridge were ahead of schedule and the bridge may open earlier than expected, with work continuing at night and weekends, depending on the weather. New rail lines are being installed in Tywyn and work is also being done at Dovey viaduct while the rail line is closed. 

Cllr Owen has been told that the dip in the road at Dyffryn Hill will be filled when the workers are next in the area.


AGENDA ITEM 8 – Planning


NP5/50/400D Land next to Greenhill Bungalow, Copperhill Street, Aberdyfi, LL35 0HF

Change of use of land and construction of garage, workshop and parking area.

The Council has evidence that the ownership of this land is in dispute so cannot comment on the application.

Action: Clerk to write to SNPA with this information 

Tides Inn, Seaview Terrace, Aberdyfi, LL35 0EF

Premises licence variation application

The council has received complaints from residents of excessive noise since this premises has been open and object to extending the hours on all counts.

Action: Clerk to write to the licencing officer objecting to the application 

NP5/50/153B The Exchange, 4 Terrace Road, Aberdyfi, LL35 0LP

Notice of appeal following refusal of planning permission.

It was agreed to write to SNPA thanking them for their work and support in the recent appeal case of Aberdyfi Hillside Park. 

Action: Clerk to write to SNPA

AGENDA ITEM 9 – To note new pay-scales from NALC


The new pay-scales were noted and the clerk reminded the council that they apply from April 2022-2023.

AGENDA ITEM 10 – To approve yearly payment to the Information Commissioner’s office for data protection.


It was noted that this is a statutory fee and it was agreed to pay by direct debit.

Proposed: Cllr O’Neill Seconded: Cllr Bradbury-Willis

Action: Clerk to set up direct debit payments

AGENDA ITEM 11 – To consider and approve costings of information boards


It was agreed to seek clarification on the amount sought and ask if the AA&I would fund this project.

Action: Clerk to seek clarification and write to AA&I to ask if it will fund the project.

AGENDA ITEM 12 – Correspondence


Tree planting

Approximately 30% of the tree planted in the village last year have not taken, so a


resident has sourced replacements for delivery and planting in January.

CCTV system

The Chair reported that now the contract has ended, the CCTV cameras now belong to us. The clerk is researching a scheme used in North Wales whereby a council pays for the CCTV system, but it is administered by North Wales Police, to see if this is worth pursuing for Aberdyfi.

Rubbish bins

Local businesses are in discussion with the harbourmaster to enclose some of the covered area by the toilets to contain the commercial bins. It would be completely enclosed with a locked door. The businesses will pay for the work to be done, pay for ongoing vermin control and pay to keep the area clean. Local residents have complained about the bins that are currently there and have been moving them behind the building, but this blocks access to the disabled toilet. The clerk pointed out that this area is under control of the harbour, the community council does not have any jurisdiction in this area and there are shelters at the other end of the wharf gardens. The Council decided that this system would not work and that Gwynedd Council should put pressure on businesses to use their bins in the area by the fire station. 


SP Energy Networks have told the clerk that they will be cutting down some trees in the allotments, as they are in danger of interfering with overhead power lines. Once they have done this, the clerk intends to get quotes to cut back other trees in the allotments, as they are stopping light getting to some of the plots. 

Residents parking

It was agreed again that this is not an issue for the Community Council to pursue and they do not support the application, but reiterated that individual residents have every right to apply for residents parking should they wish. It was noted that even if the application for residents parking on Seaview Terrace is successful at this stage, there are 2 more consultations as well as legal processes to go through before residents parking can be instated. 

Wharf railings

The council discussed various designs of railings and concluded that the primary concern needs to be that they are easy to maintain and repair. 

Fireworks on New Year’s Eve

The Chair confirmed that there will be fireworks on New year’s eve.

Air Ambulance meeting

The Clerk drew the attention of the Council to a meeting being held on Thursday evening in Tywyn about the proposed closure of the Air Ambulance bases in Welshpool and Caernarfon. 


AGENDA ITEM 13 – Items for consideration at future meetings


  • Training Plan

AGENDA ITEM 15 – Items for release / Rushlight / website / Facebook


  • Advent windows list
  • Carols by Candlelight service
  • Picnic Island bridge
  • Remembrance Sunday
  • Wharf update
  • Neuadd Dyfi roof
  • Fireworks display at New Year

AGENDA ITEM 16 – Date of next meeting


Monday 12th December 2022 at 7pm

There being no further business the meeting was closed by the Chair at 9.35pm