Select Page

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held at the Literary Institute on Monday 20th June 2022

Present: Cllr Brian Kelly – Chair


Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Mark Dunton

Cllr Ian Hewins

Cllr Catrin O’Neill

Cllr Dewi Owen

Cllr Megan Reynolds

Cllr Bob Tyrrell

Cllr Dave Williams

Public: Pat Hellen

Sadie Porter

Elen Worman

AGENDA ITEM 1 – Apologies


Cllr Jones

AGENDA ITEM 2 – Public participation


No public participation

AGENDA ITEM 3 – Chairman’s Announcements


The Chair welcomed everyone and reported that it was good to see the return of the Wolverhampton Bike Ride which was very successful and it is nice to see progress on some of the projects the Council are currently undertaking.

AGENDA ITEM 4 – To consider applications for councillor vacancy


Sadie Porter was co-opted as Councillor

AGENDA ITEM 4 – To receive and confirm minutes of the Annual and ordinary council meetings 16thMay 2022


Proposed: Cllr Tyrrell Seconded: Cllr Williams

AGENDA ITEM 5 – Matters arising


Page 4

M/51/(15.06.20) request for drinking water fountain.

Cllr O’Neill has contacted Refill to request an up to date quote and information on how to move to project forward.

Action: Cllr O’Neill to liaise with clerk to progress the project

M/107/(16.11.20) Subway improvements

Work has started and looks very good so far. It is nice to see Sean’s children being involved in the project as well. 


M/127/(20.12.21) Tree by the Neuadd Dyfi

The clerk has has no news on the large tree on the road by the Neuadd Dyfi

The tree sculpture was completed last week and has been a major attraction to many people, who have stopped to look at it and take photos with it. The Council would like to thank Ed Parkes the sculptor for his fantastic work.

It was suggested lighting the sculpture, but there were concerns this might act as a magnet for people to gather at night and this would have a knock-on effect on the residents in surrounding houses. It was agreed to wait until the autumn when it is much darker and investigate what lighting it would look like with a torch. 

It was suggested buying some CCTV cameras for the area, but it was felt that the infrastructure wasn’t in place for this. It was agreed to obtain some CCTV signs and attach them to the gates around the playing field.

Proposed: Cllr Williams Seconded: Cllr Owen

Action: Clerk to obtain and install CCTV signs.

M/160/21.03.22 Wharf Development Project

The Clerk reported that instead of a public meeting, Gwynedd Council propose a monthly meeting of all stakeholders on the first Friday of every month, starting on 1st July. It was agreed the clerk would attend these meetings and report back. It was requested that the Community Council holds a public meeting closer to the start of the works and invite the consultants to attend.

Action: Clerk to attend meetings and report back.

Action: Council to organise a public meeting and invite consultants

AGENDA ITEM 7 – Treasurer’s Report


Proposed: Cllr O’Neill Seconded: Cllr Owen

Unanimously agreed

The clerk reported that she had been approached by one of the businesses in the village to find out if there is still money ring-fenced for the Aberdyfi Tourism group, as they have a project in mind. The clerk asked them liaise with her to release the money.

Action: Clerk to liaise with Aberdyfi Tourism group

AGENDA ITEM 8 – To approve change of signatories on the bank account


Proposed: Cllr Reynolds Seconded: Cllr Owen

Unanimously agreed

AGENDA ITEM 9 – To accept and approve the Annual Return ending March 2022


Proposed: Cllr Williams Seconded: Cllr Tyrrell

Unanimously agreed

A concern was raised about the asset register as it doesn’t show depreciation but the clerk reported that the advice from One Voice Wales is that the register only shows purchase price. It was suggested that the finance committee to look into this, as figures that take into account depreciation may prove to be useful for the council. 

Action: Finance committee to discuss asset register reserve finances

Action: Clerk to clarify again what the asset register should include


AGENDA ITEM 10 – Gwynedd Council Report


Cllr Owen reported that there is a meeting of the full council later this week, so will rpeort next month on this meeting.

He reported that they have had information recently stating that homelessness has risen dramatically in the last few years. Currently there are 572 people registered homeless, whereas 2 years ago there were less than 200. There are currently over 3,000 people on the waiting list for housing in Gwynedd and Gwynedd Council plan to built 500 homes in the next 3 years, the majority of which will probably be in North Wales. He reported that Gwynedd Council are still giving grants of up to £35k to bring houses up to standard to allow them to be let out to local people. 

He reported that the problem of rubbish is on the agenda for the full meeting so he will be expressing the concerns of the Community Council at that meeting and will report back on this issue next month. 

AGENDA ITEM 11 – Planning


NP5/50/589B Ael y Don, Gwelfor Road, Aberdyfi LL35 0NY

Widen existing vehicular access to South East corner of site and create a parking area.

No objections were raised

AGENDA ITEM 12 – To discuss use of village noticeboard


The wooden noticeboard by the toilets was discussed and it was agreed that the locks need to be changed as they have seized. It was suggested that the large noticeboard under the canopy also needs to be replaced as it is a state of disrepair and to investigate purchasing an electronic noticeboard.

Action: Clerk to research electronic noticeboards

Action: Cllr Bradbury-Willis to arrange for locks to be changed on the wooden noticeboard.

Proposed: Cllr Bradbury-Willis Seconded: Cllr Reynolds

AGENDA ITEM 13 – To decide topics to be included in community meeting


Topics were agreed for inclusion in the community village meeting 

AGENDA ITEM 14 – Correspondence


Time & Tide Bell 

Marcus Vergette has repaired the Time & Tide Bell and has informed the council that there are many projects resulting from the Time & Tide Bell initiative, which would potentially be of interest to various groups in the village

Action: Clerk to find out more about the projects

AGENDA ITEM 15 – Items for consideration at future meetings


  • Place Plan
  • Swift nesting boxes (Autumn meeting)
  • Paint flaking at Penhelig Rail station


AGENDA ITEM 16 – Items for release / Rushlight / website / Facebook


  • Shellduck warning
  • Report of village meeting
  • Osprey sculpture
  • Subway project progress

AGENDA ITEM 17 – Date of next meeting


Monday18th July 2022 at 7pm

There being no further business the meeting was closed by the Chair at 9.40pm