MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF ABERDYFI COMMUNITY COUNCIL HELD IN THE OFFICE IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, LITERARY INSTITUTE, ABERDYFI ON MONDAY,
16th APRIL 2018
Present were :- Cllr B Lloyd Chairman
Councillors :- G Jones
J Bradbury Willis
AGENDA ITEM 1 – APOLOGIES
Apologies received from Cllrs. Richards & Reynolds
AGENDA ITEM 2 – CHAIRMAN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS
Cllr Lloyd noted, with sadness, the deaths in recent weeks, of so many elderly village residents.
He also observed that the bad weather hadn’t been very kind to the village over the Easter holiday and trusted that there would be an upturn to boost trade for local businesses in the coming weeks.
AGENDA ITEM 3 – RECEIVE AND CONFIRM MINUTES OF ORDINARY MEETING 19th MARCH
It was agreed that the minutes were a true and accurate record of the ordinary meeting.
PROPOSED by Cllr Kelly and SECONDED by Cllr Tyrrell
AGENDA ITEM 4 – MATTERS ARISING
CL/163 Boundary Commission review.
The Clerk has spoken with the Boundary Commission, who were able to confirm that the proposed ward boundaries would, as Dyfrig Siencyn said, have no implications with regard to the future town and community councils in Gwynedd.
CL/166 Co-option process
The Clerk outlined the process and timetable for the co-option process, with a view to conducting an election or co-option interviews in time for new councillors to attend the June meeting. Richard Harvey would be advised of the vacancies, notices would be posted and the vacancies would be publicised in Rushlight.
CL/166 Internal accounts check
Cllrs Lloyd and Williams conducted a random accounts check on 29th March. !00% accuracy. Cllr Owen noted that many community councils are struggling with the latest external audit regime.
CL/139 Commercial Bins
No detailed plans have been received from the harbourmaster to date. The Clerk will follow up. Cllr Owen pointed out that the existing location of the bins opposite the chemist shop was still causing problems. Cllr Williams suggested that if the bins were kept locked, as they can be, the problem could be alleviated. Cllr Owen noted that the bins being there attracted the fly-tipping from the public.
CL/155 Running Track
The Clerk has met on site with Roger Lunt from MMP Oswestry who is to carry out Land Registry checks and what services might be effected by any plans for future development. See correspondence for letter of confirmation from Roger Lunt. Cllr Llloyd confirmed that he had discussed the matter with Cllr Richards who suggested that Council should brief Bruntons Solicitors for more searches, LLC1 etc. Cllr Lloyd was sensitive to the budgetary issues and that Council must be careful when considering expenditure on this project in the early stages, in advance of the public meeting in the Autumn. Cllr Tyrrell agreed it was worthwhile to pursue the project but was wary of the potential for its successful completion. He had been made aware of the strong reservations from Ann Lakin in the village.
Cllr Bradbury-Willis asked whether the caravan parks in the village had been informed of this idea and what response had been generated. There has been no official overture with the parks but the Cllr. Lloyd indicated that the communication process leading up to the public meeting will provide ample opportunity. Cllr Williams pointed out that all communication with the community must be totally objective and carefully presented.
CL/159 Neuadd Dyfi car park
Tom ‘Trefeddian’ Jones is to clear the Neuadd dyfi car park of mud and turf this Thursday. He will also be felling the ash trees on the boundary, which are infected by ash dieback.
Cllr Owen noted at this point that there had been enquiries, at the TIC, about charging points in the village for electric vehicles. After a discussion, it was generally, but not unanimously, agreed that the charging problem represents a potential future opportunity but with the costs involved any solution would require significant levels of investment. Cllr Williams felt that it would be sensible to discuss the matter with Gwynedd Council to ascertain if there were plans to provide such facilities in their car parks. Cllr Lloyd agreed it was important not to ‘bury our heads in the sand’ and the matter should be monitored on an ongoing basis.
Snowdonia have informed the owners of Leadenhall that the offending outlet flue must be re-positioned.
CL/174 Old school footpath
The Clerk is liaising with Gwynedd Footpaths and Highways to sort out the problem of overhanging ivy/tree which appears to be in danger of imminent collapse.
CL/174 Time and Tide bell
Cllrs Lloyd and Williams attended the Time and Tide Bell meeting in the council office on 21st March.
CL/174 CCTV Notices
The Clerk has checked the wharf and there are notices on display informing the public of the CCTV security cameras.
AGENDA ITEM 5 – ELECTRONIC COUNTERS – PUBLIC TOILETS
The electronic counters were installed on Good Friday and the Clerk can update council on the readings taken today at 15.00. The system appears to be working well. The clerk is to ascertain the confidence factor percentages from the suppliers, if known.
Cllr Tyrrell asked whether the Council has decided if the long term plan is to take them over. Cllr Lloyd pointed out that that decision could not be considered until we have the counters’ analysis. The Clerk confirmed the existing broad outline maintenance costs.
Cllr Owen stated that he would oppose any plan to make the toilet facility a chargeable service. He also said that 90% of the community are against the idea of charges.
Cllr Williams said that he felt the toilets issue was a county-wide problem and that any decision should be carefully considered in the context of the facts.
Cllr Tyrrell noted that the gents toilets were in unacceptable condition and that Council should pay to conduct a deep-clean. The metal rubbish bin was also in shocking condition. Gwynedd will be asked to replace the bin.
AGENDA ITEM 6 – ALLOTMENT VACANCY
There have been no takers for the vacant plot on the allotment. The Clerk will keep publicising it in Rushlight and has discussed the maintenance of the vacant plot with Alun Stedman. It will be strimmed of excess growth to maintain the allotment appearance until a new tenant is found, remembering that priority would be given to an Aberdyfi resident.
AGENDA ITEM 7 – TIME & TIDE BELL
Cllr Williams informed the meeting that a meeting had been attended by himself, Cllr Lloyd and Peter Murdoch in Council office, with the Time and tide bell volunteers. There is an initiative to raise the national profile of the Time & Tide Bell coastal network. It was felt that a leaflet might work well, and that perhaps social media and that the existing website needs a total revamp. Cllr Lloyd felt that Jo Clanfield could be approached to include the Time and Tide Bell as part of ‘Teach Outdoors’.
AGENDA ITEM 8 – COMMANDO FUN RUN
The Commando Fun Run will continue as part of Doveyfest in August, run primarily by Jo Clanfield as part of her ‘Teach Outdoors’ programme.
AGENDA ITEM 9 – GWYNEDD COUNCIL REPORT
Cllr Owen had been unable to contact Dafydd Gibbard with regard to discussing the car park agreement support letter.
AGENDA ITEM 10 – PLANNING
NP5/50/LB171B Fferm Tafolfraig, Aberdyfi
Listed Building Consent for demolition of existing ‘sun room’
APPLICATION VIA E-MAIL
Snowdonia National Park has asked whether or not this council is happy for all future planning applications to be forwarded by e-mail, as a matter of normal practice. After discussion, it was agreed that for an initial three months, Aberdyfi Community Council would accept e-mail applications. The clerk will advise Planning Department accordingly.
AGENDA ITEM 11 – TREASURERS REPORT
Proposed Cllr Tyrrell Seconded Cllr Kelly
AGENDA ITEM 12 – COMMITTEE REPORTS
The plans for the new wharf are now ready for submission the planning authority. Cllr Kelly noted that the strong and positive response, by the village, to the public meeting at which the final plans were submitted, had been very well received.
Cllr Owen, as Chair, also noted that Gwynedd were very positive at how Aberdyfi community conducted itself at the Harbour meetings.
There was general disquiet in Council that the boardwalk over the dunes was still closed for acess and that the level of erosion on the dunes at that point was considerable.
Cllr Williams reported that the meeting was positive and that gratitude was expressed for the extra support funding from this council, intended to assist Des George source support staff – cleaners, general assistance etc.
Cllr Owen also pointed out that new fridge and cookers would be installed in the Neuadd Dyfi kitchen. The main hall also is in line for decoration. Cllr Kelly noted that the conference facilities at the Neuadd Dyfi were unique in this part of Wales and that the possibilities for growth in coming years was significant.
AGENDA ITEM 13 – CORRESPONDENCE
Gwynedd Council Aberdovey Golf Club premises licence application. Two letters received 27th March 3rd then April 3rd. Including floor plan changes by Spencer Pugh.
One Voice Wales Confirmation of membership 2018/19
MMP Letter from Roger Lunt regarding the Running Track
One Voice Wales Letter confirming Welsh Government’s consideration of a tax on disposable plastics
BBC Radio Cymru e-mail of thanks for referring BBC to Dr Alun Stedman, who was interviewed live on last Thursday’s lunchtime slot.
HM Revenue & Customs Information regarding changes to the way in which VAT126 claims are made
BDO Notice of advertisement on annual audit Y/E 31st March 2018
AGENDA ITEM 14 – PUBLICATIONS
AGENDA ITEM 15 – ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Paul Reeves has not been instructed to commence the beach clean this year.
The Clerk has tried to follow up with Gwynedd but as yet no confirmation of whether
Paul is to carry out the job this year.
The Clerk had a meeting with NatWest Bank in Aberystwyth last week. They are unable to
comply with Wales Audit Office Regulations regarding multiple ‘signatures’, as required for
all councils, for the payment of online invoices. Given that Barclays,the Clerk understands,
has announced another branch closure, there appears little option for the long
term future but to open discussions with Santander. He will report back to council in due
Cllr Kelly reminded the meeting that we need to register our web address without delay.
Cllr Tyrrell noted that the blue and white wooden bus shelter has been flooding and needs
Cllr Bradbury-Willis informed the meeting that volunteers had been collecting rubbish from beach as a team effort.
He also noted that the kissing gates, responsibility of Network Rail, were still not operating appropriately.
AGENDA ITEM 16 – ITEMS FOR RUSHLIGHT
- Re-cycling in the village
- Community Council vacancies
- Social Housing – primary school site
The meeting closed at 20.45