Select Page

Minutes of the ordinary meeting of Aberdyfi Community Council held at the Literary Institute on Monday 16th January 2023

Present: Cllr Brian Kelly – Chair


Cllr Sara Bradbury-Willis

Cllr Mark Dunton

Cllr Ian Hewins

Cllr Catrin O’Neill

Cllr Dewi Owen

Cllr Sadie Porter

Cllr Megan Reynolds

Cllr Dave Williams

Public: Pat Hellen

AGENDA ITEM 1 – Apologies


Apologies accepted from Cllrs Jones and Tyrrell.

AGENDA ITEM 2 – Public participation


No public participation

AGENDA ITEM 3 – Chair announcements


The Chair welcomed everyone and informed the council that the clerk will be starting medical treatment very soon so has not attended this meeting. Instead, Cllr O’Neill will be taking the minutes. 

The council have received very positive feedback from a number of sources saying how good the New Year fireworks were, though the evening was marred by a group of individuals being disruptive, which is currently being investigated by the police. 

AGENDA ITEM 4 – To receive and confirm minutes of the ordinary council meeting on 21stNovember 2022.


Proposed: Cllr Bradbury-Willis  Seconded: Cllr Reynolds

Unanimously agreed

AGENDA ITEM 5 – Matters arising


Page 35

M/46/(18.06.22) Tywyn Health Centre

No-one has come forward to volunteer to represent Aberdyfi Community Council on the Tywyn Health Centre Public Participation Group.

M/84/(17.10.22) Cycle Path

Iwan ap Trefor has confirmed he is still responsible for the cycle path project.


Page 37

M/115/(12.12.22) Correspondence

New Year’s day 5k fun run / walk / crawl

A very successful event was held with 75 people taking part and the yacht club providing refreshments afterwards (for donations). Over £750 was raised for the Playground project and the organisers hope to run it as an annual event. 

Action: Clerk to write to organisers to thank them.

AGENDA ITEM 6 – Treasurer’s report


Proposed: Cllr Williams  Seconded: Cllr Owen

Unanimously agreed

AGENDA ITEM 7 – Gwynedd Council report


Cllr Owen reported that Gwynedd Council anticipates a deficit of £20million so community and town councils may well be expected to contribute more to services. 

He also reported that Network Rail will be cutting back the vegetation between Nant y Glo and the village sometime in the next month. 

AGENDA ITEM 8 – Planning


Applications received:

NP5/50/439A Ty Carreg, Aberdyfi, LL35 0LE

Official amended plans to previous application

No objections were raised.

NP5/50/744 Compound near the boat yard, Penrhos, Aberdyfi

Formation of 12m x 12m hardstanding with power and water supply.

Aberdyfi Community Council unable to comment on application as the council is the applicant. No outside objections have been received.

AGENDA ITEM 9 – To approve precept for 2023-24


It was agreed to increase the precept by 10% to £42,315.24, giving a Band D tax rate of £35.38, an increase of £0.27 from £35.11 last year. 

Proposed: Cllr Owen Seconded: Cllr Hewins

Agreed unanimously

AGENDA ITEM 10 – To discuss proposals for 20mph limit in Aberdyfi


No objections were raised to the proposals.

Action: Clerk to respond to the consultation

AGENDA ITEM 11 – To agree amounts to be donated to other organisations



It was agreed to donate £100 each to the National Eisteddfod, Wales Air Ambulance and Dail Dysynni.

Action: clerk to arrange payments

AGENDA ITEM 12 – Correspondence


  • Email from Andrew Gregson regarding residents parking.

The email confirmed that any application for residents parking must come from the Community Council or Local County Councillor with the support of the Community Council.

  • Email regarding sponsored walk event planned for 29th April

This is being organised by one of the local pubs

  • Email regarding a public meeting about local health provision on 16th February with Mabon ap Gwynfor. 

Action: Clerk to advertise meeting

  • Wharf development

It was asked if the wooden mooring bollards are being replaced on the wharf.

The contractors have employed local tradesmen and it was felt this needed to be acknowledged

Action: Clerk to write to contractors to thank them for employing residents and to ask them about the mooring bollards.

AGENDA ITEM 13 – Items for consideration at future meetings


  • Consider adding a card payment option to Pay & Display machine
  • Training dates
  • Review last 12 months of Council actions 
  • Consider if Rushlight should be bilingual

AGENDA ITEM 14 – Items for release / Rushlight / Website / Facebook


  • 5k fun run
  • Blood donor service 20th Feb and 20th March have been cancelled.
  • Aberdyfi Bike Ride will be on 16th June – 30th anniversary
  • Sgwrs a panad
  • Tree planting on 14th January 
  • Panto

AGENDA ITEM 15 – Date of next meeting


Monday 20th February 2023

There being no further business, the Chair closed the meeting at 8.40pm