Select Page

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held at the Literary Institute on Monday 20th November 2023

Present: Cllr Brian Kelly – Chair


Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Mark Dunton

Cllr Roman Hackelsberger

Cllr Ian Hewins

Cllr Catrin O’Neill

Cllr Dewi Owen – Gwynedd Councillor

Cllr Megan Reynolds

Cllr Sadie Porter

Cllr Dave Williams

2 members of the public were present.

AGENDA ITEM 1 – Apologies


Apologies received from Cllr Tyrrell

AGENDA ITEM 2 – Chair announcements


The Chair welcomed everyone and announced that the official opening of the wharf development took place last week with dignitaries from Gwynedd Council and other organisations present. He thanked Cllr Reynolds for replacing the batteries in the defibrillators and the clerk noted that the battery needs to show 0 before it will stop working. 

AGENDA ITEM 3 – To receive and confirm minutes of the ordinary council meeting on 16thOctober 2023.


Proposed: Cllr O’Neill Seconded: Cllr Hackelsberger

Unanimously agreed

AGENDA ITEM 4 – Matters arising


Page 23

M/3/15.05.23 – Time & Tide bell information board

The board is now in place but it was noted that it is looking tired. It was agreed for the clerk to check the if it needs replaced and if the wording needs to be changed. Also to consider the possibility of adding a QR code to the information.

Action: Clerk to check the information board

M/24/19.06.23 – Coastal erosion

Cllr Owen is to meet with the golf club and Parc Eryri to see what needs to be

Cllr Williams noted that NRW dictate what maintenance the golf club can do 


on the sand dunes

M/34/17.07.23 – Planning violations

The clerk contacted Parc Eryri and they confirmed that they plan to hold an online meeting this year

Page 24

M/42/17.07.23 – Railings in main car park

Cllr Owen showed the problem to the Head of Highways of Gwynedd Council at the wharf opening and he has agreed to come to Aberdyfi again soon to discuss a solution.

M/51/18.09.23 – Road closure in January

It was noted that this is now likely to happen in February and more details should be forthcoming within the next week.

M/55/18.09.23 – Payment for storage of kitchen

Clerk has contacted Mr George but has not had a reply

Action: Clerk to chase up

M/57/18.09.23 – RoSPA report

The clerk has met with Stuart Myring and is waiting for a quote to paint the playground equipment.

Page 25

M/58/18.09.23 – Review Food Festival

Cllr Owen and the Clerk met with organisers of the Food festival and they have agreed to run the event next year, but asked for more help. It was agreed the clerk will take responsibility for the financial aspect of the festival and the organisers will contact the clerk if they need help with other things.

M/59/18.09.23 – Correspondence


These have been painted, as has the welcome sign at the Penhelig end of the village.

Page 26

M/68/16.10.23 – Gwynedd Council report

Release pf game birds

Cllr Owen reported that he had spoken to Gwynedd Council and Parc Eryri and both organisations replied that there is nothing they can do about the problem of game birds being released in Pennal and Happy Valley area, as it is currently

unregulated. Cllr O’Neil reported that she had had several close calls with birds and other cars trying to avoid birds on the road and was concerned that an accident will happen soon. She reported that there are bird feeders on the bank above the road at Cwrt, meaning that the birds are feeding on the food

that has fallen out of the feeder onto the road and she had moved one of the


feeders as they had fallen into the road. She has contacted Highways at Gwynedd Council and sent them photos and Cllr Owen has asked Gwynedd Council to contact the organisers of the shoots.

Cycle path

The clerk reported that Gwynedd Council were unsuccessful in obtaining grant funding to complete the cycle path and they will apply again when the next round of funding opens for applications.

AGENDA ITEM 5 – Treasurer’s report


Proposed: Cllr Bradbury-Willis Seconded: Cllr Porter

Unanimously agreed

AGENDA ITEM 6 – Gwynedd Council report


Cllr Owen reported on Gwynedd Council matters as the Gwynedd Councillor for Aberdyfi. The report included:

Thank you to everyone who attended the Remembrance Services on Sunday and it was agreed to write to Mr Richardson who organises both events.

It was good to meet with the Chief Executive of Gwynedd Council face to face at the wharf opening as Cllr Owen was able to speak to him about various issues in the village and he plans to come back to Aberdyfi soon to discuss these issues further.

Action: Clerk to thank Mr Richardson

Action: Cllr Owen to meet with Gwynedd Council early next year

AGENDA ITEM 7 – Planning


The council declared an interest in the playground application.

NP5/50/754 Aberdyfi Playground, Bodfor Terrace LL35 0EA

Refurbishment of playground equipment and wet-pour surface.

NP5/50/532F Tourist Information Centre, The Wharf, Aberdyf

LL35 0EE

Change external doors and glazing to shop fronts for new automatic opening doors, install notice boards on the front of the building, refurbish external ramps and installation of solar PV panels.

No objections were raised.

AGENDA ITEM 8 – To approve licence for use of football field by golf club


It was agreed the licence is acceptable as a draft and should be sent to the golf club.

Proposed: Cllr Hewins Seconded: Cllr Bradbury-Willis

Action: Clerk to send licence to the Golf club 


AGENDA ITEM 9 – To approve change of lease with Gwynedd Council


It was agreed to go ahead with a change to the lease, ideally allowing the community council to sub-let the football field to anyone using the licence which is being used to sub0let to the golf club.

Proposed: Cllr O’Neill Seconded: Cllr Porter

Action: Clerk to send draft licence to Gwynedd Council and ask for the sub-let clause to be generic

AGENDA ITEM 10 – To discuss opening a savings account


It was agreed to open an instant access savings account with Charity Bank and for the finance committee to research a notice account.

Proposed: Cllr Hackelsberger Seconded: Cllr Bradbury-Willis

Action: Clerk to open an instant access savings account 

Action: Finance committee to meet to discuss notice accounts.

AGENDA ITEM 11 – To discuss installation of speed signs


It was agreed to ask for examples of the type of speed signs Gwynedd Council are able to provide and to ask for cost of civil works if signs will be put on lamp-posts.

Action: Clerk to contact Andrew Gregson at Gwynedd Council

AGENDA ITEM 12 – To approve enrolling clerk in a pension plan


It was noted that the clerk hasn’t yet been enrolled in a pension plan. Cllr Porter volunteered to take this on.

Proposed: Cllr Williams Seconded: Cllr Hewins

Action: Cllr Porter to enrol clerk in a pension plan

AGENDA ITEM 13 – To note new salary scale from NALC


The new salary scales were noted and the clerk reminded the council that the scales date from 1st April 2023

AGENDA ITEM 14 – To discuss sharing CCTV system with the harbour authority.


It was agreed to go ahead with this, though some concerns were raised about the effect using a tilt and zoom camera will have on the wi-fi and function of the card payment system in the Tourist Information Centre. It was agreed to bring this to the attention of the harbourmaster.

It was noted that currently Cllr Kelly was the only one in the council with access to the CCTV footage and that the clerk also needs to be able to view the footage. It was also agreed that the system should only be checked occasionally. It was suggested that in the interest of transparency, anyone who accesses the footage


should keep a log of when they log in and out of the system. It was noted the police have also been given log-in details to the system.

Proposed: Cllr O’Neill Seconded: Cllr Bradbury-Willis

Action: Cllr Kelly to liaise with the harbourmaster 

Action: Clerk to check she is able to log in to the system

Action: Anyone accessing footage to keep a record of when they log in and out of the system.

AGENDA ITEM 15 – To discuss paying Gwynedd Council to remove grass cuttings from Maes Newydd playground


Gwynedd Council have told the Community Council that there is no mechanism for them to reimburse us for the cost of cutting and removing the grass cuttings. It was agreed to ask Aled how much he would charge just to remove the cuttings.

Action: Clerk to contact Aled

AGENDA ITEM 16 – To discuss installing a village noticeboard


It was noted that Parc Eryri are planning on putting a digital noticeboard in the Tourist Information Centre where the Community Council were hoping to site one. It was suggested that we could potentially share their digital noticeboard. The clerk informed the council that a physical noticeboard would cost approximately £1000 and this would replace the noticeboard by the toilets in the centre of the village. It was suggested that it might also be possible to install a TV in the pharmacy window which could act as a digital noticeboard. It was agreed to ask the pharmacy if they are willing to do this and ask Aberdyfi Tourism group if they are willing to spend their money on this system. 

Action: Clerk to contact Aberdyfi Tourism

Action: Clerk to contact Pharmacy

Action: Clerk to add to agenda for next month.

AGENDA ITEM 17 – Correspondence


* New year’s Day fundraiser

WeSwimRun are planning a playground fundraiser again on New year’s Day

* Aberdyfi wi-fi project

Menter-Mon have offered to come and do another session for local businesses

* Car park planting

Cllr Hackelsberger has proposed a planting solution for the main car park.

Action: Clerk to contact Gwynedd Council

* Aberdyfi Plastic Free Community

A proposal for Aberdyfi to become part of the Plastic Free Community Campaign was received. It was agreed to join the campaign. Cllr Porter volunteered to be on the steering group

Action: Clerk to inform the campaign of our intention to be involved


* Public toilet concerns

Email received from a member of the public, expressing concerns about the state of the public toilets.

It was agreed to find out if Gwynedd Council plan to refurbish them and if not, how much it would cost to refurbish them, with the view to possibly covering the cost between the community council and AA&I.

Action: Clerk to contact Gwynedd Council

* Tywyn Hospital update

Cllr Reynolds gave an update on the staffing issues at Tywyn hospital 

AGENDA ITEM 18 – Items for consideration at future meetings


* Village noticeboard and digital noticeboard at the pharmacy 

AGENDA ITEM 19 – Items for release / Rushlight / Website / Facebook


* Remembrance Day services

* Opening of the wharf

* Advent windows

* Plastic Free Campaign

* Welcome to the new Post Office owners

* Fireworks New year

* New Year’s Day fundraiser

AGENDA ITEM 20 – Date of next Meeting


Monday 18th December 2023 at 7.00pm

There being no further business, the Chair closed the meeting at 9.10pm


Minutes of the ordinary meeting of the financial committee of Aberdyfi Community Council held at the Literary Institute on Monday 27th November2023


Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Bob Tyrrell

Cllr Dave Williams

AGENDA ITEM 1 – Apologies


Apologies received from Cllr Owen

AGENDA ITEM 2 – To discuss budget for 2024/25


The budget was discussed and it was agreed to present to the full council at the December or Januarymeeting.

Action: Clerk to add to agenda

AGENDA ITEM 3 – To discuss opening a notice savings account


It was agreed to propose opening an instant access savings account with Unity Trust Bank for the money currently ring-fenced for the Aberdyfi Tourism organisation and Playground Appeal donations. It was also agreed to propose opening a second one with Charity Bank for all but £10,000 of the remaining balance in the current account, assuming it is not too difficult to administer, and the current account balance to be kept at approximately £10,000. It was agreed to review the situation again next year with a view to possibly opening a notice savings account. 

Action: Clerk to research how easy it is to administer the Charity Bank savings account.

Action: Clerk to add to agenda for December meeting

The meeting closed at 11.30am