MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF ABERDYFI COMMUNITY COUNCIL HELD IN THE OFFICE IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, LITERARY INSTITUTE, ABERDYFI ON MONDAY,
20th MARCH 2017
Present were :- Cllr B Lloyd Chairman
Councillors :- D Richardson
AGENDA ITEM 1- APOLOGIES
Apologies received from Cllrs. G Pugh, D Williams, C Fowles, G Davies & M Reynolds
AGENDA ITEM 2 – CHAIRMAN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS
Cllr Lloyd informed the meeting that BT had promised a refund of two months line rental as compensation for their disruption of the Council’s phone and broadband connections over December and January.
Nomination forms for the forthcoming elections are with the Clerk and they are required to be completed and submitted by Tuesday 4th April.
The next Council meeting, because of the Easter Bank Holiday, will be held on 24th April.
AGENDA ITEM 3 – ORDINARY MEETING 20th FEBRUARY
It was agreed that the minutes were a true and accurate record of the ordinary meeting.
PROPOSED by Cllr Richardson and SECONDED by Cllr Bates
AGENDA ITEM 4 – MATTERS ARISING
- CL/71/(19.09.16) Public toilets
The Clerk is awaiting a response from Louis Hiatt regarding his ‘qualifications’ regarding the maintenance for the toilets, as requested by Alun Wynn Jones. Also, Alun Wynn Jones has not forwarded yet the timetable for cleaning the Aberdyfi toilets for 2017. The Clerk will follow this up this week.
The Clerk has been contacted by Bethan Hughes, who has taken over, from Anwen Davies, responsibility for negotiating with councils the issue of public toilets funding issues. A meeting with the Clerk has been set for this Wednesday 22nd March, 3.00, Aberdyfi Council office – Cllrs Lloyd and Owen will attend.
- CL/102/(21.11.16) Aberdyfi car park
Cllr Richardson pointed out that a local resident had taken the matter of the white lining in the Nantiesin into his own hands, over concern that an accident is likely to happen if no action was to be taken. The Clerk forwarded photographs of both car parks to Gwynedd’s Colin Jones. The Clerk received confirmation from Colin Jones that the pictures of the poor state of the car parks have been received. He said that the issue of clearing the car parks would be addressed when ‘funds permitted’
Cllr Lloyd expressed his frustration at Gwynedd’s poor response to this matter, particularly in the context of Gwynedd generation annual revenues of over £150,000 per year from the main car park alone.
Cllr Owen had raised the matter with Gwenan Tomos at Gwynedd who had promised that the Nantiesin car park vegetation and the sand on the main car park would be addressed.
- CL/99/(21.11.16) School Building
The Clerk spoke on Wednesday last week with CCG Hugh Evans to update on the affordable housing project. According to Hugh all is progressing OK. Architects have prepared draft plans for 8 dwellings (for the purpose of negotiating with Gwynedd) and, with the continued support from Snowdonia, Hugh is confident that Gwynedd Cabinet will eventually approve the sale of the land to CCG.
Cllr Owen had spoken with Meilir Hughes, Gwynedd Property Department, who had confirmed that the process was in hand, and that Gwynedd had been given a guide offer of £15,000 a plot from CCG. This was not regarded as sufficient and that negotiations needed to move forward regarding this offer. Meilir Hughes indicated that a price in excess of £20,000 might be considered more appropriate.
- CL/128/(21.11.16) Storm drains
- Still no news on the storm drains situation. The clerk has taken some fresh pictures, during the rains last week, showing flooded drains and will forward to Iwan Richards and keep pestering until we see some action.
- CL/148/(20.02.17) Pre Election Public meeting
The meeting went reasonably well and to date it is understood that two new applicants will have lodged their nomination papers for election to this Community Council.
- CL/149/(20.02.17) Copperhill Street tree removal
The Clerk has been advised that the funding for the tree removal is in place and that subject to confirmation of appropriate insurances, risk assessment, practice of work etc. from Guto at Platform Cymru, the trees should be down before Easter. MMP’s Martin Morris is acting on behalf of the Cae Argoed residents and his professional experience and knowledge will ensure that the matter is managed and monitored accordingly.
- CL/150/(20.03.17) Police callout
Cllr Richardson informed the meeting that an Aberdyfi resident had been assaulted outside his house and a 999 call was made at 6.30pm. The police attended at 9.00pm. This is not acceptable. We should ask for an explanation.
- CL/150/(20.02.17) Green waste bin
There had been some disagreement within the village regarding the position of the Bwtri Blasus green waste bin, now that their plot at Prospect Place had been lost. The staff at Bwtri Blasus had repositioned their bin by the cash machine opposite the chemist shop, and a local resident had taken exception this. Cllr Richardson suggested that there was space outside the ladies toilets, in shade and out of the way. Cllr Owen had discussed the matter with Cllr Pugh, who raised the matter originally. He had spoken with the Harbourmaster Will Stockford who agreed that Bwtri Blasus could put their bin adjacent to the Harbourmaster office, as long as it had a lock on it.
Cllr Owen was going to speak with Mr Crisp at Outward Bound to see if they would release some space behind the wall by the cash machine, to allow placement of the waste bins, a more discreet area for all concerned.
AGENDA ITEM 5 – TYWYN TOWN COUNCIL CLERK CORRESPONDENCE
The Clerk received e-mail correspondence from Tywyn town Council Clerk Bedwyr Gwilym, suggesting that Tywyn and Aberdyfi Councils might communicate more and perhaps the Clerks have regular informal meetings to discuss shared issues and concerns, possibly even involving Machynlleth Council. He also asked this Council’s Clerk his opinion on the recording of Council meetings for minute purposes. Clerk responded thus, “I can confirm that we have used tape/digital recording for many years and have proved essential with regard to the preparation of accurate and unambiguous minutes for Council approval.”
Regarding the idea of more cooperation between the Tywyn and Aberdyfi Communities, Council felt this to be a good, positive suggestion. Cllr Lloyd felt that common issues, such as Dyfi Bridge, might benefit from such an approach. Cllr Owen agreed that such an approach could work well.
There was agreement that informal meetings should be instigated forthwith.
AGENDA ITEM 6 – GUEST SPEAKER INVITATION
Cllr Lloyd had spoken with Cllr Owen, who had suggested that this council should invite the next Leader of Gwynedd Council down to Aberdyfi, after the May elections, to join the June or July Council meeting.
AGENDA ITEM 7 – REVISED ALLOTMENT APPLICATION FORM
The Clerk has redrafted the application form to address the residency priority matter, as circulated to Council, as follows: “Please note that priority will be given to applicants resident in Aberdyfi.”
This amendment was agreed unanimously by Council.
AGENDA ITEM 8 – GWYNEDD COUNCIL REPORT
Cllr Owen confirmed that the last full Gwynedd Council meeting before the 4th May elections had been held on the 2nd March.
As such, there was little accomplished apart from debating further the issue of cuts.
The current Head of Education had resigned the post just two years after commencing employment. The position is to be advertised.
Rhodri Williams, Chair of Ofcom, was a guest speaker who confirmed that 90% of Wales will have Broadband by the end of this year. Even so, there was general agreement that coverage for rural areas had little prospect for major improvement.
Cllr Owen informed the meeting that mobile phone services in the area are to be greatly improved, and that 4G is on its way.
Old fashioned telephone kiosks are to totally phased out unless there is compelling evidence that there are threats to safety by removing such kiosk access.
Cllr Jones joined the meeting.
AGENDA ITEM 9 – PLANNING
NP5/50/667D Uplands, Aberdyfi
Allow changes to drainage and to omit need for obscure glazing. Condition variance
NP5/50/694A Ael y Bryn, Balkan Hill, Aberdyfi
Two storey extension
NP5/50/415D Ty Bach, Aberdyfi
Conversion of public toilets to holiday accommodation
NP5/50/709B Ty Mor Wennol, Philip Avenue, Aberdyfi
Change garage windows from roof windows to dormers. Conditioon variance.
AGENDA ITEM 10 – TREASURER’S REPORT
The Treasurer’s report for March was accepted and minuted as a true record
PROPOSED by Cllr Richards SECONDED by Cllr Jones
AGENDA ITEM 11 – COMMITTEE REPORTS
Cllr Richardson pointed out to Barry Davies at the 28th February Harbour Consultative Committee meeting that the outer buoy had been cast adrift during Storm Doris.
Will Stockford’s assistant, Jack, has been confirmed for the summer season and as part time member of staff over the winter months has proved to be an asset to the village.
After concerns voiced over the last 12 months regarding safety on the beaches of the area, it is hoped that beach patrol will be in operation for 2017, funding of £4000,00 allowing. They will not be lifeguards, but voluntary advisers and observers.
Cllr Richardson noted that approximately 95% of the sacrificial anodes on the quay steel piling had eroded and needed renewing. It was encouraging that the anodes appear to have slowed the process of decay in the steelwork. The quay wall has been given a further five years of life and Gwynedd’s main thrust in its seeking of external funding for its renovation/renewal will be its role as strategically essential flood defence.
The common land area adjacent to the garage entrance is a worsening eyesore. Barry Davies has indicated that a fence will be erected to prevent flytipping, before the end of May, although planning permission will need to be applied for.
Applications for moorings have been posted and the fees for the 2017 will increase by 2% for leisure craft and 6% for commercial. A charge of £25.00 will be levied this year, as a one off payment to the Crown Estate.
The harbourmaster has erected a wooden structure above the slipway as a sand barrier.
Cllr Owen noted that the plans for the quay wall project had finally been submitted for planning approval.
Cllr Owen asked whether Council felt it appropriate to make a donation towards the beach patrol funding. Cllr Lloyd felt that as the Harbour Authority had underspent this last financial year by approximately £7,000.00, perhaps this money could be allocated. This was the second consecutive year of an underspend. Notwithstanding, Cllr Lloyd did not have an objection to the principle of such funding.
Cllr Richards asked what action Barry Davies had planned for the common land, in the context of perhaps action after the moorings go back into the water. Cllr Owen said that the discovery of dumped asbestos was not helpful, creating delays and increased costs.
Cllr Lloyd thanked Cllr Richardson for his full report.
Cambrian Coast Railway Committee
Cllr Owen confirmed that Network rail were due to erect a new shelter at Dyfi Junction, before Easter.
Arriva Trains are re-tendering for the franchise and the result should be known by the end of April. New carriages are to be introduced and it is hoped that with enough rolling stock an improvement in the hourly service will result. There have been many negative observations regarding the poor pronunciation of the Welsh language on inboard speakers.
AGENDA ITEM 12 – CORRESPONDENCE
Boundary Commission Advice of secondary consultation period
Welsh Government vacancy – Vice President National Library of Wales
Gwynedd a Mon Draft draft assessment ‘Well-being of Future Generations’
Siemens 1st annual payment of photocopier financial agreement
AGENDA ITEM 13 – PUBLICATIONS
Welsh Coastal Life
AGENDA ITEM 14 – ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Cllr Richardson had been contacted by Morgan Vaughan asking about the Institute chairs and the ‘thank you’ plaque. Cllr Richardson suggested that he write to the Clerk.
Cllr Jones observed that the hedging on the wall below Philip Avenue required attention as it was causing obstruction. The Clerk will discuss the matter with Highways.
Cllr Richardson also expressed puzzlement over the hedges on Rhowniar Hill.
AGENDA ITEM 15
ITEMS FOR PRESS RELEASE
- Pound coins update
- Trefeddian Terrace culvert
- Food Festival
- 125 years of Golf Club
There being no further business the meeting closed at 8.45pm