MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF ABERDYFI COMMUNITY COUNCIL HELD IN THE OFFICE IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, LITERARY INSTITUTE, ABERDYFI ON MONDAY, 17TH FEBRUARY 2020
Councillors Present :-
Cllr D Williams – Chairman
Cllr Brian Kelly
Cllr Dewi Owen
Cllr Megan Reynolds
Cllr Gareth Jones
Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis
Clr James Bradbury-Willis
Cllr Dai Owens
AGENDA ITEM 1 – APOLOGIES
Cllrs Bob Tyrrell and Mike Richards
AGENDA ITEM 2 – CHAIRMAN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS
Cllr Williams noted that, thankfully, Aberdyfi had missed the full force of Storm Dennis, but the the weather so far this winter had been very wet and windy. He expressed his concern for communities that were not so fortunate in Herefordshire and South Wales. In the circumstances the attendance at the public meeting on Thursday 13th February had been very good, numbering over sixty for the evening. There was very positive feedback and a healthy exchange of ideas.
AGENDA ITEM 3 – RECEIVE AND CONFIRM THE MINUTES OF ORDINARY MEETING 20TH JANUARY
Receive and confirm minutes of the ordinary Council meeting 20th January.
Proposed: Cllr G Jones Seconded: Cllr M Reynolds
AGENDA ITEM 4 – MATTERS ARISING
M/100 Clerk Vacancy
There are two candidates who will be interviewed in the next couple of weeks by the Clerk, Chair and Vice Chair.
M/101 Penhelig Park Events
The final letter of recommended text for the Penhelig Park events has been drafted by Cllr Tyrrell and will be forwarded to Barry Davies.
The website was shared with those who attended the public meeting and was very well received. The site is almost complete and it is hoped go live in the next few weeks, smart phone ready.
It was suggested by Cllr James Bradbury Willis that perhaps a maintenance/update package with Digital Egg might be a good idea, although the site has been designed for weekly updates or even daily updates to be carried out by the Council with regard to simple aspects such as diary information and Council minutes, agendas etc. The matter is for discussion with regard to the long term future of the project.
M/72 Storage Unit
The unit can be installed once the site has been cleared and foundations prepared. Clerk needs to liaise with Will Stockford and Cllr Owen over the installation of appropriate foundations. Geri Davies will also be asked to provide installation costings. Cllr Kelly expressed concerns regarding the possibility of flooding. The concerns were noted.
M/107 Childrens’ Playground
Lisa Gardner has confirmed that the committee is now up and running, see correspondence. Cllr Sara Bradbury Willis is on the committee and was able to update current situation. A full committee meeting has not yet been held, but advice and prices for installation were being pursued. She felt that care and prudence should be taken as costs could very easily escalate out of control. However, the project was proceeding in a positive manner. The possibility of installing adult fitness/well-being equipment was also being considered.
M/108 Picnic Island Bridge
Network Rail have confirmed that the engineering issues have been addressed and a meeting is to be held in Cardiff tomorrow, Tuesday 18th February, after which the Clerk will be updated with a view for an external meeting with all interested parties. An Aberdyfi second home owner has offered to underwrite the funding. Details to follow – the name of the individual will be kept confidential until we have received permission from the individual concerned to ‘go public’. Outward Bound have pledged £30k towards the cost, and it is understood that £50k has been pledged by Gwynedd Council.
M/117 Annual Public Meeting
The meeting last week was very successful. Cllr Owens noted that he had heard very favourable comments from the floor on the night and subsequent conversations. Cllr Owen felt that it had been a perfect opportunity to air grievances and exchange ideas.
M/121 Village Welcome Signs
The Clerk confirmed that the village welcome signs were ready and we were awaiting delivery. Geri Davies will install the signs. The Clerk informed the meeting that the suppliers Leander Architectural are to advise on a possible renovation of the shelter.
AGENDA ITEM 5 – GWYNEDD COUNCIL REPORT
Cllr Owen attended the Meirionydd Area meeting in Blaunau, which was attended by Meleri Joyce from Network Rail, who is now our local contact. She reported that the Cambrian Line had been very seriously damaged in a number of locations by the recent storms, with ballast being washed away, resulting in closures, cancellations, and disruption to services. There is also a shortage of train drivers which was causing further disruption to services. There are plans to make essential repairs to Barmouth Bridge this Autumn which is going to create even more problems.
Representatives from Gwynedd Council waste disposal department were also in attendance to outline changes to how the department is to be managed. The shift system is to change from the ‘four on four off’ as current, to a more normal 37 hour working week. It is anticipated to improve performance.
A police representative reported that crime in the area has increased marginally, specifically cyber crime and public order.
Cllr Sara Bradbury Willis expressed concern about parking on Church Street.
Cllr Reynolds asked about the sand problem in the village. Cllr Williams noted that the problem has been caused by freak winds from the storms, and the problem will remain until the weather improves.
AGENDA ITEM 6 – PLANNING
NP5/50/L497/B 9 Tai Newddion, Copperhill Street, Aberdyfi
Construction of Garage
There were no objections but Cllr David Owens observed that the intended approach to the garage was, in his opinion, very precarious. It was suggested that a site visit by the authorities might be appropriate.
AGENDA ITEM 7 – TREASURER’S REPORT
The Clerk outlined the problems with NatWest Bank inadvertently shutting down all the Council accounts, from the Aberystwyth office. The matter was sorted out but had delayed the payment of some invoices.
The Clerk indicated that there will be a surplus on the budget figures for the current financial year, and that this will offer the opportunity to transfer funds into the Business Reserve account, from the Business Current account, enabling Council to ring fence specific funds as ‘reserve funds’. An appropriate policy statement regarding its purpose will be drafted, in our case for community emergency use. The policy document will be prepared by the Clerk, for ratification at the AGM in May.
Proposed: Cllr B Kelly Seconded: Cllr D Owen
AGENDA ITEM 8 – TREE SCULPTURE
The tree sculpture project was discussed at the public meeting and the consensus view was that the idea was sound, with benefits to the village from a tourist interest point of view. There were many suggestions for subject, including osprey, seagull, ravens, dolphins and otter. It was agreed that the osprey idea would have most impact.
There was unanimous agreement to sanction the osprey carving.
AGENDA ITEM 9 – COMMITTEE REPORTS
AGENDA ITEM 10 – CORRESPONDENCE RECEIVED
Midshire Photocopiers – Advice to update software.
BT – Confirmation of public phone kiosk closures, unless the community wishes to retain.
Welsh National Sheep Trials – Request for donation from Abergynolwyn. Agreed, £50.00.
Wales Air Ambulance – Request for donation (already sorted January donation list.
Aberdovey Literary Institute – Advice of rent increase for 2020/21, in line with inflation.
Play for Wales – Play Wales news.
Sean Chambers – Mural idea for the village subway.
Dennis Twist – Email regarding EV charging points in the village.
Welsh Government – Copy of Orders regarding Dyfi Bridge.
Elaine Foot – Email seeking support for wild flower planting in the village
Gay Richardson – Suggesting a petition to emphasise the strength of feeling regarding the speed limits in the village. Also, should we consider the planning of a ‘good size’ Christmas tree on the wharf, to be decorated annually at Christmas.
Gay Richardson – Tree planning at Nantiesyn and thanks to the Community Council for all their hard work throughout the year.
Gwynedd Council – BREXIT advice for residents and businesses – web address for reference.
Lisa Gardner – Email of confirmation that the Playground Development Committee is now live.
AGENDA ITEM 11 – PUBLICATIONS
AGENDA ITEM 20 – ITEMS FOR CONSIDERATION AT FUTURE MEETINGS
Playing Field Goalposts The Clerk will attend to this matter. As per agreed with Bryn Lloyd.
Cllr Kelly pointed out that the storm drains by the Old Catholic Church were blocked. The Clerk will contact Sean Wilkes.
Cllr Owen The Clerk will seek to confirm how much the Neuadd Dyfi toilets would cost to keep open for the whole year.
Cllr Williams is still concerned about the rubbish in Nantiesyn car park.
AGENDA ITEM 21 – ITEMS FOR RUSHLIGHT
St Peter’s Church