MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF ABERDYFI COMMUNITY COUNCIL HELD IN THE OFFICE IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, LITERARY INSTITUTE, ABERDYFI ON MONDAY,
19th FEBRUARY 2018
Present were :- Cllr D Williams Vice Chairman
Councillors :- G Jones
AGENDA ITEM 1 – APOLOGIES
Apologies received from Cllrs Lloyd, Pugh, O’Reilly and Bradbury-Willis
AGENDA ITEM 2 – CHAIRMAN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS
Vice Chairman Cllr Williams informed the meeting of Cllr Pugh’s decision to resign from Council with immediate effect, due to commitments which would prevent his attending Monday night meetings. The Clerk is to write to Gareth to thank him for valuable contribution to Council over last seven or eight years, particularly his Chairmanship for the two years up to 2016.
Cllr O’Reilly has also expressed her concern that, with her media commitments in London, she would be unable to attend many Council meetings over the coming months. Council agreed that she had already proved an asset on Council and that her circumstances would be reviewed in that context. The Chairman would address the matter of potential vacancies at March’s meeting. At this juncture, the Clerk outlined the processes for filling Council vacancies.
Cllr Jones suggested that Cllr O’Reilly had made a significant contribution to date and that perhaps she may be encouraged to stay.
The process of co-option/election timeline will be confirmed by the Clerk.
AGENDA ITEM 3 – RECEIVE AND CONFIRM MINUTES OF ORDINARY MEETING 15th JANUARY
It was agreed that the minutes were a true and accurate record of the ordinary meeting.
PROPOSED by Cllr Jones and SECONDED by Cllr Tyrrell
AGENDA ITEM 4 – MATTERS ARISING
CL/131 Penhelyg Parc shelter.
Cllr Lloyd asked the Harbourmaster at last meeting to remind Barry Davies of his promise to research the matter of Penhelig Parc Shelter renovation. No response as yet from Barry Davies, but Cllr Owen was aware that he had briefed Gwynedd property department to prepare a report and a plan for renovation. He asked the Clerk to enquire of Barry Davies how the project was progressing.
The precept application of 31,510.00 has been submitted by the Clerk to Wales Audit Office
CL/136 Internal audit
The Clerk still requires two councillors from Finance Committee to carry out the internal review of the audit. This will be addressed week commencing 26th February
Cheques have been forwarded to all parties, apart from the Urdd, Clerk still trying ascertain to whom the cheque should be sent.
CL/139 Commercial bins
The possible relocation of the commercial bins by Gwynedd Council was published in Rushlight, asking for comments from the community. A joint letter expressing concerns was received from Dr Alun Stedman, Bob & Wendy Usher, Helen Rickard (Balance), Ian Hughes (Costcutter) and Gill Miranda (Nandora’s) A letter was sent from the Clerk to Dr Stedman suggesting a meeting at the Council office to discuss the issue. A response has been received – see correspondence. Cllr Jones expressed some sympathy with the reservations. The idea of moving the bins behind the wall from where they are now is problematical because that part of the wharf is leased to Outward Bound, and any obstruction would not be acceptable, as pointed out by Cllr Owen. Cllr Williams suggested that a meeting be set up, in line with the objectors’ suggestion, to discuss the matter further.
CL/144 Crag y Lanch.
The clerk has received a phone one call from the Welsh timber specialist for Bill Lister’s Craig y Lanch project requesting the opportunity discuss the project with all Councillors at a council meeting, or in the council office to a smaller number. It was proposed that perhaps it was prudent to wait until at least until provisional planning application was in place. There was unanimous approval of this proposition and the Clerk is to advise Bill Lister accordingly.
AGENDA ITEM 5 – GWYNEDD COUNCIL REPORT
Cllr Owen informed the meeting that Welsh Government is awarding funds to support the North Wales economy. One of the areas for support will be businesses within the A55 corridor, which would be unlikely to benefit Meirionydd. Cllr Owen brought up this point at a recent meeting in Caernarfon. The point was acknowledged and an open meeting is set for some time later this year, in Dolgellau.
Cllr Jones asked whether there were plans to carry out any maintenance on the main car park. Cllr Owen confirmed that new white lines would be applied, after the park had been cleaned up. Cllr Tyrrell observed that too much time was expended by this community council nagging Gwynedd Council to do the things that they be getting on with as a matter of course. He felt that the concept of maintenance seemed alien to Gwynedd and was counter-productive. Cllr Owen agreed in principal and that the only way to get things done was to keep the pressure on a local, community council, level.
Cllr Tyrrell felt that there was scope for benefitting from organising village volunteers, for example the painting of the railings at Nantiesin. It was pointed out by Cllr Williams that there were insurance and health & safety issues which had to be taken into account, and that this council should keep maintaining the pressure on Gwynedd.
AGENDA ITEM 6 – PLANNING
NP5/70/133E 1 Bodfor Terrace, Aberdyfi
Change of use from guest house to dwelling
AGENDA ITEM 7 – TREASURERS REPORT
Proposed Cllr Kelly Seconded Cllr Reynolds
AGENDA ITEM 8 – RUNNING TRACK
Cllr Richards had requested for this agenda item in order to present to Council a report he had prepared, outlining a proposal for consideration regarding the future of the old running track on the Tywyn Road.
He presented a comprehensive and thorough analysis of the development possibilities, outlining the potential benefits of creating a stopover point for motorhomes, such as direct, rental revenue, and indirect through local shops, pubs and restaurants.
The report covered the following points of reference_
- Growth of the UK motorhome market
- Direct and indirect economic benefits to the village
- Short description of the facilities required onsite
- Example of direct income obtainable
- Letters of endorsement available
- Context of project development
- Plan of Action
- The Plan
After general discussion by Council it was agreed that the following actions should be initiated and the Clerk be delegated to undertake these and report back to Council at the next meeting:
- Liaise with Dr Libby Andrews for her opinion on the environmental impact of the project
- Obtain written approval from NRW to cut back the vegetation on the land before the nesting season
- Instruct a Chartered Surveyor to carry out a survey of the land to include a report on the land’s boundary dimensions and the location of nearby underground services
Cllr Williams felt that as the land was under the ownership of the community, it was important that the village be consulted at an early stage, probably through a public meeting. Cllr Jones agreed that the site required management as a village asset, and in his view the current condition of the area constituted a fire risk in the event of a hot dry spell.
Proposed Cllr. Gareth Jones Seconded Cllr Megan Reynolds
The proposal was passed unanimously by Council A copy of Cllr Richards proposal, in detail, is attached to these minutes as a matter of record.
AGENDA ITEM 9 – COMMITTEE REPORTS
No committee reports
AGENDA ITEM 10 – CORRESPONDENCE
Snowdonia National Park Letter to advise of revised Eryri Local development Plan
Gwynedd Council Letter to advise of next Harbour Consultative Committee – Thursday 22nd March
Dail Dysynni Thank you letter for donation of 50.00
Gwynedd & Anglesey Latest copy of the Well Being Plan 2017
Dr Libby Andrews Letter outlining some ideas to make use of our ‘conservation’ areas around the village
Gwynedd Council, Clive Jones e-mail confirming Morfa Gypsies grass cutting costs
Literary Institute To advise of new Office rent from 1st April 2018
Ten weekly instalments of 122.93 (up from 120.06)
Residents for Seaview Terrace Objecting to proposed commercial bin locations (see earlier note under ‘matters arising’)
One Voice Wales Notification of Meirionydd Area Committee meeting on 20th February
One Voice Wales Membership renewal notice
Cllr Pugh Letter of resignation from Council
AGENDA ITEM 11 – PUBLICATIONS
AGENDA ITEM 12 – ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Cllr Bradbury-Willis Cllr Bradbury-Willis asked, via e-mail, if the flooding culvert on Copperhill St has been cleared. Clerk advised that Sion Wilkes, Highways Inspector, is aware and Gwynedd is now arguing with Dwr Cymru about whose responsibility it is. Cllr Owen confirmed this situation.
Cllr Jones Cllr Jones had asked the Clerk of the mud on the Neuadd Dyfi car park could be cleared. The Clerk reported that he had the matter in hand.
Cllr Kelly Cllr Kelly outlined the implications, to this Council, of the Data Protection Act. New regulations will be in place from March 28th, and every public body must have in place a data protection officer. In the case of ACC it is mainly a paperwork exercise, but it will impact ACC is in the context of the village CCTV.
All access to council records will be strictly controlled. Cllr Kelly indicated his willingness to take the role of ACC data Protection Officer. It was agreed unanimously by Council that Cllr Kelly assume this position forthwith.
Cllr Jones Cllr Jones noted that the tag on the pedestrian underpass needed to be removed. Clerk to contact Louis Hyatt.
Cllr Richards Cllr Richards noted a concern from a resident regarding the 30mph limit on the Tywyn Road and will be writing to the police. It was noted that the road was currently a ‘live’ site with a view to future action.
Cllr Reynolds Cllr Reynolds expressed concern about the dog poo situation at cemetery car park. Cllr Tyrrell was able to confirm that Gwynedd Streetscene are to install a new bin at this location.
Cllr Kelly Cllr Kelly informed the meeting that the village had been asked by the Royal Horticultural Society to consider entering a village competition. It was felt that the idea should be addressed for next year and Cllr Kelly will source appropriate paperwork.
AGENDA ITEM 13 – ITEMS FOR RUSHLIGHT
- Running Track idea
- Panto thank you
- Cllr Pugh resignation
The meeting closed at 21.35