Select Page

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held at the Literary Institute on Monday 17th October 2022

Present: Cllr Brian Kelly – Chair


Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Ian Hewins

Cllr Catrin O’Neill

Cllr Dewi Owen

Cllr Sadie Porter

Cllr Bob Tyrrell

Cllr Dave Williams

Public: Pat Hellen

Phil Morgan

AGENDA ITEM 1 – Apologies


Apologies accepted from Cllrs Dunton, Jones and Reynolds.

AGENDA ITEM 2 – Public participation


No public participation

AGENDA ITEM 3 – Chair announcements


The Chair welcomed everyone and informed that Council that he noticed some new electric car chargers are being installed in the main car park. He also reminded everyone that there is a meeting at the Neuadd Dyfi on Thursday 20th October to discuss the ‘Our Area 2035’ consultation with Gwynedd Council.

AGENDA ITEM 4 – To receive and confirm minutes of the ordinary council meeting on 26thSeptember 2022.


Proposed: Cllr Bradbury-Willis  Seconded: Cllr Owen

AGENDA ITEM 5 – Matters arising


Page 18

M/31/(20.06.22) To discuss use of village noticeboard

Clerk hasn’t had time to further research electronic noticeboards.

Action: Clerk to research electronic notice-boards.

M/46/(18.06.22) Tywyn Health Centre

It was noted that residents are still experiencing great difficulty in contacting Tywyn Health Centre and getting a GP appointment. It was agreed to encourage residents to complain to BCUHB if they have problems. It was agreed to ask a representative


from the Health Board to attend out next meeting.

Action: Clerk to put BCUHB contact details in Rushlight and to request a representative to attend the next council meeting. 

Page 20

M65/(26.09.22) To discuss ROSPA report

Clerk has asked GL Jones to repaint the swings and roundabout and repair the wet-pour at the base of the helter-skelter. It was agreed to get the benches bolted to the ground

Action: Clerk to arrange for benches to be bolted down. 

Page 21

M/67/(26.09.22) Place Plan

Cllr O’Neill reported that the clerk and herself had a meeting with Planning Aid Wales, who explained that a Place Plan only covers planning and land use issues. They suggested that a Community Action Plan might be of more use to Aberdyfi, as it is much more holistic and would link well with the Community Needs Survey carried out last year. They offered to do some bespoke training for the council with a session entitled ‘Is a Place Plan Right for You?’ for £600 but it was felt that this wasn’t required and the Council should pursue a Community Action Plan instead. It was agreed to delegate this to Cllr O’Neill and the Clerk to take forward.

Action: Clerk and Cllr O’Neill to research a Community Action Plan and report back.

AGENDA ITEM 6 – Treasurer’s report


Proposed: Cllr O’Neill Seconded: Cllr Williams

Unanimously agreed

AGENDA ITEM 7 – Gwynedd Council report


Cllr Owen informed the Council that there was an emergency meeting of the full Gwynedd Council last week to discuss the current financial crisis. He reported that Gwynedd Council are facing a deficit of £7.1 million this year but as they have reserves of just over £8 million, the shortfall will be covered in the short term. However, there is a projected deficit of £18 million next year in Gwynedd (£260 million for the whole of Wales) and Cllr Owen expects local councils to be asked to take on more of the burden of providing services. 

Cllr Owen also informed the Council that Gwynedd Council are hoping to provide free parking between 10thand 27th December in their car parks. 

AGENDA ITEM 8 – Planning


NP5/50/439A Ty Carreg, Aberdyfi Ll35 0LE

It was felt that this development was an overdevelopment and not in keeping with surrounding buildings, would impact the amenities of neighbouring


properties. The development will also substantially alter the look of the building and as it is in the Conservation Area, the council agreed to object to the application.

Action: Clerk to write to Snowdonia National Park Authority raising objections

The Clerk informed the Council that the application for The Exchange (NP5/50/153B The Exchange, LL35 0LP) has been turned down and they are planning on appealing. Cllr Hewins informed the Council that he thought it was possible for a local Council to list a building and suggested the Council investigate this further as a future option.

Action: Clerk to research the possibility of Council’s listing buildings.

The Clerk asked the councillors attending the Annual meeting with SNPA to request SNPA to start reporting back on the issues raised by the Community Council as the Clerk is never clear if issues have been dealt with or what the outcomes were.

Action: Councillors to request feedback on issues raised by the Community Council

The issue of the swimming pool at Balkan House was raised and the clerk informed the Council that she had emailed SNPA about the issue but hasn’t heard anything back.

It was noted that there seems to be a fourth unit being built at Crychnant (application NP5/50/144C) when planning was only given for 3 units. 

Action: Clerk to inform SNPA

AGENDA ITEM 9 – To receive presentation on information boards


Mr. Phil Morgan gave a presentation on the type and scope of information boards that the Aberdyfi Biodiversity Group would like to install in the village. Three locations have been identified – at the gas works, the Golf Club car park and at the top of the pedestrian slipway onto the beach by the RNLI station. All signs will be bilingual and give information on the various protected areas, wildlife and the Biosphere Reserve. Each sign will also signpost to the other information boards. It was agreed to ask Mr. Morgan to obtain a design and full quote for the information boards and forward them to the council for a final decision. 

Action: Clerk to liaise with Mr. Morgan to obtain design and quote. Clerk to add to agenda for next meeting

AGENDA ITEM 10 – To discuss SNPA Consultation on Aberdyfi Conservation Area


It was agreed that the consultation document was very detailed and a good starting point, but there was concern that many buildings in the conservation area have already had work done which goes against the aims of a conservation area, which seems incongruous. It was agreed to request clarification on the criteria for being included in a conservation area. It was also agreed that buildings like Craig y Don,


Brynderfel, Monkshill, Talarfor etc. also need to be included.

Action: Clerk to respond to the consultation requesting clarification and suggesting which other buildings be included.

AGENDA ITEM 11 – To adopt One Voice Wales model financial regulations


Proposed: Cllr Owen Seconded: Cllr Tyrrell

Agreed unanimously

AGENDA ITEM 12 – To discuss list of areas needing attention to send to Ardal Ni Team


It was noted that the Buddleia in Nantiesin car park / street needs cut back and should be added to the list. It was also noted that the vegetation between the fire station and the subway also needs cut back, but this is the responsibility of Network Rail. Cllr Owen informed the council he has a meeting with Network rail in the next couple of weeks so would bring it to their attention then. It was agreed to delegate the Ardal Niproject to Cllr Tyrrell and the Clerk and they should arrange to meet with the Ardal Ni team to discuss it further.

Action: Cllr Tyrrell and Clerk to arrange meeting with Ardal Ni team.

Action: Cllr Owen to tell Network Rail about overgrown vegetation by the fire station.

AGENDA ITEM 13 – To discuss funding for the Food Festival 2023


Cllr Owen informed the Council that he had met with the organisers recently and they estimated that costs for next year would be approximately £4,600. It will be held on Sunday 20th August, the day after Race The train. It was agreed that the Food Festival is a great event for the village and the Council will support the organisers in their efforts next year. 

AGENDA ITEM 14 – To discuss creation of a warm space in Aberdyfi


Cllr Hewins informed the council that he has spoken to both the English Church and St. Peter’s and they have decided not to offer anything at this time as they do not see an immediate need, as the drop-in centre provides a warm space. It was noted that the drop-in centre only runs one day a week, so there may be a need on other days. The churches have agreed to let Cllr Hewins know if they identify there is a need on other days, at which point the council would discuss if it is able to contribute any funding. Cllr O’Neill suggested that the Neuadd Dyfi would be a good place to use as it has the ground-source heating which is always on and the clerk suggested that the Reading Room would also be worth considering, as it is open 6 days a week and is heated during the day.

It was agreed to assess if there is a need before committing funding.

The clerk informed the council that she is working with Tywyn Town Council, Tywyn Library and the Cinema to create a list of welcome warm spaces in the local area. 


Action: Councillors and Clerk to speak to residents to assess if there is a need for a welcoming warm space.

Action: Clerk to add to Rushlight

AGENDA ITEM 15 – Correspondence


* Transport problems in the village

Residents have reported that they have problems accessing the village as they do not drive and are unable to walk down the hill and have asked if there is something the council can do about it. It was agreed to speak to more residents to assess the need before committing funding and to suggest car- sharing.

Action: Clerk to put in Rushlight

* Picnic Island Bridge

Cllr Owen informed the council that the bridge is due to be installed overnight on 14th November. Cllr Tyrrell informed the council that he had been keeping the path along the estuary clear but that the steps from the estuary to the bridge are now very overgrown and need to be cleared. It was agreed that Cllr Tyrrell would check the path and steps, find out who is responsible and arrange for the steps to be cleared.

Action: Cllr Tyrrell to check and arrange for the steps to be cleared

* Cycle Path

Cllr Tyrrell informed the council that there has been no significant progress on the cycle path.

* Compound Project

The Clerk reported that she submitted a pre-planning application for the project and received a response that planning permission is needed before the project can proceed. Neil Storkey has spoken to the planning department and was told that another pre-planning application needs to be submitted rather than a full planning application. This is currently being done but it has delayed the project significantly and there is a danger that the EU funding stream will end before the project is finished. 

AGENDA ITEM 16 – Items for consideration at future meetings


  • Training Plan
  • Electronic noticeboard

AGENDA ITEM 17 – Items for release / Rushlight / Website / Facebook


  • Wharf update
  • Bins need to be kept on own property, not on the street
  • Conservation Area consultation


  • Car sharing suggestion 
  • Car charging points
  • Neuadd Dyfi roof
  • Picnic Island bridge 
  • Contact details of BCUHB for complaints

AGENDA ITEM 18 – Date of next meeting


Monday 21st November 2022

It was agreed to bring forward the date of the December meeting to 12th December, as the clerk is unable to attend on the 19th.

There being no further business, the Chair closed the meeting at 9.35pm