MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF ABERDYFI COMMUNITY COUNCIL HELD IN THE OFFICE IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, LITERARY INSTITUTE, ABERDYFI ON MONDAY,
16th OCTOBER 2018
Present were Councillors:-
Cllr D Williams Chairman
J Bradbury Willis
S Bradbury Willis
AGENDA ITEM 1- APOLOGIES
Cllrs Reynolds, Richards & Tyrrell
AGENDA ITEM 2- CHAIRMAN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS
Cllr Williams noted how beneficial the good summer had played its part in the busy trade the village had experienced, and many events had been organised by volunteers in the village – many thanks to all.
Barry Davies, head of Gwynedd Maritime, has suffered injuries sustained during non- Council activities, and will be absent from his post for some weeks.
AGENDA ITEM 3 – RECEIVE AND CONFIRM MINUTES OF ORDINARY MEETING 14th JULY
It was agreed that the minutes were a true and accurate record of ordinary meeting of 18th July, after correction to correct postal name of ‘Penhelig Uchaf’ at Cllr Kelly’s request.
PROPOSED by Cllr J Bradbury-Willis and SECONDED by Cllr Kelly
AGENDA ITEM 4 – MATTERS ARISING
M/39 Affordable Housing Project
The Clerk has requested clarification from Andrew Richards regarding the name to be adopted for the proposed affordable housing on the site of the old school. It is understood that Gwynedd/CCG will be in touch and request input from the community for suggestions.
There has been no response regarding the correspondence pertaining to the pedestrian crossing installation.
M/41 Running Track
NRW have responded at last and an e-mail arrived last week from Rhiannon Cottrell who is shortly to go on maternity leave. Our new contact is Nia Watkin, Senior Conservation Officer. She has the file and Clerk will contact her and update Council accordingly.
M/55 Speeding in the Village
The matter of speeding is linked to the affordable housing project and we await any response to our written concerns. Cllr Williams noted that we were all aware of the speeding problem and had been so for some time. Cllr Tyrrell feels strongly that there should be a 20mph limit throughout the village, regardless of the current trunk road ruling that dictates the limit. Cllr Williams did note that there had been two incidents in the village this year. The clerk reminded the meeting that the concerns of the community had been lodged as part of the planning application for the old school.
There has been no response from Snowdonia to this Council’s letter of objection to the planning application for Froneithyn, but we have received a letter from Ade Architecture, in support of the application. This letter was read to Council by Cllr Williams.
M/58 Treasurer’s report
The VAT clarification matter is progressing and it is Clerk’s intention to resolve the issue in time for the next VAT reclaim/return at the end of October.
M/61 Wharf Gardens
In the context of Cllr Tyrrell’s discussion regarding the management and financing of the Wharf gardens and general planting in the village, under July Treasurer’s Report, it is understood that the matter was to be discussed at AA&I. An update on this matter by AA&I chairman Cllr Lloyd to be minuted. Cllr Lloyd confirmed that lines of demarcation between AA&I and Council matters were to be clarified. It is proposed that AA&I will for the future, be responsible for the funding of planting in the village, given the costs of Gwynedd Council continuing providing the service.
M/61 Literary Institute
Work on the Literary Institute has re-commenced and is progressing. Cllr Jones said that the new contractors were progressing well.
M/61 Saturn Communications
The Clerk discussed the matter of unsolicited e-mails with Rupert Tildesley and he pointed out that there was a facility to unsubscribe any e-mails regarding the Cambrian Sportiv, in accordance with the new data protection regulations. Cllr Kelly is still concerned about how Rupert Tildesley obtained his e-mail address.
AGENDA ITEM 5
WINTER BEDDING COSTS
Gwynedd Council have indicated significant increases in cost in the pipeline as indicated below:-
2017 £2695.00 +VAT
2018 £3400.00 +VAT
Summer bedding is still to date being funded by Gwynedd. Cllr Owen understands that this arrangement will not continue for next year, which will represent a significant cost burden on the precept.
Cllr Lloyd suggested that Cllr Tyrrell’s working party might present some proposals to AA&I for consideration, in time for next February’s AA&I meeting.
Should we continue funding this in its current agreement? Clive Jones from Gwynedd needs confirmation, one way or the other, immediately following this meeting. Outcome to be voted on.
Cllr Kelly suggested that we continue as usual for this year to allow time to plan forward.
Alternatively, do no planting for this winter, let it lie fallow and plan accordingly. Cllr Williams suggested that time should be taken to plan for the long term.
Cllr Tyrrell outlined that the advice he had been given was that the annual planting of annuals was very costly and wasteful. Also, there are very few plants that will survive and thrive in the harsh conditions on the wharf. After discussions with David Richardson, Cllr Tyrrell approached Andy Cook, who lives locally, and studied garden design at Falmouth. The issues are will plants survive and how the project will be maintained, and the need for a plumbed water supply. He was not in favour of funding winter bedding. Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis suggested that there are probably many people in the village who might be interested in lending a hand.
Cllr Lloyd suggested that the matter should be on the agenda for the annual public meeting in November, and that we should not fund this winter’s planting. Cllr Richards asked whether the North Wales Garden Society might assist. Cllr Williams felt that nothing should be planned until after the public discussion. He also noted that some form of architectural or sculptured installations could be considered. The Clerk suggested that other councils will have the same problem and lessons could be learned accordingly.
It was proposed that the winter bedding planting should be cancelled for this year and that the matter will be discussed at the November meeting, and that Gwynedd should be asked to remover the summer bedding .
Proposed Cllr Lloyd Seconded Cllr Jones
AGENDA ITEM 6
In line with instructions from the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales, this Council must remunerate its Members/Councillors, (elected and co-opted) £150.00 per annum. All payments must also be made through HMRC PAYE system (already registered by this Council, for Clerk’s remuneration) for the deduction of due tax.
Each individual on Council can decide to decline any such payment, and must do so in writing to the Clerk, in time for the return which will need to be completed by 30th September. There are also implications for Committee Chairs and the Council Chairman.
Update from recent SLCC Conference attended by Cllr Lloyd and the Clerk, Llandudno, September 5th.
Any costs resulting from this decision by the Remuneration Committee will be covered by an increase in the Precept, or costcutting.
Each councillor must make their decision individually and act accordingly as to whether they wish to decline remuneration.
Cllr Lloyd confirmed that the panel meets each year and that under the groupings outlined below, Town and Community Council in Wales must comply with remuneration payments as indicated.
Community/Town Group Income or Expenditure in 2018-19
A £200,000 and above
B £30,000 – £199,000
C below £30,000
This potential cost is not budgeted for this year.
The Clerk is to send appropriate e-mails to all Councillors who will respond accordingly.
AGENDA ITEM 7 – GWYNEDD COUNCIL REPORT
Cllr Owen had nothing to report after the summer recess.
However, Cllr Jones asked why Gwynedd were repairing the holes, again, outside the Neuad Dyfi, when the cause of the subsidence had still not been identified.
Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis asked whether the road markings at the bottom of Copperhill Street were to be repaired. The Clerk confirmed that Gwynedd highways were aware.
AGENDA ITEM 8 – PLANNING
NP5/50/726 Manora, Rhoslan, Aberdyfi
Erection of garage and sundeck
AGENDA ITEM 9 – TREASURER’S REPORT
The Treasurer’s report for July was accepted and minuted as a true record.
The matter of storage for village assets was briefly discussed. Cllr Jones suggested that the Maesnewydd garages might offer an opportunity.
Cllr Williams suggested that there might be opportunities at the Literary Institute.
PROPOSED by Cllr Lloyd SECONDED by Cllr Reynolds
AGENDA ITEM 10 – COMMITTEE REPORTS
AGENDA ITEM 11 – CORRESPONDENCE
Kathleen Innes Concern over the state of the ‘Red Warning Flag’ at Pont y Bric. Cllr Richards noted that there are concrete blocks near this location. Clerk will check and update at next Council meeting.
Shan Lloyd Williams Annual report and introduction letter from new
Grwp Cynefin CEO, Shan Lloyd Williams
BDO e-mail request for further audit information
Gwynedd Council Gull information leaflet for the summer season
Network Rail Penhelig Station – new staircase installation
Snowdonia Nat. Park Tuesday 2nd October, 6.30pm, Town and Community Councils evening – Neuadd Dyfi
Canine Partners Thank you letter – Food Festival
Gwynedd Council Highways Overhanging Trees – Running Track
Gwynedd Council Highways Salt bins information
Snowdonia Nat. Park Eryri Local Development Plan. Representations invited.
Gwynedd Council Planning feedback request. Redundant communication as we fall under Snowdonia Planning Authority
Keep Wales Tidy E-mail regarding Aberdyfi beach cleaning situation. Clerk updated by e-mail outlining the initiatives engaged in this summer.
First Aid Course Penegroes, 8th November. Anyone interested?
Community Chest Grants available through Gwynedd
AGENDA ITEM 12 – PUBLICATIONS
The Clerk Magazine
Clerks & Councils Direct
AGENDA ITEM 13 – ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Cllr Richards – Gwelfor Road
Cllr Richards noted that the Gwelfor Road roadsign has been partially uprooted. Clerk will check with highways.
Cllr Richards also noted that the overflowing dog poo bins at Pont y Brics still pose a problem, but he did concede that the bins are being emptied. An extra bin is required.
Cllr Richards is also concerned about the access to the beach in the area by the car park – a maritime responsibility.
Cllr Reynolds – Website
Cllr Reynolds asked for an update on the Council website. The Clerk confirmed that he was now working with Cllr Lloyd on the project and an update will be provided at the next council meeting.
Cllr Lloyd – Fireworks
Cllr Lloyd asked that a letter of thanks to be sent to the Food Festival team.
Also, at this moment in time there are no fireworks planned for November 5th, but New Year’s Eve fireworks will be going ahead.
Cllr Tyrrell – Penhelyg Park Events
Cllr Tyrrell declared an interest in this matter, with Penhelyg Terrace his residential address.
A wedding party had been held on Penhelyg Park, one of he believes three this year. The event had created a noise/amplified music nuisance that had gone on into the early hours. The residents felt that the process needed better policing/management to avoid a recurrence. One of the main issues was how to restrict the hours of alcohol consumption.
Gwynedd Maritime had three events booked already for 2019.
Cllr Williams observed that ACC had no direct responsibility for the management of the Penhelyg Park, but ACC could offer observations.
Cllr Owen felt that the Community Council must take some responsibility for trying to ensure that this sort of event is better managed.
Cllr Lloyd took the opportunity to clarify some elements of how the event was run and the timings of the bar hours, contrary to some of the reports.
Cllr Tyrrell felt that the venue was perfect for weddings, but not late night parties. Cllr Williams recommended that a meeting should be organised with Gwynedd Maritime to try and prepare written guidelines. Cllr Owen will act as the conduit to communicate with Gwynedd.
Cllr Richards also felt that the use of fireworks at private parties should be policed and that residents must be advised in advance as some older people, and dogs in general, need to be prepared for the loud bangs.
Cllr Jones – Estuary
Cllr has been concerned at the number of people attempting to walk across the estuary at low water. The dangers of this practice are self-evident.
Cllr Bradbury-Willis – Chapel Square
Cllr Bradbury-Willis asked whether signage could installed to help direct visitors to Chapel Square to help boost retail businesses on the Square.
Cllr Kelly – Railway bridge sign
Cllr Kelly has noted that a sign has become dislodged at the railway bridge by the playground and that a cable is now dangling. The Clerk will liaise with Highways to address the matter.
ITEM 14 ITEMS FOR RUSHLIGHT
ITEMS FOR PRESS RELEASE
Community Chest Grants
Housing names suggestions
Public meeting November 8th, Neuadd Dyfi (toilets, housing, precept)
Thanks to everyone involved with plant watering
Litter update and thanks
The meeting closed at 9.45