MINUTES OF THE ORDINARY MEETING OF ABERDYFI COMMUNITY COUNCIL HELD IN THE OFFICE IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER, LITERARY INSTITUTE, ABERDYFI ON MONDAY,
15th JANUARY 2018
Present were :- Cllr B Lloyd Chairman
Councillors :- J Bradbury Willis
AGENDA ITEM 1 – APOLOGIES
Apologies received from Cllr Pugh, Cllr Richards and Cllr Owen
PRESENTATION BY WILL STOCKFORD, ABERDYFI HARBOURMASTER
Cllr Lloyd introduced Will Stockford, Aberdyfi Harbourmaster to the meeting, who, on behalf of Gwynedd Council Maritime Department, briefly outlined the forthcoming beach safety signage project, from Church Bay to Tywyn.
Mr Stockdale informed the meeting that the, hopefully final, sixth draft was now complete after a great deal of work on the part of the Maritime Department and the RNLI Community Life Saving Coordinator Josh Cooper. A copy of the draft was to be left with the Council for examination. The new signage is planned to be in place by the end of May. Cllr Tyrrell asked whether the signs installation would include a maintenance programme which would address the problems of rusting and unsightly erosion. Mr Stockdale suggested that the budget would allow for galvanising of steel components or alloy construction, but not stainless steel.
Cllr O’Reilly sought clarification on the signs sizing and whether the project was part of a national campaign. Mr Stockdale advised that the project was part of a national initiative that had been in the planning for over two years, and that the draft document detailed the size of the signage. He reminded the meeting, also clearly indicated on the signage, that Aberdyfi and Tywyn did not have lifeguards. Cllr Bradbury-Willis asked whether the information regarding the project could be used in the forthcoming Aberdyfi brochure. Mr Stockford affirmed that this was no problem.
Cllr Williams pointed out that many of the signs would be placed on existing bases, such as stone walls, and Mr Stockdale pointed out there was an awareness of the fact that the project had been planned in the context of minimising the impact on the beauty of Aberdyfi’s environment.
Cllr O’Reilly asked whether the containers on the vicinity of the yacht club, some owned by commercial operators, were paying rental. Mr Stockford said that they were not at the moment and the matter might be addressed, but at another time, in the harbour office, rather than this meeting.
Cllr Lloyd requested that Mr Stockdale remind Barry Davies, Head of Gwynedd Maritime, that this Council is waiting for his response to the question of Penhelig Parc shelter renovation, and could he ask Barry to contact the Clerk for an update.
Mr Stockdale was thanked by Cllr Lloyd for his time and left the meeting. The Council meeting then resumed its agenda.
AGENDA ITEM 2 – CHAIRMAN’S ANNOUNCEMENTS
Chairman Cllr Lloyd expressed his gratitude to all those unpaid volunteers, in particular Cllrs Kelly and O’Reilly who assisted in the planning and marshalling of the New Year’s Eve village firework display, without whom the event would not have taken place.
Cllr O’Reilly wished to place on record her thanks to Kate Sharples and Dan, who had selflessly remained on hand after the event to clear up the site of all rubbish left behind.
AGENDA ITEM 3 – RECEIVE AND CONFIRM MINUTES OF ORDINARY MEETING 11th DECEMBER
It was agreed that the minutes were a true and accurate record of the ordinary meeting.
PROPOSED by Cllr Reynolds and SECONDED by Cllr Williams
AGENDA ITEM 4 – MATTERS ARISING
- CL/85 Village map
The new village map artwork has been forwarded to Cllr Bradbury-Willis for use in the 2018 brochure
- CL/121 Neuadd Dyfi
To be discussed under agenda item 5
- CL/125 Rubbish bins relocation
To be discussed under agenda item 9
- CL/128 Gwelfor Road gulley blockage
Michael Barnes has cleared the blocked gully
AGENDA ITEM 5 – BUDGET – 2018/19 PRECEPT
The precept for 2017/18 was agreed by Council at last year’s
January 16th Council meeting and set at ……….…………………………………..…. 31,510.00
A Finance Committee, (Cllrs Lloyd, Owen, Williams and the Clerk)
meeting was held on Thursday 11th January to discuss the 2018/19 precept.
It is proposed that, given that the budget for 2017/18 is on course
for achieving targets set, apart from the extraordinary payment of
£6000.00 to Gwynedd Council to keep the village toilets open, the precept
should be uplifted by 3% inflation resulting in an increase of………………..……… 945.00
It is also proposed that from, and including the financial year 2018/19, 50% of the net revenues from the Neuadd Dyfi Pay & display car park should be donated to the Neuadd Dyfi, at the end of October each year, to assist in the funding of support staff for Des George, whose work level is increasing as the Neuadd Dyfi gets ever more busy.
The level of this funding will become apparent at the end of next year’s
season – hence the October/November target
It is also proposed that a further donation to the Neuadd Dyfi
of 2500.00 should be contributed, from a further increase in
the precept, again to assist in funding support staff for Des George……………. 2,500.00
Therefore, the Precept for 2018/19 will be set as follows: £34,955.00
The proposal was put to the meeting and there was a unanimous vote by those present in favour of the precept increase as set out by the Clerk.
There was a declaration of interest by Cllrs Lloyd, Owen, Reynolds and Kelly, as Councillors with a vote on the Neuadd Dyfi Management Committee
AGENDA ITEM 6 – APPOINTMENT OF INTERNAL AUDITOR
In the context of Internal Auditor John Robert’s retirement, it is proposed Steve Lister should be considered for the position. He is a qualified accountant, lives in Aberdyfi, has been associated with the village for over 50 years, and has expressed interest in the position. He satisfies the required criteria for such a position.
The proposal to appoint Steve Lister as the internal auditor was put to the meeting and there was a unanimous vote by those present in favour of Steve Lister’s appointment.
The Clerk would like to write to John Roberts to thank him for his invaluable work over many years – he has always been totally supportive of this community council and his experience and guidance will be missed.
The Chairman invited two Councillors to conduct and brief internal review of the accounts, conducted as usual (10 minutes or so) one day later this week or next week. Those who agree to do so to contact the Clerk to arrange a suitable day and time.
Cllrs Lloyd and Cllr Williams to conduct the check.
AGENDA ITEM 7 – DONATION REQUESTS
There have been written request for financial support from the following organisations:
Meirionydd Young Farmers
GMB Ambulance Service
Neuadd Dyfi community lunch volunteers
National Eisteddfod Cardiff
AA&I Brochure funding request
Donations last year, no request this year
Meirionydd Access Group
It is proposed that the following causes should be supported.
- Wales Air Ambulance Charity £150.00
- AA&I / Aberdyfi Brochure £1500.00
- Dail Dysynni £50.00
- Meirionydd Young Farmers £100.00
- Urdd, Builth Wells 50.00
There was unanimous approval for the donations requests as set out above and the Clerk is to forward cheques accordingly.
AGENDA ITEM 8 – RISK ASSESSMENT/CODE OF CONDUCT/
REGISTER OF INTERESTS
The Risk assessment stands unchanged from last year. There is only the matter of the lack a handover document which may be required in the event of the Clerk being run over by a bus or other catastrophe. The Clerk will work on this aspect of the risk assessment as time permits.
Code of Conduct
Full copy of the Code, as updated by the Clerk 2017, given to new Councillors, Miriam O’Reilly, Bob Tyrrell, James Bradbury-Willis and Brian Kelly.
Register of Interest 2017/18
CL/102/20.11.17 Proposal of letter of congratulation to Trefeddian Hotel on award of best loved hotel in Wales. Cllr Lloyd, as Hotel manager, declared an interest.
AGENDA ITEM 9 – RE-LOCATION OF COMMERCIAL RUBBISH BINS OPPOSITE CHEMIST
The Clerk outlined the problems regarding the commercial bins opposite the chemist shop regarding flytipping, gulls, unsightly appearance and the degree to which the area represents an eyesore to the public and not an appropriate image at the centre of the village. Cllr Owen has discussed the matter with Gwynedd, and the Harbour Authority has suggested moving the bins to the area adjacent to the gents toilets. Timber fencing with combination lockable gates would be installed. The combination would be known only to those businesses with commercial bins, and Gwynedd Waste Disposal. Steffan Jones, head of Gwynedd Waste Disposal has already indicated his support for the initiative and would instruct his team accordingly. The covered nature of the area would also help keep the gulls away. There is room for at least 4 bins.
The Clerk noted that Gwynedd Harbour Authority has asked for the matter to be discussed at Council in order to enable anyone who had concerns to notify Council accordingly.
Cllr Reynolds expressed concern about the waste from the flats.
Cllr Bradbury-Willis asked whether the noticeboard would be re-located. The Clerk indicated that the board might be relocated to the TIC building.
Cllr Tyrrell asked about the maintenance of the noticeboards and the Clerk indicated that was an issue for later discussion if required.
Cllr Williams pointed out that most property owners were encouraged to use the facility at Nantiesin car park, which had proved successful in reducing the amount of flytipping. Cllr Bradbury-Willis noted that Church Street represented a significant problem. Cllr Lloyd pointed out that flytipping and anti-social dumping was a nationwide problem.
AGENDA ITEM 10 – GWYNEDD COUNCIL REPORT
In the absence of Cllr Owen due to illness, there was no Gwynedd Council report
AGENDA ITEM 11 – PLANNING
NP5/70/718 Hafan, Aberdyfi
Construction of single storey extension, replacement conservatory, rooflights and patio extension
NP5/50/449D Plas Uchaf, Aberdyfi
Construction of garage
AGENDA ITEM 12 – TREASURERS REPORT
Proposed Cllr Tyrrell Seconded Cllr Kelly
AGENDA ITEM 13 – COMMITTEE REPORTS
No committee reports
AGENDA ITEM 14 – CORRESPONDENCE
Welsh Government Acknowledgement of this Council’s observations regarding the Dyfi Bridge lack of A487/A493 traffic island speed limit on the new road. Cllr Kelly noted that Barmouth Bridge had been earmarked for significant investment.
Network Rail Advice letter of change of date for public consultation regarding Penhelyg Halt. January 11th, Penhelyg Arms, 3.00pm to 7.00pm
Bill Lister Further letter regarding the development ideas for Craig y Lanch
Gwynedd Highways Works programme January 2018. The Clerk informed the meeting that the Abertafol roadworks are many weeks away from completion.
He also informed the meeting that the blocked culvert at the bottom of the school steps has been earmarked for repair.
One Voice Wales Open letter from Chairman, Cllr Mike Cuddy
HMRC Operational changes to VAT claims process
Cllr Mike Stevens e-mail Cyclepath update.
North Wales Police Progress at last on the CCTV link-up with the police
The Clerk noted that access all CCTV footage was governed by the Data Protection Act and that there were procedures that had to followed by all interested parties, including the police.
John Roberts Letter of resignation of Internal Auditor John Roberts
Gwynedd Council Finance Confirmation of deadline for precept application – Friday 26th January
Cambrian Coast Railway Liaison Committee meeting and request for this Council complete the attached from by 19th February
AGENDA ITEM 15 – PUBLICATIONS
Clerks & Council Direct
AGENDA ITEM 16 – ANY OTHER BUSINESS
Cllr O’Reilly Cllr O’Reilly confirmed that the Go Safe project was underway. She also expressed concern that some neighbours of hers, as they were leisure walking on the course, had been told by a group of golfers that the golf course was not a right of way for walkers. Cllr Williams pointed out that the course was common land, open to walkers and golfers alike, but that common sense should prevail and care taken by all parties to avoid injuries caused by golf balls.
Cllr Bradbury-Willis Cllr Bradbury-Willis noted that the kissing gates over the railway were faulty and required attention. He raised the issue of ‘unauthorised’ installation of a handrail. The Chairman suggested that it was not a good idea because of possible planning and liability issues.
Cllr Jones Cllr Jones informed the meeting that John Rowlands has had his vehicle vandalised three times in the village. Seaview Terrace and Chapel Square.
Cllr Tyrrell Cllr Tyrrell asked whether it was possible to get the railway bridges re-painted whilst Network Rail were working in the village.
Cllr Kelly Cllr Kelly noted that the Network Rail traffic lights at the Penhelig Arms needed re-organising.
AGENDA ITEM 17 – ITEMS FOR RUSHLIGHT
- Network Rail update
- Rubbish bins relocation
- CCTV Update
- Beach signage
The meeting closed at 20.45