MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF ABERDYFI COMMUNITY COUNCIL HELD IN THE OFFICE IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, LITERARY INSTITUTE, ABERDYFI ON MONDAY,
25th SEPTEMBER 2017
Present were :- Cllr B Lloyd Chairman
Councillors :- J Bradbury Willis
AGENDA ITEM 1- APOLOGIES
Apologies received from Cllrs Reynolds & Jones
AGENDA ITEM 2- GUEST SPEAKER, LYN CADWALLADER
CEO ONE VOICE WALES
The Chairman Cllr Bryn Lloyd welcomed Lyn Cadwallader, CEO of One Voice Wales as guest speaker.
Mr Cadwallader outlined to Council the objectives and ambitions for One Voice Wales, and its membership, which comprise 82% of all councils across Wales. One of its prime activities is the organisation and promotion of training courses, of which there have been 1000 units since May this year. One Voice Wales is part of the Partnership Council, which also comprises Snowdonia National Park, Police forces, and Health authorities.
The provision of health services is an increasing cost to councils, up from 38% of overall budget to 56% in recent years.
One Voice Wales also works closely with the Wales Audit Office and has advised on the community asset transfer programme. It is also in ongoing discussions with the Audit Office regarding the problems councils have experienced with the external audit and the manner in which BDO has been conducting the audit over the last two financial years, since they were appointed.
It was suggested that this Council check the opportunities presented by the Carnegie Trust.
The importance of operating an effective website, adding value to the legal minimum required by law, was emphasised.
Responding to a question from Cllr Tyrrell, Mr Cadwallader said that the perceived problem of proportionality with regard to the external audit was not for discussion, and that the imposition of the existing ‘blanket approach’ was not going to alter.
Cllr Owen congratulated Mr Cadwallader for the work of One Voice Wales.
AGENDA ITEM 3 – CHAIRMAN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS
Cllr Lloyd observed that the poor weather this summer season had impacted badly on trade in the village, but congratulated and thanked the organisers of the 3rd Aberdyfi Food Festival and the Bank Holiday Dovey Fest. Cllr Bradbury-Willis, who, with Lucy Cave had organised the Dovey Fest, expressed his appreciation and thanks for all the community volunteers who had played such an important role in the event’s success.
Cllr Lloyd noted that the Neuadd Dyfi car park revenues were down on last year, partly because of the weather but also because of delays in getting the coin validator updated to accommodate the new £1.00 coins.
AGENDA ITEM 4 – RECEIVE AND CONFIRM AMENDED MINUTES OF ORDINARY MEETING 13th JULY
It was agreed that the minutes were a true and accurate record of the ordinary meeting.
PROPOSED by Cllr Kelly and SECONDED by Cllr O’Reilly
AGENDA ITEM 5 – MATTERS ARISING
- CL/153/16.05.17 Car park and playing field leases
The Clerk has received a response from Peter Brunton solicitor and will be discussing the proposed amendments with Cllr Richards before returning them to Gwynedd Property Services.
- CL/44/16.05.17 CCTV
The Chairman noted that the new CCTV installation is now operational and that the digital technology represented a marked improvement on the old analogue system.
- CL/32/16.05.17 Grass cutting
Ongoing matter – but we do now appear to have a local highways inspector, Sean Wilkes who seems much more pro-active and interested in the village than we have experienced in the past. He is now back from paternity leave and the clerk is going to meet to discuss a number of matters around the village. Cllr Owen asked the Clerk to talk to Mr Wilkes about the encroachment of large hedges in the village onto the main highways. In response to a question from Cllr Tyrrell, it was confirmed that the responsibility of the landowner to keep the growth cut, and the responsibility of Gwynedd Highways to enforce appropriate action. Cllr Owen suggested that it might be appropriate for this Council perhaps to assist in providing, if at all possible, Highways with contact details for each offending property.
Cllr Bradbury-Willis noted that there was a problem on the main road out of the village with uncut growth encroaching onto the pavement, just after the bend by Nantiesin. Cllr Owen suggested that perhaps Councillors provide the Clerk with details of landowners that may be aware of who are offenders. These details can then be forwarded to Mr Wilkes.
- CL/71/(19.09.16) Public toilets
The car park toilet funding contract amendments, as agreed with this Council, had been forwarded to Gwynedd. They have rejected our amendments as per an e-mail which had been circulated to all Aberdyfi Councillors.
Cllr Tyrrell, instrumental in re-drafting the agreement, agreed that the original contract wording had been considerably, but also reasonably, modified by this Council, seeking best to provide factual confirmation of actions to be taken, in the best interests of the community this Council represents. Cllr Pugh felt that if we were to enter into such an agreement, then Gwynedd were surely duty bound to provide an appropriate service. Cllr Owen felt that Gwynedd had no real interest in managing our toilets effectively, and certainly no interest in a capital investment programme. He felt that the ball should be placed firmly in Gwynedd’s court.
Cllr Williams agreed that Gwynedd’s standpoint was out of order and that he agreed that the Council should stand firm and that an appropriate, long term, level of commitment with regard to service, maintenance and decoration on the part of Gwynedd Council, as set out in our amends should be regarded a minimum expectation.
Cllr Tyrrell also pointed out that a cursory rejection of our proposal, without recourse to a considered response was totally out of order.
It was agreed unanimously that the Clerk should write, in no uncertain terms, rejecting Gwynedd Council’s stand on this matter.
The Clerk said he would draft a carefully considered response
- CL58/17.07.17 Cyclepath funding application
See agenda item 8. Clerk to update
- CL/67/(17.07.16) Speeding
Cllr Richards expressed his ongoing concerns over the problem of speeding vehicles in the vicinity of the post office and Morfa Gypsies. Cllr O’Reilly noted that she had spoken with Gwynedd and the police about the matter. Iwan ap Trevor from Gwynedd had suggested that without a traffic measuring exercise, nothing would happen. PCSO Meirion Jones had confirmed that the police had conducted speed traps and would continue to do so, funds allowing. Go Safe were to be contacted regarding this matter and to see how they might be able to help.
Cllr Williams suggested an official letter of request for traffic measurement be conducted without delay. Clerk to draft the letter.
AGENDA ITEM 6
Cllr Owen was dismayed that the amended plans, as provided by the engineering contractor still did not take note of the widely publicised joint concerns of the communities of Aberdyfi, Tywyn and Pennal with regard to the lack of consideration to install a traffic island in place of the ‘T’ junction as currently drafted. He asked all Councillors to attend the upcoming open exhibition of the final draft plans to be held at the Plas in Machynlleth and voice this community’s concerns. The date to be confirmed by the Clerk. Cllr Owen informed the meeting that a vehicle priority system was also to be installed on the road by the Dyfi bridge Cottages, which would create a significant ‘pinchpoint’ and hinder the free flow of vehicles, especially in the tourist season.
Cllr Lloyd felt that a letter should be sent, after attending the Plas exhibition, supporting the installation of a traffic island, in the interests of road safety, and in the context of the road deaths on the Dolgellau by-pass. Cllr Owen pointed out that any delay might delay or even cancel the project. Cllr Lloyd felt that road safety and roundabout was the major consideration and that a letter should be drafted.
AGENDA ITEM 7
CL/76/25.09.17 ABERDYFI CAR PARK
See above minute CL/71
AGENDA ITEM 8
CL/77/25.09.17 CYCLEPATH FUNDING APPLICATION
The Clerk attended the recent Tywyn cycle route meeting at the library in Tywyn which had been very well attended, much to the surprise of the Gwynedd Council organisers. It was hoped that the initiative might have new life injected in the context of such strong public support.
Specifically however, Aberdyfi’s application for its own amenity cyclepath was still ongoing, and the latest development was a request from the Welsh Government funders, via Visit Wales, for a full cash flow projection and timeline for the complete project. This has been forwarded and we now await the result of our endeavours.
After discussions with the Welsh Government Planning Protectorate, it became apparent that there would be no problems to obtain permission to access the common land part of the route, under Section 38, a process which could be completed in 6 months. Cllr Lloyd did point out that the project would require match funding of 20%.
AGENDA ITEM 9 – COMMUNITY COUNCIL WEBSITE
The Clerk informed Council that the existing web site was not now up to the standard required by Welsh Government and that there was no choice regarding the creation of an all new site. The web address aberdyfi.gov.uk is currently available. The clerk will work with Cllr O’Reilly in preparing appropriate copy.
The Clerk had discussed with Cllr Bradbury-Willis his input concerning web technical issues and also getting the council ‘up and running’ with regard to social media. Cllr Lloyd noted that there were communication shortcomings within the village that a dedicated council website could successfully address.
Cllr Kelly said that his partner’s daughter had found it difficult to find information on village events. Cllr Bradbury-Willis felt that another web site promoting events was probably unnecessary and Cllr O’Reilly pointed out, as did Cllr Kelly, that there was no choice in the matter as required by law.
There was consensus that social media developments would be very advantageous.
Cllr Tyrrell observed that ‘what’s on’ aspects could be addressed very easily
AGENDA ITEM 10 – GWYNEDD COUNCIL REPORT
Cllr Owen had nothing to report this month.
AGENDA ITEM 11 – PLANNING
NP5/50/109F Neuadd Dyfi, Aberdyfi
Installation of air handling unit
NP5/50/532E Tourist Information Centre, Aberdyfi
Alterations to previously approved application (11/03/160,
to include installation of new door, window and disabled ramp on NW elevation, replace bi-fold door with window on SE elevation and installation of door on NE elevation
NP5/50/363D Aberdovey Lodge Park, Aberdyfi
Erection of equipment store
NP5/50/LB63C Leadenhall, 19 Sea View Terrace, Aberdyfi
Listed building consent for demolition of rear extension because of dangerous condition
NP5/50/LB63D Leadenhall, 19 Sea View Terrace, Aberdyfi
Variation of existing consent NP5/50/LB63A to include rebuilding of rear extension
NP5/50/LB63E Leadenhall, 19 Sea View Terrace, Aberdyfi
Variation of existing consent NP5/50/LB63B to include rebuilding of rear extension
NP5/50/LB171A Tafolgraig, Aberdyfi
Listed building consent to demolish single storey extension and rebuild to create sun room.
AGENDA ITEM 12 – TREASURER’S REPORT
The Treasurer’s report for July was accepted and minuted as a true record.
PROPOSED by Cllr Kelly SECONDED by Cllr Richards
AGENDA ITEM 13 – COMMITTEE REPORTS
Cllr Williams reported that the ground source heating system installation had commenced at the Neuadd Dyfi. The total cost of the project is £112,000, of which 20% is match-funded by the community.
Cllr Lloyd said that there were some cashflow issues imposed by the funders which were not insurmountable.
AGENDA ITEM 14 – CORRESPONDENCE
Snowdonia National Park Feedback summary of Town and Community Councils’ evenings in June, including that attended by the Clerk Neil Storkey and Cllr Kelly on 19th June at Neuadd Dyfi.
One Voice Wales NALC legal briefing regarding DATA protection changes
Mangalitsa Pork Thank you card regarding Food Festival
Blood Transfusion Service Neuadd Dyfi Wednesday 4 October 3.00pm to 6.00pm
Snowdonia National Park After several clerk changes within the National Park, a request to review ACCs contact details on their database
Time and Tide Bell, Request from Peter Gingold to attend a meeting on October 3rd to discuss future developments of time and tide bells around the UK coastline.
NALC Letter announcing a partnership with insurance brokers BHIB, preferred partner of Aviva.
Welsh Government North Wales training schedule September to December 2017
One Voice Wales Confirmation of Meirionydd Area meeting in Dolgellau, 26th September 2017 and minutes of 21st June meeting
Gwynedd Council Letter requesting insurance details for old school during our tenancy
Jonathan Howard Freelance film maker informing us if his first short film being filmed in Aberdyfi in october
Bluestone Leasing Welcome pack from Siemens regarding the new CCTV equipment
Gwynedd Council Cambrian Coast railway Committee meeting confirmed for Friday 10th November in Portmadog. (who’s attending? Need to advise by 20th October)
One Voice Wales Code of Conduct Training 27th September, Dragon Theatre Barmouth.
AGENDA ITEM 15 – PUBLICATIONS
Clerk magazine September
Clerks and Council direct September
AGENDA ITEM 16 – ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Mike Richards Cllr Richards is resigning his post as vice chairman, (not from council) due to ill health, and we need a replacement to commence as Chair from May 1st 2018. Agenda item October.
Clerk away The Clerk has to be away from the office tomorrow Tuesday 26th Sept and again Thursday 28th September. The office will be open on Friday to compensate.
Wales Audit Office interview The Clerk was requested to attend an interview with Wales Audit Office officers Steve Frank and Euros Lake on Tuesday 29th August. Update to council.
Car park signing Cllr Pugh asked that the tarmac ‘way in’ ‘way out’ signs in the main car park be re-painted as the existing are very worn at the moment.
Rubbish bins Cllr Pugh said that the current bins situation was unacceptable. The bins for the traders are constantly overflowing and causing problems with gulls. Cllr Pugh was under the impression that a paved area adjacent to the harbour office was to be used for bins. Cllr Owen had spoken with the harbourmaster who had indicated that it might be a possibility. Regardless of their location, Cllr Richards observed that the bins were not being emptied enough.
Lifeboat dedication ceremony Cllr Williams reminded council that the dedication ceremony for the lifeboat was set for Saturday 30th September.
Time & Tide bell Cllr Williams noted that original concerns over the noise from the Time & Tide Bell had not materialised and that in fact it was now hardly ever heard. He was going to have a word with Marcus Vergette to see whether it could be adjusted the ‘increase’ the volume.
Car parking Could we use the poor state of the car park lining as a safety issue, one which we might consider as part of our arguments to support our stand regarding the car park agreements currently under discussion.
Mileposts Cllr Tyrrell had discussed the painting of the mileposts with Sean Wilkes and the resultant safety concerns. As a result, Sean organised traffic lights to enable the work to commence. Cllr Tyrrell asked whether Council was happy to fund the work. There was unanimous approval.
Fireworks Cllr Tyrrell had discussed the cancellation of the New Year fireworks with people in the village and there was a level of disquiet. Cllr Lloyd pointed out that the main consideration was that of safety and that if enough volunteers could be found, the event could be re-instated. The matter was to be raised at the next AA&I meeting and Rushlight be used to inform the community accordingly.
Sand dunes boardwalk Cllr Tyrrell wanted to know what action was to be taken over the boardwalk. Cllr Owen understood that the Harbour Authority might be in a position to fund its renovation.
Road markings Cllr Kelly observed that there were anomalies in the road markings below the Trefeddian which needed clarification.
Pont y Bric boardwalk Cllr Kelly noted that the boardwalk at Pont y Bric was in a bad way and in need of immediate attention.
Hedges Cllr Kelly felt that some of the hedges at Mynedd Isaf were creating significant pavement obstructions, dangerous to pedestrians as they need to walk into the road. It was recognised that these issues were the responsibility of the landowner
Cemetery Cllr Richards noted that there were still space issues at the cemetery. The Clerk will speak again with Arvonia for an update.
Village map Cllr Lloyd showed council the Machynlleth village map sourced by the Clerk and suggested that we might follow suit. Council agreed that it was a good product. This would be an AA&I matter. If this was cleared by AA&I the Clerk will follow the matter up.
AGENDA ITEM 17 – ITEMS FOR RUSHLIGHT
ITEMS FOR PRESS RELEASE
- Dyfi Bridge
- Nandoras Ball
- Speeding issues
The meeting closed at 10.30